• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
lenny2007

Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso

Had a good look at a jaeger lecoultre reverso the other day, very interesting watch.

Not something I personally would wear but was wondering if anyone on here owns one?

To me, although clearly a very nice watch, the reverso function on it seemed a little like a gimmick.

Guest robert75

One of the most iconic watches out there and completely in house. What isn't there to like about it???

I'm not disagreeing about it being mega iconic and something obviously a lot of people

Would love to have in their collection, the quality was obvious when holding it, I just wonder how useful the reverso part of it actually is.

I have one. Love it. It is a gimmick nowadays really but it is based on a design for Polo players in the 30s.

Mine has the sapphire crystal back too so it is perfect for looking at the movement :)

Edited by Matthew999

The one I saw had the time on one side and a chronograph on the other side, would love to see a picture of yours with the movement on show. What's the reason the Polo players had the reverso thing?

Will get a pic now.

The glass back then was nothing like as robust as it is now and so would've been prone to getting smashed. Flipping it over just protected the front as only the back of the case would've been visible :)

Excuse the terrible pic does not do it justice at all! I would recommend looking at them in a shop because it looks like a different watch!

Mine is on alligator leather.

28u65xs.jpg

ix5kli.jpg

33bjup0.jpg

Guest robert75

I'm not disagreeing about it being mega iconic and something obviously a lot of people

Would love to have in their collection, the quality was obvious when holding it, I just wonder how useful the reverso part of it actually is.

About as useful as a helium valve on a Seamaster, rotating bezel on pretty much any divers watch, a chronograph function, 300m water resistance etc etc etc....... Unless of course you are a professional diver, race car driver or own a couple of horses.

The reverso was developed for polo players but doubt too many people out there wearing one are playing polo.

About as useful as a helium valve on a Seamaster, rotating bezel on pretty much any divers watch, a chronograph function, 300m water resistance etc etc etc....... Unless of course you are a professional diver, race car driver or own a couple of horses.

The reverso was developed for polo players but doubt too many people out there wearing one are playing polo.

Just my opinion, not meaning to upset any one!!

I was judging the watch I had seen which had the two faces, Matthews with the movement on show is stunning and one I would most definitely wear!

Anyway, the spinning bezel has a major use for me... When bored in a meeting I fill my time spinning the bezel lol

I personally think it's a great watch, growing up and watching those old Sir John Mills films with him wearing the Steel Reverso has always made me want one, i will get one one day with the double dial in the form of the miniturised Atmos Clock dials which JLC make, another grail watch and fabulous in my opinion............... :)

There is a cheap similar version made by another Swiss firm - just a thought if you're hard pressed for cash, or the wife is taking an interest............ :censored:

Mike

I bought one new in the late nineties. Single sided stainless steel with bracelet & manual movement. Beautiful watch ! Size was Ok on my smallish wrist too. Didn't wear it all that regularly as it really was a dress watch. I sold it about 5 years ago to fund another purchase & regret it ! Wish I still had it ! Rovert.

The pictures above have really changed my opinion on that watch, the more I look at it the more I want one. I particularly like the blue hands.

Love them, they look gorgeous.

Can see why the reverso feature is seen as a gimmicks, but it's a classic design so can't moan to much. Love the blue hands.

The reversing mechanism is what makes the watch iconic. Granted the modern interpretation of the Reverso with a chronograph, GMT dial or a display back is more useful - but the good old steel case back is still nice, particularly if you send it back to JLC for an engraving.

Custom designs are expensive, but a couple of initials are surprisingly affordable and certainly personalise the watch (+ make it unsaleable obviously!)

Personnalisation_Reverso_640_360_s_c1_center_center.jpg

(photo from the net)

The reversing mechanism is what makes the watch iconic. Granted the modern interpretation of the Reverso with a chronograph, GMT dial or a display back is more useful - but the good old steel case back is still nice, particularly if you send it back to JLC for an engraving.

Custom designs are expensive, but a couple of initials are surprisingly affordable and certainly personalise the watch (+ make it unsaleable obviously!)

Personnalisation_Reverso_640_360_s_c1_center_center.jpg

(photo from the net)

No, not necessarily... I rather like the personalization and a good story to go along with it. Esp. nice if dated as well.. one man's opinion.

The JLC Reverso is a great iconic design, movement and value. And engraved on opposite side,  a classy piece of jewelry.

They're producing, or have produced, a limited edition of 26 with a British racing green dial and an engraving of the tower that holds Big Ben and Westminster on the back. Might be old news, my copy of QP magazine just arrived!