• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
kevkojak

The Tag In A Bag...

I don't know where to start with this really.

A few weeks ago I received this watch from a friend of a friend. It is (was!) a Tag Heuer CA1211 F1 Chronograph, but the owner - after a few drinks I gather - took a set of watch screwdrivers to it and didn't stop until it was in a thousand pieces!!!!

We've now lovingly come to term it the Tag in a Bag.

It came my way to see whether it I'd buy it and if was worth anything as spare parts - which I didn't think it was - but since then he's had a change of heart as it holds some sentimental value.

Long story short, he wants it back as a working watch.

So where do I begin???

Before I upset my watchmaker (really upset him) by presenting this bag of spares and asking him to crack on, can some of you fine folks offer some advice?

First up, is it even feasible or cost effective to rebuild an ETA chronograph movement from the ground up? How big a job is it, and what sort of costs would be incurred if there were say a screw missing?

Secondly, how much would a replacement movement be and where the heck would I get one????

I've already let him know for certain that the cost of rebuilding this watch will outstrip its value, working on a value of £250 +/-. The case and bracelet are fine, the dial is good and the glass is in great shape, but the hands and bezel look tired and will probably need replacing, both of which will be expensive parts I'd assume.

Let me know what you think as I'd like to sort this for him without it costing the earth. In the meantime, some photo's for your amusement!

DSC03338_zps34507934.jpg

DSC03336_zps0b2d1765.jpg

Try telling your friend that the dog ate it.

Well. it certainly looks like a dog's breakfast for sure!

Try a Google on "Woodland Technical" and take the link there, ask for Greg and explain your problem, try a photo or two and see? You can only ask! Greg is one of the few guys I know of who is willing to even consider working on vintage Timex, and does a complete strip clean and lube for very reasonable prices - - OK, I know that's not a TAG in a Bag, but he does restoration and re-furb work on high end stuff as well. I can vouch for his work on the Timex end, and he's a contributor to the Ticka Forum as well :lol:

2c worth and worth a try!

Which ETA movement is it exactly ? Looks like it possibly once was a Cal 251.262. There should be a number stamped on it, like this:

251.262.jpg

That looks just like the first full strip down of a Seiko quartz I did.

Suffice to say that its still in as many pieces.............................

Secondly, how much would a replacement movement be and where the heck would I get one????

If that's what it is - or one of the similar ETA Cal. 251.2x2 movements, you can get them from the same source as that image.

That one is $111.

Edited by DeeDubya

I don't know where to start with this really.

First up, is it even feasible or cost effective to rebuild an ETA chronograph movement from the ground up?

As quoted by all the best (Haynes) manuals: Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. :hammer:

It's been done before (this one's in a BretlBling: http://raulhorology....ag/eta-251-262/

yup, if its still available just change the movment and swap the top plate over that has the 'tag heuer' on it , tbh if you are upto it have a crac yourself, thats nothing compared to a bag of 7750 mechanical parts :)

Edited by pugster

First time i've actually laughed out load whilst lurking around this fourum, gg.

That's actually fantastic.

mmmm putting something like that together when you took it apart yourself is bad enough but -

A ) are you sure all the parts are there?

&

B ) are we sure it actually worked before being "lovingly dismantled"?

not sure about the hands but last time i chased one of those bezels it was north or 50 quid and i don't remember if that included vat and delivery.

find out your mates budget, pass the baggy-taggy on to some poor unsuspecting expert (much as your mate has done to you) and move on :lol:

my gues is that with a quote for all the repllacement parts and labour vat and delivery the watch may not be quite as sentimentally schweet as it once was.

note to self - wear casio when drinking :D

Edited by Rotundus

hi I think you can get a movement but the last I got like that was £98 +vat my watch maker got but that was the trade cost as he keep me wating a long time for some work he did for me. so how much you need to add on I am not sure I would not try and fix it thay all go worng as that get old well the ones I have had do.all the best woody77

Edited by woody77

B ) are we sure it actually worked before being "lovingly dismantled"?

That was my first thought. Why take it apart if it worked fine to start with?

I wouldn't bother taking the chance that it got put back together and didn't work. At the very least, I'd check the coils for continuity, but that won't mean anything if the IC is kaput.

I'd replace the movement (and I'd get a new dial while I was at it, that one looks like it's seen better days).

Actually, sod it. Get a better one off ebay and swap the case back. Tell him you had the whole thing refurbished.

Edited by Who. Me?

Well now, apparently the movement is just an ETA 251.262 with a 'Tag Heuer' plate on it.

A full replacement movement and replacement bezel should run in around £150, and another member has offered to relume the hands and dial as a favour!

I thought it was lost cause frankly, but it looks like this will be up and ticking again in the very near future.