• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
SEIKO7A38

The Biggest, Baddest (And Brownest?) 7A38 Of Them All …

You'll notice I didn't write 'The Ugliest' – it's not quite (my personal opinion). :unsure:

But first a few words about spare parts, in deference to our friends over on the SCWF. :grin:

Personal Text: John, Spares it's all about spares !! :)

Although at the time, I didn't own either version of this particular 7A38, I started collecting odd spare parts for them last year.

First came a NOS sweep second hand (un-trimmed end):

P1070000_resized.jpg

Then a minute chapter ring with lume pips:

P1070002_resized.jpg

The fairly thick domed 31.0mm Ø crystal:

P1070003_resized.jpg

A (rotating) bezel gasket O-Ring:

P1070004_resized.jpg

The last photo, of a pair of 'tuning fork' chrono' sub-dial hands, should look familiar to those of you well-versed in 7A38's.

P1070001_resized.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38

The next one will be a definite 'giveaway' as to the identity of this particular 7A38:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-NOS_Bezel.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, someone offered me a NOS Bezel. Wasn't something I was looking for, at the time,

but having made an error of judgement, and ending up missing out on one that came up on eBay in December last year,

I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. :no: So I just haggled his asking price down to a more reasonable level. :wink:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-NOS_Bezel-P1070005-Resized.jpg

You'll notice that in (my) photo above, the metal part of the bezel, with finger grips, has a slightly different brownish hue.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

I'd been looking for (what I previously believed to be) the black-chrome plated version of the 7A38-6020, ever

since I managed to find a half-decent example of the stainless one, for a reasonable price back in March. :)

Here's the product data for the 7A38-6020 as shown on Seiko's database:

7A38-6020SeikoOceania.jpg

Case Materials: SS = Stainless Steel, and BCRP = Black Chrome plated. Right ? :unsure:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Here are a few that I've seen over the last three years (or in earlier photos which I've later right-clicked and saved):

This is the first one I ever saw, on eBay in the States in April 2009 (during my 'I don't do Divers as a rule' :ph34r: phase):

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-April2009-1.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-April2009-2.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-April2009-3.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-April2009-7.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-April2009-10.jpg

And it looks black in those photos, right ? So that's how I captioned them .... and continued to do so, religiously. :duh:

Note in the last photo, that the bracelet has been fitted with a couple of non-original (flat stainless) adjustment links.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Here are a few that I've seen over the last three years (or in earlier photos which I've later right-clicked and saved) ....

I found this one on posted on the old SCWF, in Martback's Collection Update thread, in May 2009:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-OnLeatherStrapWrongSweepHand-SCWF-Martback.jpg

He'd apparently bought it on eBay in June 2008:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-OnLeatherStrapWrongSweepHand-eBay-June2008-1.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-OnLeatherStrapWrongSweepHand-eBay-June2008-2.jpg

Apart from the non-original leather strap, note that it had also been fitted with an incorrect sweep second hand.

The bezel insert has split at the top (a common problem) and the insert's lettering has faded badly – to almost white.

I also found one tucked away (top R.H. corner) in this photo of his 7A38 collection, posted by GordonH on the old SCWF:

DisplayCase-GordonH-SCWF-April2009.jpg

Gordon appears to have a particular affinity for black-chrome coated 7A38's. Or should I say, black-ish coloured 7A38's.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Here's a nicely wabi'd example belonging to M4TT. He's posted these two photos of it on both WUS and TZ-UK:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-WUS-M4TT-Wristshot.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-WUS-M4TT.jpg

Matt is the only person so far who has managed to come close to capturing the real colour of this watch in his photos. :thumbsup:

It is actually the deepest shade of (dark) chocolate brown .... over black chrome plating.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

One of the most recent I saw, in September, on eBay Italy was this well worn, rather poorly photographed example:

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220854743200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_950

SEIKO CRONO 100 SPORT ANNI 70

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Sept2011.jpg

I did place a couple of low initial bids on it, subsequently only to have them cancelled. :mad:

Apparently the seller succumbed to someone else's 'off eBay' offer to end the auction early. :taz:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

I did place a couple of low initial bids on it, subsequently only to have them cancelled. :mad:

Apparently the seller succumbed to someone else's 'off eBay' offer to end the auction early. :taz:

So, my apologies to anyone who may have been watching the next one, for resorting to the same under-handed tactics. :naughty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150677536446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4733wt_1327

Seiko vintage chronograph sports 100

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2011-2.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2011-1.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2011-3.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2011-4.jpg

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2011-5.jpg

Features:

Rare Seiko sports 100 watchmade approx. 1980 years.

The watch has 7A38 well known seiko movement with 15 jewels

Watch is working perfectly as should.

About the state there is a signs of a litlle more use.

The glass have in the middle some scratches the rotating bezel is working.

On the case and bracelet have also signs of use.

The housing has PVD coated

Diameter of the watch is approx. 43mm.

The watch has interesting military looking.

Please feel free to contact me about any question arises!

Please take a look at nice pictures, it is worth of a thousand words ....

Weirdly enough, the funniest thing is that this one came up on eBay, the very next day after I was offered the NOS bezel.

Kismet ? :dontgetit:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

.... the funniest thing is that this one came up on eBay, the very next day after I was offered the NOS bezel.

It was back on the 17th October that I actually did the (off-eBay) deal with the seller, and paid him,

.... but he didn't actually get around to posting it (from Hungary) until 10 days later on the 28th. :disgust:

Claimed he'd lost my address :rolleyes: so the watch didn't actually arrive till this Thursday (3rd November). :angry:

Knowing that spare removable adjustment links for these are rarer than rocking horse poo ....

I'd already asked the seller to count up the (total) number of bracelet links - there were 19 .... :thumbup:

so I knew it was going to fit me (as is), because that's the same number my stainless 7A38-6020 has. :)

It arrived looking very much like the seller's photos, except that the crystal was significantly more scratched,

and there was some worse rubbing wear to the coating on the underside of the bracelet (not shown in his photos).

.... and of course, it wasn't black, as it appeared in his photos, but a very deep shade of darkest chocolate brown.

I'd already come across this strange anomoly where BRCP 'black chrome plated' 7A38's appear to be 'painted',

with the 7A38-704x range - where NOS examples are most definitely dark grey (over a base black chrome coating).

Also, I, and no doubt others have, noticed that Seiko tended to re-use certain case designs with other movements ....

So it wasn't any real surprise when this cropped up in a FS thread on the SCWF's Trading Post latter part of last month:

Seiko8123-62807A38-6020_lookalike.jpg

This non-chrono quartz diver 'little brother' to my 7A38-6020 is an 8123-6280.

Unfortunately, the original FS thread on SCTP is one of many threads lost during the SCWF's recent 'upgrade'. :rolleyes:

However, I did have the foresight to copy the sellers photo caption (as well), before it disappeared into the ether:

A strange diver with a worn chocolate-brown finish, maybe a Giugiaro diver – $120
Edited by SEIKO7A38

So, as you'll have read, from my first couple of posts, I'd already got a NOS bezel and crystal ready to fit. :)

Whereas I've umm'ed an ah'd, in the past, elsewhere about re-painting my 'beater' 7A38-704C as a 'test' ....

This one most definitely needs it. If I fit the NOS bezel, there's going to be a serious colour mis-match. :thumbsdown:

I was planning to take some 'before and after' photos this morning, but the natural available daylight is cr*p.

But I will do. :photo: Promise. :wink:

In the meantime, going back through the other photos that I've posted in this thread ....

It isn't actually M4TT's two photos which best show the true colour of this watch, but this one:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-OnLeatherStrapWrongSweepHand-eBay-June2008-2.jpg

Note the (unworn) underside of the watch case. Mine is almost exactly the same colour (and underneath the clasp).

I feel a blow-over re-spray job coming on soon. :artist: DEFINITELY this time. :wink2:

To which end, I've ordered some paint, specifically Humbrol (Railway) Pullman Umber Brown. Arrived this morning:

paint_splat_540_acrylic_48352b.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Save all that faffing about and get yourself a decent one like this ....

I'd love to, Derek. I already have one in stainless - though it's nowhere as nice as yours was. :wink2:

so I knew it was going to fit me (as is), because that's the same number my stainless 7A38-6020 has. :)

7A38-6020P1040587.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38

I'd love to, Derek. I already have one in stainless - though it's nowhere as nice as yours was. :wink2:

Seems to me I DID have one of these not too long ago :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Serial flippers both. :acute:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

I was planning to take some 'before and after' photos this morning, but the natural available daylight is cr*p.

But I will do. :photo: Promise. :wink:

Better late than never, here's a few 'before' photos:

7A38-6020-P1070421.jpg

7A38-6020-P1070422.jpg

7A38-6020-P1070423.jpg

It arrived looking very much like the seller's photos, except that the crystal was significantly more scratched ....

7A38-6020-P1070424.jpg

.... and there was some worse rubbing wear to the coating on the underside of the bracelet (not shown in his photos).
7A38-6020-P1070425.jpg

Note the remnants of original matt dark brown colour coating on the end link / fixing tube in the photo above.

The Humbrol Pullman Umber Brown paint I'd bought didn't turn out to be quite as dark as their online swatch.

So I'll be gradually mixing matt black in with it, until I can get a reasonable colour match to the original.

Then, before tackling the whole watch, I'm first going to do a few 'dry runs' on that section of bracelet.

Edited by SEIKO7A38

You'll be surprised what an old bodger can do with a vintage Badger 150-IL airbrush. :artist: Just wait and see. :whistle:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

.... and there was some worse rubbing wear to the coating on the underside of the bracelet (not shown in his photos).
7A38-6020-P1070425.jpg

Note the remnants of original matt dark brown colour coating on the end link / fixing tube in the photo above.

The Humbrol Pullman Umber Brown paint I'd bought didn't turn out to be quite as dark as their online swatch.

So I'll be gradually mixing matt black in with it, until I can get a reasonable colour match to the original.

Then, before tackling the whole watch, I'm first going to do a few 'dry runs' on that section of bracelet.

Hi Paul,

Just a thought! :derisive:

Not sure if the Humbrol paint will be a hard enough finish to go on steel,

Hunbrol is a plasti coat. 'simular to household products' :artist:

I would think celulous or a 2K paint might be a better bet.

Regards Robert.

With apologies for the slightly :offtopic: but remember this from the previous page ?

Seiko8123-62807A38-6020_lookalike.jpg

This non-chrono quartz diver 'little brother' to my 7A38-6020 is an 8123-6280.

A strange diver with a worn chocolate-brown finish, maybe a Giugiaro diver – $120

A NOS example of one of these popped up on eBay Italy last night:

VINTAGE SEIKO 8123-6280 SPORTS 100 "PRE ARNIE" RARE

Seiko8123-6280-NOS-eBayItaly-Nov2011-1.jpg

Seiko8123-6280-NOS-eBayItaly-Nov2011-2.jpg

Seiko8123-6280-NOS-eBayItaly-Nov2011-3.jpg

Seiko8123-6280-NOS-eBayItaly-Nov2011-4.jpg

The coating and bezel lettering colour appears (in the sellers' photos) to be identical to my NOS 7A38-6020 bezel:

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-NOS_Bezel-P1070005-Resized.jpg

You'll notice that in (my) photo above, the metal part of the bezel, with finger grips, has a slightly different brownish hue.

Sadly, most of the parts data for the 8123-6280 is missing from Seiko Oceania's database, but ....

The bracelet part number is Z1208H; the bracelet p/n for the 7A38-6020 is Z1207H. Interesting. :umnik2:

Pity about the eBay seller's $700 asking price. :shocking:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Not that I'm planning on going this route, but I just found a post from earlier this year by Bry1975:

Opinions on coffee PVD winder crown colour please?

Thanks, Bry

domes.jpg

Coffee ?? :huh: or Dark Chocolate Brown ? :unsure:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Sadly, most of the parts data for the 8123-6280 is missing from Seiko Oceania's database, but ....

The bracelet part number is Z1208H; the bracelet p/n for the 7A38-6020 is Z1207H. Interesting. :umnik2:

Pity about the eBay seller's $700 asking price. :shocking:

That mint example of a '7A38-6020's baby brother' - the NOS 8123-6280 sold yesterday for $500 - still a very good price. :shocking:

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160686869095

Getting back to the 7A38-6020 'full-sized version', it seems there are still some very nice examples out there to be found. :lookaround:

I'm not sure I agree about the 'military' b/s :comando:, but posted over on Orologio & Passioni this evening, by '6309-7040' ....

See: http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=57560918&st=105#lastpost

A me piace.

Raro 7A38, in stile military

7A38-6020-Divers-Black-BlackFace-OrologioPassioni-6309-7040.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38