• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
SEIKO7A38

That Other Rare Yellow-Faced Seiko 7A38 ….

Judging by paucity of appearances over the last few years, it's scarcer than its illustrious yellow-faced 'RAF Vulcan' cousin.

No spurious military connections with this one, thankfully. :ph34r: Though there may be a hint of Guigiaro influence. :artist:

Very little prior reference to this particular model, the 7A38-7140 - anywhere on the 'Net, either. :read:

I did briefly mention it, myself, in Thatsmytiki’s 7A38-714A thread (post # 6), a few months back:

The grey-black faced 7A38-714A, and it's yellow and black faced sibling, the 7A38-7140 are both quite rare.

Here's a 7A38-7140 that came up on eBay a few years back ....

That eBay listing photo, which I linked, comes from an archived GMT+9 post in September 2007:

The GMT+9 Auction Watchlist #3 (and scroll down the page) …

I like unusual Seiko 7Axx watches.

Although it shows signs of wear, this one understandably was still bid up to $167.50.

t14.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Then there was this one, posted in a reply to another earlier 7A38-714A question thread, on the old SCWF:

Has anyone seen this model? 7A38-714A by Hung Pham ('TimetoFly') at the end of February 2009:

Here's a similar one....

Model 7A38-7140. I don't have it, but it was for sale somewhere in 2006.

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-SCWF-Feb20092006-1.jpg

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-SCWF-Feb20092006-2.jpg

I think I know from the obvious similarities in the wear of their black chrome coating, where that particular one ended up ....

Despite the blurry out-of-focus camera-phone photo (not mine, incidentally) ....

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-IMG_0627-Resized.jpg

It now belongs to another 7A38 collector who also has this other minty example in his collection:

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-IMG_0626-Resized.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

But all I'd seen myself, until very recently ....

.... on eBay, or anywhere else, was José Sotto's rather sorry-looking 'cooked' example, in August.

Stripped of its black chrome coating; missing the original bracelet and with a very badly faded dial. :(

7A38-7140-Black-Yellow-BadlyFadedBeater-eBay-August2010-2.jpg

That was until very recently. :whistle:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

That was until very recently. :whistle:

Patience, Gentlemen. :wink:

You know how the saying goes ? 'All good things come to he who waits'. :huh:

It seems I may have been just a little premature in starting this thread so early. :hypocrite:

Patience, Moi ??? :taz:

O.K. Reset to last Wednesday.

I'm bored - it's lunchtime, and I decide to run some of my saved favourite eBay searches. :yawn:

Yup - this fanatical collector even runs manual eBay searches midweek in the middle of the day. :rolleyes:

But sometimes it pays dividends, because THIS came up in one of my searches .... :eek:

SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100.

New without tags

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-eBay-Dec2010.jpg

SEIKO CRONO SPORTS 150, FONDO DI MAGAZZINO.

40MM IL DIAMETRO DEL QUADRANTE ,DOPPOIO DATARIO ,SCALA TACHIMETRICA.

MODELLO 7A38-7140.

At the time, it had been listed for only a matter of minutes, and 2 or three others had viewed it.

Initially I put a minimum bid in, then another much higher one.

Didn’t want to risk losing this auction, so I messaged the seller. :naughty:

Avete un prezzo di 'Compralo Subito' ?

Then followed 10 minutes of abject panic, until I hit the Buy-it-Now button, and paid the eBay invoice. :sweatdrop:

It seems I may have been just a little premature in starting this thread so early. :hypocrite:

.... until I hit the Buy-it-Now button, and paid the eBay invoice. :sweatdrop:

That was a week ago. Wednesday 15th December - almost a week ago to the minute. :bag:

I paid the seller immediately, and that included a sizeable lump for postage and packing.

However, for (his) reasons that I'll elaborate on later ....

The seller didn't actually post it until Monday 20th. :angry:

It's coming by Poste Italiane Paccocelere Internazionale ....

which, in 'normal circumstances' should be a 2/3 day service.

However, at this time of year - forget it ! :rolleyes:

I just checked the tracking number, and it's taken 2 days just to cover the 200Km's ....

from the seller's location in Northern Tuscany to the Milan Gateway central sorting office.

So, absolutely no way is it going to arrive before Christmas. :sadwalk:

May get here before the New Year though ! :partytime:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Very little prior reference to this particular model, the 7A38-7140 - anywhere on the 'Net, either. :read:

In the meantime (he writes, stalling :lazy2: ) ....

I did find one other reference to the 7A38-7140, in another google search, yesterday -

It's from the old SCWF (Mirror) website, and dates back to the end of January 2003 ! :bored:

See: http://larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1043988035 (and scroll down the bottom of the page.)

My 7A38-7140 chrono that I've had for nearly 9 years also has a folded bracelet.

However not being a WIS at the time I didn't know my **** from my elbow, and still would have bought it anyway for the dial.

I emailed the poster ('Rob', from NZ), at the email address linked from SCWF ....

Just on the off-chance, enquiring as to whether he might still own the watch.

My email was bounced, almost immediately, as that email account was closed. :(

So I took a flyer - and forwarded it to another well-used email account provider ....

Got a reply from Rob this morning. :)

He does indeed still own that 7A38-7140.

He remembers buying it new (old stock) in July 1996.

He's away from home at the moment, without the watch.

But he wrote that he'd email me some photos in due course. :photo:

Fingers crossed I'll manage to get some photos of 'mine' posted first. :bag:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

SEIKO CHRONOGRAPH SPORTS 100.

New without tags

7A38-7140-Black-YellowBlackFace-eBay-Dec2010.jpg

That is a stunner :notworthy: , many congratulations Paul, waiting is the hard part - if you want to sell, let me know :ph34r:

Derek

Paul,

Ok I'm calling the Policia. You stole this one :notworthy: :notworthy:

It may be too yellow for you so just drop me a line next year when you receive it so I can forward my shipping info to you :whistle:

That's very nice indeed - be interesting to see your pics when you get it; hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cheers

It's coming by Poste Italiane Paccocelere Internazionale ....

which, in 'normal circumstances' should be a 2/3 day service.

I just checked the tracking number, and it's taken 2 days just to cover the 200Km's ....

from the seller's location in Northern Tuscany to the Milan Gateway central sorting office.

So, absolutely no way is it going to arrive before Christmas. :sadwalk:

And yesterday, according to Poste Italiane's online tracking, that seemed almost a certainty. :(

PosteItalianeTracking-23Dec2010.jpg

But by some miracle (unless they were behind with data entry) it seems they got things back on track in the last 24 hours ....

PosteItalianeTracking-24Dec2010.jpg

Because a 'mystery courier' left a yellow cardboard box on my doorstep this morning. :)

Containing not one, but two very rare Seiko 7A38's. :secret:

My 'early christmas presents from me to me' have arrived. :yahoo:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I thought it was the sun that was out..but it must be your yellow seiko! B)

Nah. :no: That was just the Poste Italiane mailer box, Mike. :whistle:

Because a 'mystery courier' left a yellow cardboard box on my doorstep this morning. :)

PosteItalianeMailingBox.jpg

.... nice of the seller to pack it in a matching box :thumbup:

Derek, strange as it may seem, :huh: I'm actually more pleased with the other 7A38 that the seller packed in the same box.

Because a 'mystery courier' left a yellow cardboard box on my doorstep this morning ....

Containing not one, but two very rare Seiko 7A38's. :secret:

Although, by rights, he shouldn't have 'consolidated' them - and could have posted the 7A38-7140 much sooner. :nono:

That was a week ago. Wednesday 15th December - almost a week ago to the minute. :bag:

I paid the seller immediately, and that included a sizeable lump for postage and packing.

However, for (his) reasons that I'll elaborate on later ....

The seller didn't actually post it until Monday 20th. :angry:

I've never dealt with this Italian eBay seller 'Pichimmi' before. :unsure:

I know that you have - you bought your 7A38-7070 from him in July 2009. How do I know this ? :huh:

Easy - the background / props that he sometimes uses in his eBay listing photos - marble and driftwood. :smartass:

However, I had been in contact with him, recently, a couple of days before I purchased the 7A38-7140. :dontgetit:

The other 7A38 I bought from him, although far from mint, is in terms of sightings (to date) far rarer than the 7A38-7140,

and fills a very significant gap in my 7A38 collection - the only model that I was missing from the 7A38-72xx sub-range.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I'm spending my valuable Christmas Eve time here looking/waiting for pictures but ....

Then you'll have to be patient, Skip - or at least wait until I've finished my ramblings. :agree:

I'm spending my valuable Christmas Eve time here looking/waiting for pictures but ....

Then you'll have to be patient, Skip - or at least wait until I've finished my ramblings. agree.gif

tiredofwaiting.jpg?t=1293210591

tongue2.giftongue2.giftongue2.gif

tiredofwaiting.jpg?t=1293210591

YEAH. I like those Guigiaro watches, even the ones he didn't design, but were inspired by his.

Color me ENVIOUS.

You guys can 'interrupt' all you like. :tongue2: You know I'm gonna finish what I started. :whistle:

However, I had been in contact with him, recently, a couple of days before I purchased the 7A38-7140. :dontgetit:

The other 7A38 I bought from him, although far from mint, is in terms of sightings (to date) far rarer ....

The weekend prior to (albeit briefly) listing his 7A38-7140 on eBay, on Saturday 11th, the same seller had listed this:

SEIKO CRONOGRAFO 7A38-724A.

7A38-724A-StainlessGold-SilveryWhiteFace-eBay-Dec2010-1.jpg

CRONOGRAFO SEIKO 7A38-724A, penso anni 80, CON BRACCIALE ORIGINALE,

DIAMETRO CASSA 38MM. IN BUONE CONDIZIONI, PERFETTAMENTE FUNZIONANTE.

Believe it or not :lookaround:, despite all my 'obsessive' collecting and searching for 7A38's ....

I had never seen a photo, let alone any previous mention, of the 7A38-724A before this. :eek:

Problem was, because I'd never seen one before, I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. :blush:

I've already got all the other variants of this 7A38 watch case in my collection:

7A38-7240; 7A38-7250; 7A38-725A; 7A38-7260 and 7A38-726A (including some multiple examples).

They're all a bit on the dressy side, but the 7A38-724A is quite different to all of them, except for their shared watch case.

Those of you who've seen my Excel 7A38 spreadsheet will know that I've written brief comments against each model.

It's for my own benefit - for use as an 'aide memoire', and to help me identify any 'Frankens' I might come across.

The comments I'd made against the 7A38-724A were based solely on data I'd extracted from Seiko's database:

Note: 719L dial face - (not 718L as used on -7240; all -725x and 726x's).

G1334C bracelet is also unique to this watch - other models use p/n G1285x.

Trouble was, having never seen a 719L dial face, nor a G1334C bracelet before ....

I wasn't quite sure whether I was looking at the genuine article, or a 'Franken'. :bag:

Those of you who are familiar with the subtleties of the 7A38-xxxx range will therefore understand my concern. :lookaround:

To me, that dial looked a little too much like the 708L dial used on the two-tone 7A38-7060 (and 7A38-7069) ....

.... and apart, possibly for the curvature of the end pieces, the bracelet looked like the G1105C off the same 7A38-7060.

So I messaged the seller (in Italian), asking if he could email me the original high resolution versions of his photos.

My intention being to zoom in on them, to see if I could read the all important numbers: 719L and G1334.

He declined to comply. :angry: So I put in the minimum bid of 25 Euros, and left it at that. :schmoll:

But I kept coming back to the listing, as the price continued to steadily climb. :(

On the last day of the auction, I messaged the seller, again, in my best Italian:

Bongiourno.

È questo orologio 100% originale ?

Mi puoi dire i numeri stampati in caratteri molto piccoli alla base del quadrante ?

7A38 7 xx L ?

Grazie.

Ciao.

The seller finally replied to my question, a matter of minutes before the auction was due to end:

è tutto originale 7A38 719 L T.

Grazie.

No time to set the sniper - I just went in and 'nailed it', manually, with 2 seconds to go ! :sweatdrop:

See: http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=300503339768

Way more than I'd normally consider paying for such a 7A38 in a used condition ....

.... but offset, for me, in this particular instance, by it's (extreme) rarity factor.

And I suspect that the seller knew I was going to 'go for it' :unsure: ....

Because that's why I believe he held off posting the 7A38-7140, until the auction for the 7A38-724A finished. :nono:

It's in a well-worn condition, gold-plating-wise. No major dings, scratches nor graunches ....

But it's 719L face sub-dials have suffered from some slight staining, as seen on the stainless 7A38-7280 710L dials. :(

I don't care. :schmoll: I've got one now. :man_in_love:

And one day, probably sometime soon, now I've written this, a better example will undoubtedly come along. :tongue_ss:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Kind sir and 7A38 guru...is there a link to "...my Excel 7A38 spreadsheet..."? Also...as I newbie I'm required to ask...just how

many 7A38 do you proudly own?

...is there a link to "...my Excel 7A38 spreadsheet..."?

There was. :lookaround:

A lapsed member of this (and other) forums 'Twickersdude', had an older copy of it hosted on his (now defunct) website. :(

I've been asked by a couple of people since, including Gabe ('Isthmus' on SCWF/WUS) for permission to host copies of it.

Quite frankly, because it still is a 'working document' - minor details constantly being updated, as I learn more, myself ....

(witness the fact I'd never seen a 7A38-724A before, even in a photo, until a week or two ago :blush: )

Until I can finally 'put a stake in the ground', and say that it's as accurate as I'm ever going to get it,

I'd rather it not be hosted online - for now, anyway. :unsure:

Having said that, if you've got MS Excel on your PC, I'd be happy to eMail you a copy. :wink2:

Also...as I newbie I'm required to ask...just how many 7A38 do you proudly own?

Currently around 100 Seiko 7A38's, and nearly 2 dozen more similar '7A38 powered' quartz chrono's by other manufacturers:

Yema N8's; Orient J39's; Kamatz's and still just the one Cartier Ferrari Formula (Cal. 531). :bag:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan