• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
SEIKO7A38

Happy 5Th Anniversary – Seiko 7A38 And Maxell #394 !

This is my much-loved :wub: well-travelled :wheelchair: Seiko 7A38-7270 s/n 791339, which I've owned for 20-odd years:

7A38-7270-Stainless-BlackFace-MyOriginal-Resized.jpg

It was this particular watch that effectively started my obsessive collecting of Seiko 7A38's and their derivatives.

It's travelled over most of Europe, to the USA and the Far East on my wrist.

Was my daily wearer for a good many years, and a damned good reliable one, too. :thumbsup:

It still has all it's wabi, including a small chip on the original Hardlex crystal near 9 o'clock;

I remember with some sadness, at the time, almost every little knock and scrape I gave it. :cray:

It's also currently still running on a 5-year old Maxell #394 battery !!

Having a good number of 7A38’s in my collection, means that I now change my own batteries. :hammer:

These are some of the empty battery (10) cartons that I appear to have accumulated. Excuse the pun. :groan:

Checking back through my Cousins UK invoices, I appear to have bought 8 packs :unsure: of Maxell #394's

over the last 2 years, so maybe I've actually managed to chuck away at least one empty packet ! :bag:

Maxell394Boxes-Resized.jpg

I've always religiously maintained Excel spreadsheets, to help me manage my various collections.

My quartz watches are no exception – and one important field is the date of last battery change.

I'm not so good at paper filing, and was having a tidy up at the weekend, and came across this:

JohnSteward-7A38-7270-LastBatteryChange-12-10-05-Resized.jpg

It's an invoice from a local jeweller, for battery changes in a Seiko chronograph (and a Rotary).

Dated 12th October 2005. At that time I only owned one Seiko chronograph – my 7A38-7270.

I have written elsewhere, ranting about 'high street watch botchers', graunching case-backs –

I used to make an exception for James, the son of the proprietor, and his able assistant, Frank.

It's still running on that very same battery – and the date is verified by my original spreadsheet.

So there you have it. When you see the question asked asked 'how long should a battery last ?' ....

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I will admit, though ....

During that time, particularly the last two years, my 7A38-7270 hasn't really had much wrist time. :blush:

It's effectively been retired to the collection – so the chronograph functions haven't had much usage.

That may partly explain the 'extended' battery life. :lookaround:

However, I have been monitoring and logging how accurate it has kept – every six months,

when I roll it forward an hour for BST, and back again for GMT.

Compared to http://www.greenwichmeantime.com it has never gained more than 2 or 3 seconds over the 6-month period.

Never loses, either, needless to say.

I've been tempted to tweak the 0.26sec/day adjustment rotor on this one, but have resisted so far.

Quite honestly, I don't think I could ask for better accuracy from a 23 year-old un-serviced watch !

However, I have done this little tweak successfully with a dozen or so other 7A38's,

and now have them all running consistently within the +/-10second /year bracket !

For those of you are into their 7A's (method is the same on 7A28's and 7A48's) and have never tried adjusting one ....

May I suggest you might want to read these three very well-informed and interesting threads:

7A38 Adjustment Thread #1: http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1189933858

(Started by 'Charles' – with further contributions from Hung Pham 'Time2Fly' and Michael Rothe).

7A38 Adjustment Thread #2 (by David Johnson): http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=282347

7A38 Adjustment Thread #3 (by Tokunaga-San): http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,277.msg408.html#msg408

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I feel compelled to tell you how much I enjoy these chapters chronicling your ownership and custodianship of many a 7A38 Frequently informative, regularly entertaining and most often cases both. Appreciated.

Outstanding mate. thumbsup.gif

H

It was this particular watch that effectively started my obsessive collecting of Seiko 7A38's and their derivatives.

I should in turn, thank the extremely knowledgable David Johnson (who posts as 'DWJQuest' on WUS) ....

7A38 Adjustment Thread #2 (by David Johnson): http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=282347

Because it was he, probably more so than any other 7Axx collector, who gave me the initial inspiration, when ....

he posted this photo; a carefully-arranged 'pile' of his mint collection of 7Axx's on WUS, a couple of years ago:

Pileof7Axx-DavidJohnson-DWJQuest.jpg

It gave me something to aim for. :hunter: I guess I 'overtook' David a little while back. :rolleyes:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

[he posted this photo; a carefully-arranged 'pile' of his mint collection of 7Axx's on WUS, a couple of years ago:

It gave me something to aim for. :hunter: I guess I 'overtook' David a little while back. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but he doesn't have a yellow faced one... fancy recreating the picture with your collection?

.... fancy recreating the picture with your collection?

I must admit I've thought about it a couple of times. :unsure: .... It's going to need a wide-angle lens ! :photo:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I should in turn, thank the extremely knowledgable David Johnson (who posts as 'DWJQuest' on WUS) ....

Because it was he, probably more so than any other 7Axx collector, who gave me the initial inspiration, when ....

he posted this photo; a carefully-arranged 'pile' of his mint collection of 7Axx's on WUS, a couple of years ago:

It was bugging me that I couldn't find that original thread on WUS, which dates back to January 2009. :angry:

Which was right about the time I was just getting into my stride - beginning my own collection of 7A38's. :blink:

Here it is - I found it at last. :sweatdrop: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/my-new-seiko-7a28-220238.html

(DWJQuest's post on WUS) That is a very attractive watch.

The Seiko 7A28, 7A38 and 7A48 series of chronographs is one of my favorites. Here is my pile of them.

Starts off with a very dressy Seiko 7A28, but scroll down for more photos, including that one. :wink:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I've always religiously maintained Excel spreadsheets

Im so not surprised at this :D

Starts off with a very dressy Seiko 7A28 ....

Speaking of which, some of you may know I've diversified into also collecting Yema 7A38's - their N8xxxx models.

Trawling the Bay earlier this week, I came across the very first Yema 7A28 (Model N7xxxx) I'd ever seen. :shocking:

Yema-7A28-Model-N71X33-eBay-Oct2010.jpg

Dressy, Yes - but attractive. N.O.S. too. :) Surpising noone has snapped it up already ! :lookaround:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Oh my....as a 7A** newbie...I think I've wet myself...lol

:thumbup: :whistle:

That was a good wind-up, Skip. :thumbsup:

I nearly called you. :telephone: ....

But I won't tell you what I nearly called you. :censored:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Saw another one of these stainless black-faced 7A38-7270's on eBay this week ....

They're relatively common - but quite sought after by 7Axx collectors, it seems. :)

But like most others who saw it, I decided to give this one a miss. It looked rather tired. :thumbsdown:

Needed a new battery too - and possibly a whole lot more work, judging by the poor photo:

SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPHIC WATCH NOT WORKING/ BATTERY ?

7A38-7270-Stainless-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2010.jpg

MENS SEIKO WRISTWATCH, WITH ORIGINAL WATCH BAND IN NONWORKING- POSSIBLY BATTERY NEEDS REPLACED, IF NOT, PARTS- CONDITION.

POSSIBLY A RARE ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION

Bit sad to see one of these going for only $6 though. :( See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220689701618

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I just wanted to take this opportunity of saying a big Thank You to our Bry. :cheers:

.... for thinking of me, when he probably had a lot of other things on his mind. :sadwalk:

Less than two weeks ago, out of the blue, I recieved this PM from him:

Hi chap,

Interested in another 7A38 chrono?

.... followed by an email address and a link to some photos - a couple of them below:

7A38-7270-Stainless-Blackface-exRobWilson-2.jpg

7A38-7270-Stainless-Blackface-exRobWilson-3.jpg

7A38-7270-Stainless-Blackface-exRobWilson-11.jpg

But did I really need another stainless black-faced 7A38-7270 ? :unsure: Well, what's the harm in just one more, eh ? :naughty:

A deal was done - minimal haggling, and the watch duly arrived the next day. :)

Needed a damned good clean; new crystal, gaskets and seals, and today, it got a full polish and re-brushing to boot.

Assuming the daylight is a bit brighter tomorrow, some 'after' photos will follow shortly. :photo:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Assuming the daylight is a bit brighter tomorrow, some 'after' photos will follow shortly. :photo:

Well, the sun came out very briefly, but this was just about the only decent shot I managed:

P1030482-Resized.jpg

Not bad for a 'quick wash and brush-up', eh ? :)

It's an invoice from a local jeweller, for battery changes in a Seiko chronograph ....

Dated 12th October 2005. At that time I only owned one Seiko chronograph – my 7A38-7270.

It's still running on that very same battery – and the date is verified by my original spreadsheet.

So there you have it. When you see the question asked asked 'how long should a battery last ?' ....

Footnote:

That Maxell #394 battery finally expired just before Christmas 2010 (Monday 20th) - and has duly been replaced today. :)

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Well, the sun came out very briefly, but this was just about the only decent shot I managed:

P1030482-Resized.jpg

Not bad for a 'quick wash and brush-up', eh ? :)

Verrrrry Nice. Making me want one. Just bought a black-faced Orient chrono and now I think it's time for

a Seiko. Commencing to put the 7270 on the radar.

John

Edited by new2the7A38

Making me want one. Just bought a black-faced Orient chrono and now I think it's time for a Seiko.

Commencing to put the 7270 on the radar.

I have a second 7A38-7270. This is the one I "bought" on EBay.

But I thought you'd written that you already had a couple of 7A38-7270's, John ? :huh:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Saw another one of these stainless black-faced 7A38-7270's on eBay this week ....

They're relatively common - but quite sought after by 7Axx collectors, it seems. :)

But like most others who saw it, I decided to give this one a miss. It looked rather tired. :thumbsdown:

Needed a new battery too - and possibly a whole lot more work, judging by the poor photo:

SEIKO QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPHIC WATCH NOT WORKING/ BATTERY ?

7A38-7270-Stainless-BlackFace-eBay-Oct2010.jpg

MENS SEIKO WRISTWATCH, WITH ORIGINAL WATCH BAND IN NONWORKING- POSSIBLY BATTERY NEEDS REPLACED, IF NOT, PARTS- CONDITION.

POSSIBLY A RARE ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION

Bit sad to see one of these going for only $6 though. :( See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220689701618

And especially sad, when you see something like the 7A38-7270, eBay item # 380311364368, in similar cosmetic condition

- obviously little attempt at re-furbishment; fitted with the wrong bracelet, to boot, and an opening bid price of $98.99 !! :shocking:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan