• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
PaulBoy

Sometimes It'S Better In The Dark

Not a good picture as I'm only starting to try and put photography and watches together!  But I do believe at having a go.  :king:

Baby G in the evening.  

gP9eYHT.png

• Like 2

Again not a great picture but love having an attempt.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it... eventually.  :laughing2dw::king:

Burei in the dark.qsvYGUr.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, themysterybidder said:

Again not a great picture but love having an attempt.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it... eventually.  :laughing2dw::king:

For better results I think the idea is to take the photo in reduced light, not complete darkness :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Davey P said:

For better results I think the idea is to take the photo in reduced light, not complete darkness :yes:

I'll try that tonight. :thumbsup: It's become a nightly ritual before I go to bed I take at least one lume picture! Many attempts until I get one which focuses correctly!  Most think it's a bit strange, well not a just a bit strange, just strange!  :laughing2dw::king:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some tips:

• use a tripod or smart phone mount to keep the camera still
  • use the “self-timer” feature
  • position a smart phone or ipod or tablet nearby with the screen on and timeout set at 2-5 mins, this provides a little ambient light to show the watch
  • tell the camera to focus on the bezel or other case feature, some do that better than focusing on the dial markings behind a crystal

20141216_2303_kingston_hirschlord_corgid

20141219-2655_nassau_corvusbond_db4_lume

• Like 1

Another good tip I can offer is that you don't need the room as dark as you think. If you try to shoot in a very dark room, the camera in your phone or tablet will struggle to focus properly. Try shooting in a room/space that is only slightly dark....like a normally sunny room on a rainy day.This way, the camera should still be able to pick up the dial details and logos. Like Dave @Chromejobsaid, try to mount your phone/tablet on a mount of some sort to avoid shake, though if the light is good enough, you can do it freehand...I do. Charge the lume with a good led torch for about a minute, then take the shots.Take them from all angles...some closer, some further away. Then use use your built in editing facility to enlarge, crop etc. If you take enough, you should end up with at least a couple of really nice pics. This Orca shot was done exactly like this.

20170606_164020.jpg.f8676b38589e39c3c955e413c8b978ad.jpg

The bright reflection on the side of the case at the 5-10 past marks is actually sunlight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. 

Cassie, you can play with bounced light to highlight the case as @SBryantgb probably did here. In a dark room shine a torch against a wall nearby, so the light highlights the watch case. Or as i did in both my pics above with toy Aston Martins, set a tablet or mobile with white screen (have a web browser up or something), and aim it at the watch. If you bounced a torch at the ceiling, the watch crystal is likely to reflect your ceiling. But if the gentle light source is 90 degrees to the side or top, then the camera will pick up the faint light on the watch head, and the crystal will be clear. This gives my cameras something concrete, so to speak, to focus on.  Set the self-timer, put the camera on something like a tripod, or stack of books, and let 'er rip. :wicked: Enjoy the challenge, it can be quite a task, but the successful shot feels like you EARNED IT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, themysterybidder said:

First attempt last night with tablet light shining on it.  :thumbsup:

:clap: :thumbs_up: ... Having fun? :naughty: 

P.S. Omitted from my tips ... using black cloth or something (dress, drape, sheet, whatever), or in my case a black night table beneath ,further helps focus the light (and camera) on the subject. ;) As I did here...

20121202-4946_kingstons_lumecompare_1024

20121202-4950_kingston_lume_1024.jpg

2 hours ago, SBryantgb said:

Its a complete and utter cheat.... all computer generated :huh:

:nono: As I believe I've posted at the top of the thread, no tricks and gimmicky tolerated. :thumbdown: I've used Photoshop to clean up and adjust the exposure, contrast, etc, but I frown on use of black lights, compositing, etc. (Photoshop rules for taking out that one piece of dust that wouldn't wipe off prior to exposure, or landed while shooting. I would sometimes use it to remove a stray reflection or hot spot.) 

Keep it real, please. :photo:

15 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

:nono: As I believe I've posted at the top of the thread, no tricks and gimmicky tolerated. 

Not the first post but this one

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 2

Tonights attempt with a Seiko 5.  I have been naughty and not worn it as it's Mondays date.  :rolleyes:

ZfLNWt4.jpg

I did take another but Imgur won't let me submit it, so I will try to upload the other picture tomorrow.  :king:

Edited by themysterybidder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, themysterybidder said:

This is an excellent shot.  I am in practising the now trying to achieve at least something a fraction of yours!  :yes:  Much better than your computer generated images!  :king:

I got lucky :yes:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, themysterybidder said:

Tonights attempt with a Seiko 5.  I have been naughty and not worn it as it's Mondays date.  :rolleyes:

ZfLNWt4.jpg

I did take another but Imgur won't let me submit it, so I will try to upload the other picture tomorrow.  :king:

Seiko's do make the lume shots easier :yes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, themysterybidder said:

ZfLNWt4.jpg

Brilliant, miss!! Now you're a pro. You've got the Seiko LumiBrite in all its glory, can see the fine sunburst detailing of the dial, the lovely Seiko 5 marker, even the bezel, case, and bracelet finish. Bonus points awarded for hand position not blocking dial markings (brand, "5," etc). 10/10, this judge votes. :clap::notworthy: :yahoo: 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Brilliant, miss!! Now you're a pro. You've got the Seiko LumiBrite in all its glory, can see the fine sunburst detailing of the dial, the lovely Seiko 5 marker, even the bezel, case, and bracelet finish. Bonus points awarded for hand position not blocking dial markings (brand, "5," etc). 10/10, this judge votes. :clap::notworthy: :yahoo: 

Thank you for the kind comments, I couldn't have achieved anything even remotely like that without help from the members here.  :yes:  Previously, when I saw lume pictures, I always thought it has to be complete darkness, before I can see the lume.  However, now I realise that a little backlight can make all the difference!  Thanks again for all your help!  I had taken these pictures aswell but couldn't upload them last night for some reason.  I hadn't seen your comment about hand positioning then, so that may not be perfect, but I'll post them anyway.  :thumbsup::king:

n8xxIg0.jpg1X1FwE4.pngEUdTIRn.pngtZGFs0d.jpg This one isn't very good, but still shows the lume.  

Edited by themysterybidder
  • Like 1

Nope, the one you say isn't  very good is EEKS-cellent. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Nope, the one you say isn't  very good is EEKS-cellent. 

My excuse is as follows, it was a ladies watch and they are smaller!  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

OK, TMB here again to bore with some more lume shots!  :whistle: 

Another few attempts tonight with my Pulsar Mens Watch PT3613X1.  :king:

1GNDPJK.pngdRmEmrq.png3BOfR0D.png?1

I really like this one with the "double tick" look.

pgtt14N.png                  0qVB6lb.png?2

Thanks for looking!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, themysterybidder said:

OK, TMB here again to bore with some more lume shots!  :whistle: 

Another few attempts tonight with my Pulsar Mens Watch PT3613X1.  :king:

1GNDPJK.pngdRmEmrq.png3BOfR0D.png?1

I really like this one with the "double tick" look.

pgtt14N.png                  0qVB6lb.png?2

Thanks for looking!  

Good pics

• Thanks 1

Grrrr.  I thought I'd fixed my wobbly 1950's/60's tripod but it obviously still needs a bit of tightening up!

Poljot%20Aviator%20Lume%2020180713.jpg

• Like 1