• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
PaulBoy

Sometimes It'S Better In The Dark

As I don't have a DSLR I wasn't sure if my Canon G7 was up to the job of taking a decent lume shot - Both my recent watch purchases (especially the Oris) have excellent lume - Not fantastic results but I hope you get the general idea? ... Paul :thumbsup:

Longines Hydroconquest

4284121971_d155613bc0_o.jpg

Oris TT1 Diver

4284867242_d31ec5bd1f_o.jpg

Paul get yourslef one of those little torches off the bay the little UV/LED/LASER ones about £5 they are great for charging up that lume and you get a free laser pointer to annoy the pets with. :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-15-LED-UV-LASER-Ultraviolet-Flashlight-Light-Torch_W0QQitemZ260533874279QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item3ca9076e67

Edited by sonyman

Great Paul, both look really good, great watches. I like lumes shots when you can still see all the other details..

how do you take the pic to show the second hand in a time lapse king of fashion?

Long exposure, 3-5 seconds or so...

These ARE long exposure shots (either 2 or 6 secs iirc) - I think to see the second hand the watch needs to be quartz but I could be talking sh!te ... Paul :thumbsup:

I've been inspired to have a go at that myself.

IMG_0500-1.jpg

I haven't got a DSLR either.

This was done on a Canon digital IXUS compact with a 1 watt LED lamp providing the ambient light.

Here's a couple I took earlier. Not sure what camera it was, some panasonic that was lying around at my parents house! Came out quite well I think - better than some of my previous efforts.

P1020120.jpg

P1020115.jpg

Thought I'd add to my old thread rather than clog things up with a new one (?) - My two latest watches have stunning lume - The Fortis can literally be used as a torch & I love the fact that the seconds dial on the Oris has it's own lume - Enjoy!

Paul :thumbsup:

4643952487_4b20d78971_o.jpg

4644568898_1d7ae687dc_o.jpg

Often my watch just doesn't work well in dim light. It overcompensates ... it adjusts to a monstrously low white level ... but in the last 24 hours, my Fujifilm E900 (9MP, with RAW capability, though neither of these were taken in RAW) has come through quite nicely. Brought a smile to my face even.

Minimal editing in Photoshop other than adjusting the white level down to the proper threshold, and maybe boosting saturation 10%.

Hope you like.

Last night (under the table)...

20100727-2960_seiko7s26silverdiver_dark_wrist_640.jpg

This morning (bedside table)...

20100728-2970_ow5513_omegastand_1280.jpg

... Let's see your best night moves.

A good tip is a black light , you can get small keyring ones which show the lume up well ;)

On 28/07/2010 at 21:06, Adz said:

A good tip is a black light , you can get small keyring ones which show the lume up well ;)

Black light? Cheating. ;)

I've found nothing better than shining my Honda Euro Accord's HID (Xenon) headlight onto a watch for about 2-4 seconds. I have to find a big enough black light to illuminate the dial and bezel ... little "dog pee discoverer" ones are too focused.

Oh, I have a small, powerful LED flashlight (charges in the lighter socket of the car) does a bang up job, too.

Two of my favs below - I love that the Oris Small Second second dial has its own lume - The Fortis is just in a class of its own though ... Paul :thumbsup:

4644568898_1d7ae687dc_o.jpg

4643952487_4b20d78971_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice....! (BTW, guys, I was being tongue in cheek for my previous comments. All nice watches.) But the thread idea is natural (or near-natural) shots of watches in the night, in the dark. Use of black lights or Photoshop to darken the overall image, or make the lume stand out, are gently suggested to be out of bounds. (We have daytime and black light-augmented pics in the forums already.)

I forgot about these pics I took when I got my M5 ... taken in a darkened room at dusk, with lume charged 5 mins prior in another room.

20100611-2620_owm5_dialwithlume.jpg

20100611-2623_owm5_night_lume.jpg

Yikes, the lume on those Omega hands really glow right (and long).

Often my watch just doesn't work well in dim light. It overcompensates ... it adjusts to a monstrously low white level ...

Yikes, I meant Often my camera just doesn't work well in dim light....

Edited by David Spalding