• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
SEIKO7A38

A Rant About High Street Watch-Botchers

I really am beginning to build up a loathing for high street jewellers - a.k.a. Rip-off mechant 'watch botchers'. :thumbsdown:

Their classic 'botch' seems to be the ease with which they manage to ruin screw-down case-backs ....

.... using a two-pronged wrench, instead of a 3-prong Jaxa type (or even a 'sticky ball') ....

.... resulting in the inevitable slips, and graunch marks on a previously pristine case-back.

And then they charge you the minimum of a Fiver for changing the (50p trade cost or less) battery !! :angry:

It seems they also sometimes manage to b*gger up other things inside the watch too !! :(

Back last June (2009), when I was only just getting into my stride, establishing my Seiko 7A38 collection ....

I bought a rather nice 7A38-726A on eBay. This is the (UK) seller's original photo:

7A38-726A-StainlessGold-WhiteFace-G.jpg

It had belonged to the seller's father, and was IIRC presented to him for 25 years service (with Heinz) ....

.... and was in really nice lightly worn condition, with just a minor mark on the bezel near 11 o'clock.

It also came with the original Seiko box ....

.... and fitted with that 'orrible dark green shark leather strap - which had to go ! :yucky:

I didn't print off a copy of the eBay listing, but I remember the seller correctly and honestly stating that the watch had a fault:

A slipping sweep second hand. :(

And for that reason, most likely, there was little competition from other bidders, and I won the auction for under £40 ! :)

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

As the watch needed little more than a cursory wipe with a soft cloth, the strap changing ....

.... and other than the slipping sweep second hand, all functions appeared to be working perfectly ....

.... it got put away in the collection, for the minor problem to be sorted later (and then forgotten). :blush:

But, I did make a note of it, on my Excel spreadsheet that I use to contol the collection. :wink:

Anyway, I opened up the box that includes most of my 7A38-726x's, -727x's, -728's yesterday ....

And noticed that this one had stopped. Flat battery I assumed (correctly, as it turned out).

As this watch's case-back had minimal removal tool marks on it, I used a Jaxa copy 3-prong tool,

(assisted with a squirt of aerosol freezer) to loosen it, and then a 'sticky ball' to remove the caseback.

This is what I found:

P1010555-Resized.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Notice anything ? :huh:

Well apart from the fact that the watch had been fitted with an incorrect under-sized battery:

A SR927SW (#395) instead of the correct (and somewhat larger capacity) SR936SW (#394) ....

.... hence the reason it's sat at an angle in the battery recess, and it's short life.

Also the finger-like spring tensioner for the sweep second hand is not centered over the end ....

.... but pushed carelessly to one side of it, and is rubbing on the side of the sweep second axle. :rolleyes:

Very easily remedied in this case, with careful use of tweezers, so that it gently bears on the end of the axle:

P1010569-Resized.jpg

Notice anything ? :huh:

Also the finger-like spring tensioner for the sweep second hand is not centered over the end ....

.... but pushed carelessly to one side of it, and is rubbing on the side of the sweep second axle. :rolleyes:

Very easily remedied in this case, with careful use of tweezers, so that it gently bears on the end of the axle.

Needless to say, this fixed the 'slipping sweep second hand' problem straight away. :)

P1010582-Resized.jpg

But this isn't the only instance I've seen of such similar clumsiness by a 'watch repairer'. :huh:

It's the third or fourth time I've come across this exact same problem on Seiko 7A38's.

Most recently, with this lovely condition 7A38-6080: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43103&view=findpost&p=531375

.... where 'Christ' had charged the eBay seller an extortionate 22.00 Euros for changing the battery ....

.... and the privilege of dislocating the sweep second hand's spring tensioner, at the same time. :angry:

It arrived with exactly the same symptoms - but at least it had the correct #394 battery fitted. :rolleyes:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

.... and fitted with that 'orrible dark green shark leather strap - which had to go ! :yucky:

What ? :huh: No derogatory remarks about my (possibly questionable) choice of a replacement strap ? :lookaround:

I’ve got Phil (11oss) to blame (in fact, thank very much :thumbup: ) for the choice of Tan Lizard.

See his ad from last March in the Sales forum: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40434

I was so desperate to get that dark green shark strap off the watch ....

.... and this was one of the very first things I tried on, in place of it. :blush:

To me, it suits the dressy style of this particular 7A38 (718L) dial face, and also looks very 80’s.

P1010588-Resized.jpg

P1010599-Resized.jpg

It got me started on something of a quest – to get all my 7A38-726x’s on matching Lizard bands. Of more anon. :)

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Great looking watch, love the clear dial..thumbsup.gif Not 100% sure about the band, it does look good but I'm so used to seeing 7A38's on steel, it might grow on me!! Was it originally produced with a steel band? Sounds like you got a bargain though! Have to put one on my to get list(watch not band)!! Nice to know about the spring tensioner, didn't have a clue what that did dontgetit.gif

I really am beginning to build up a loathing for high street jewellers - a.k.a. Rip-off mechant 'watch botchers'. :thumbsdown:

Their classic 'botch' seems to be the ease with which they manage to ruin screw-down case-backs ....

.... using a two-pronged wrench, instead of a 3-prong Jaxa type (or even a 'sticky ball') ....

.... resulting in the inevitable slips, and graunch marks on a previously pristine case-back.

And then they charge you the minimum of a Fiver for changing the (50p trade cost or less) battery !! :angry:

It seems they also sometimes manage to b*gger up other things inside the watch too !! :(

Back last June (2009), when I was only just getting into my stride, establishing my Seiko 7A38 collection ....

I bought a rather nice 7A38-726A on eBay. This is the (UK) seller's original photo:

7A38-726A-StainlessGold-WhiteFace-G.jpg

It had belonged to the seller's father, and was IIRC presented to him for 25 years service (with Heinz) ....

.... and was in really nice lightly worn condition, with just a minor mark on the bezel near 11 o'clock.

It also came with the original Seiko box ....

I didn't print off a copy of the eBay listing, but I remember the seller correctly and honestly stating that the watch had a fault:

A slipping sweep second hand. :(

And for that reason, most likely, there was little competition from other bidders, and I won the auction for under £40 ! :)

All hail the "High Street Watch-Botchers" who unwittingly introduce minor faults which means that unsuspecting owners give up their 7A38's into the bay which is known as "E".

Give thanks Paul to the "High Street Watch-Botchers" without whom you'd probably have paid 2-3 times as much for that beauty. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Dave

Give thanks Paul to the "High Street Watch-Botchers" without whom you'd probably have paid 2-3 times as much for that beauty. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dave

I also give thanks :notworthy: to the eBay seller for responding correctly to the another potential bidder's question:

Hello. Do you have a buy-it-now price?

:tongue2: :rofl:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I also give thanks notworthy.gif to the eBay seller for responding correctly to the another potential bidder's question:

Hello. Do you have a buy-it-now price?

tongue2.giflol.gif

Was it originally produced with a steel band?

The 7A38-7260 and 7A38-726A models only came factory fitted with leather straps - usually lightly padded plain calf.

Like this 7A38-726A still on it's original Seiko strap - (belonging to an SCWF member - Peter B., a.k.a. 'DeskDiver'):

7A38-726A-StainlessGoldTanLeatherSe.jpg

However, the 7A38-7240; 7A38-724A; 7A38-7250 and 7A38-725A (exactly the same watch case, and 718L dials) ....

.... all came ex-factory on rather flimsy stainless (sometimes coated) steel bracelets.

Here's a photo of my 7A38-7240 (left) on the correct original Seiko p/n G1285C bracelet ....

With an almost identical 7A38-7260 (right) which I fitted with a non-original Seiko p/n Z1623C bracelet.

DSCF1872-Resized.jpg

Just as a bit of an experiment. :smartass:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Looks like a bit of a result! I love those Seiko chronos, very underrated considering a Gen 1 can make £500 ;)

Here's a photo of my 7A38-7240 (left) on the correct original Seiko p/n G1285C bracelet ....

With an almost identical 7A38-7260 (right) which I fitted with a non-original Seiko p/n Z1623 bracelet.

DSCF1872-Resized.jpg

Just as a bit of an experiment. smartass.gif

Your experiment looks great by the way...

Thanks. :) I did write it up before, in an earlier thread, somewhere. :lookaround:

Only just noticed that the 72xx have slightly wider cases at 3 & 9 O'clock ....nice

Yes, I don't know quite how you should describe the 7A38-724x/-725x/-726x watch case. :dontgetit:

Perhaps elliptical ? It certainly isn't perfectly round - different radii all over.

Certainly made filing those Z1623 bracelet end pieces to fit interesting. :rolleyes:

DSCF1911-resized.jpg

Your experiment looks great by the way...

Thanks. smile.gif I did write it up before, in an earlier thread, somewhere. lookaround.gif

Only just noticed that the 72xx have slightly wider cases at 3 & 9 O'clock ....nice

Yes, I don't know quite how you should describe the 7A38-724x/-725x/-726x watch case. dontgetit.gif

Perhaps elliptical ? It certainly isn't perfectly round - different radii all over.

Certainly made filing those Z1623 bracelet end pieces to fit interesting. rolleyes.gif

DSCF1911-resized.jpg

Elliptical sounds good to me.. Looks great.. A job well done, well worth the effort you put in I'd say thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Dave

How about 6 (SIX) times as much as I paid, Dave ? :dontgetit:

Last night, I was idly browsing a Spanish watch forum: www.foroderelojes.es ....

looking at something else (but 7A38-related, naturally - I copied you on the email :wink2: )

and I came across this small photo of a mint-ish looking silver-grey faced 7A38-7060:

7A38-7260-Chrono24com.jpg

I decided to see if I could track it down from that small watermark in the bottom R.H. corner.

Didn't take very long to find the source of the image: http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/index.htm?showid=1501458

Yup. The German dealer is asking £298 Sterling or €340 Euros !! :shocking:

Nice watch - not advertised as brand new, but obviously in a very nice original condition ....

.... and if you look at the other two images, still on its original grey Seiko calf leather strap.

But almost 300 Quid for a 'dressy' 7A38 ? :thumbsdown:

You'd have thought they'd have reset the chrono' hands, before taking the photos, for that sort of asking price. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I have two of this particular model already - I was considering converting one of them to a Franken ! :sweatdrop:

But not any more !! :nono:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

.... this small photo of a mint-ish looking silver-grey faced 7A38-7060:

Which was of course meant to be 7A38-7260 (as I'd captioned the photo). :oops:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Fortunately, I have two of this particular model already - I was considering converting one of them to a Franken ! sweatdrop.gif

But not any more !! nono.gif

Paul, you don't strike me as someone who'd CREATE a Franken!!! I bet you didn't spend TOO much time considering the conversion...wink.gif

Paul, you don't strike me as someone who'd CREATE a Franken!!!

I bet you didn't spend TOO much time considering the conversion...wink.gif

Purely for my own enjoyment / consumption, naturally, Paul. :wink2:

As I wrote, previously, I have 2 silver-grey faced 7A38-7260's (besides the very similar-looking 7A38-7240).

The other one is on a light grey lizard skin strap (which matches the dial face nicely - photos to follow later) ....

I wasn't sure which of these (but probably the one on the incorrect p/n Z1623C bracelet) I was going to convert ....

But I'd bought this on eBay recently:

7A38-725A-GunmetalGold-2Tone-BlackG.jpg

A beater, non-running 7A38-725A. I wanted it mostly for parts - bezel is quite good (and I have a 7A38-725A already :rolleyes: ),

But the movement turned out to be water damaged (ingress through the pusher seals - and too badly rusted up to fix :angry:).

Sooo .... I thought I might use the black-ish sub dials and Tachymeter dial ring, to make a 7A38-726x Franken 'Panda'.

I gave it a LOT of consideration. :umnik2: Until I saw the price that German dealer was asking. :naughty:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

As I wrote, previously, I have 2 silver-grey faced 7A38-7260's ....

The other one is on a light grey lizard skin strap (.... photos to follow later) ....

As promised:

P1010808-Resized.jpg

P1010829-Resized.jpg

Bezel's gold plating is a bit worn around the 5 o'clock area. Otherwise it's in quite a nice condition.

Came to me (off eBay) fitted with an 18mm two-tone Speidel expansion bracelet (in a 20mm lug width):

7A38-7260-StainlessGold-GreyFace-on.jpg

All I've done with it, so far, was to fit a Sternkreuz replacement crystal; new battery, clean it up a bit, and the strap.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

As I wrote, previously, I have 2 silver-grey faced 7A38-7260's ....

The other one is on a light grey lizard skin strap (.... photos to follow later) ....

As promised:

P1010808-Resized.jpg

P1010829-Resized.jpg

Bezel's gold plating is a bit worn around the 5 o'clock area. Otherwise it's in quite a nice condition.

Came to me (off eBay) fitted with an 18mm two-tone Speidel expansion bracelet (in a 20mm lug width):

7A38-7260-StainlessGold-GreyFace-on.jpg

All I've done with it, so far, was to fit a Sternkreuz replacement crystal; new battery, clean it up a bit, and the strap.

Great looking watch Paul, a job well done! I'm going to put the 7260s on my "to get" list. I love the raised gold on the face an the eliptical case, one of the best looking 7A38s IMO. Also love the strap!! I recently aquired a very nice 7069 and would post some pictures but don't think I have a high enough post count yetblush.gif

Great looking watch Paul, a job well done! I'm going to put the 7260s on my "to get" list.

In my experience, that two-tone silver-grey faced 7A38-7260 (SAA098J) is one of the easier versions to find.

I've seen probably half a dozen (or maybe more) on eBay, in the last 18 months of looking.

However, it's quite easy to mistake for the 7A38-7240, if one of those is offered without it's original bracelet.

I love the raised gold on the face an the eliptical case, one of the best looking 7A38s IMO.

Yes, I've become quite a fan of them myself - especially on lizard straps. :man_in_love:

I recently aquired a very nice 7069 and would post some pictures but don't think I have a high enough post count yet.

Paul.

The ability to upload photos to your posts in not post-count dependant. There's nothing stopping you now.

Just please start another thread or topic, rather than in a post in this thread - by means of an experiment. :wink:

There is a sticky thread somewhere (by PGTips or JoT) giving full instructions on how to upload photos.

I think this might be the one: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40317

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan