• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
SEIKO7A38

My Newest Incoming 7A38 - Sorry- Orient J39....

Looks NOS to me BUT does it run or is a paperweight??? :shocking:

Of course it runs, Skip, and this one (like most of my Orient J39's) keeps remarkably good time. :thumbsup:

It isn't NOS though (as the eBay seller had falsely described it), but has very obviously been worn lightly and infrequently.

Heck, I even wear it myself occasionally - I tried it on briefly at the weekend:

Orient-J39909-80-Gold-WhiteFace-WristShot-P1040616-Resized.jpg

It's a decent size at 39mm diameter, but only thanks to the 'dead-weight' of that ridiculous dress-up fixed 'divers' bezel.

Not one of my favourites, really :unsure: - but again another interesting variation on the 7A38 theme to have in my collection.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Something that I forgot to mention, when I posted that photo of the watch in it's presentation box on the previous page:

.... Here's a Q&D photo, exactly as received. :photo:

P1040601-Resized.jpg

.... was the colour of the Orient box:

Orient-J39909-80-Gold-WhiteFace-Box-P1040600-Resized.jpg

It was an eBay auction for a Yema presentation box, which ended earlier today, that reminded me. :blush:

Yema-Box-Stand-eBay-August2011.jpg

I've got a couple of these myself already, plus some other Yema P.o.S. stuff, including:

Yema-Sign-eBay-Sept2010.jpg

The burgundy / maroon colour vinyl / leatherette and velour used on the Orient presentation box ....

(although it might not appear so in the photos above) are an identical colour to the Yema materials.

I already have my suspicions about a Seiko / Orient collaboration on these J39's - but were Yema (C.G.H.) involved too ? :lookaround:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Not one of my favourites, really :unsure: - but again another interesting variation ....

Indeed, I much prefer wearing my Orient 'Pseudo-Plongeurs', even though a couple of them can be classed as 'beaters'. :wub:

This is another Q&D group photo of them I'd posted elsewhere, recently, in another thread in 'General Discussion' section:

P1050334.jpg

Left to right:

J39001-70 - on an el cheapo 'Orient' branded 18mm bracelet.

J39001-70 - on the correct original Orient p/n SA160 bracelet.

J39001-70 - currently on Seiko p/n B1688S bracelet (fitted with an Orient clasp) and

J39601-70 - the original (ex-Kurt) Gunmetal two-tone J39 which started off this thread.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

You'll note that the first 3 are all the same case model # - J39001-70.

That's presumably because they share the same Stainless / Gold two-tone finish.

The ex-Kurt Gunmetal / Gold two-tone on the far right is case model # J39601-70 ....

even though it shares exactly the same gold lettering on black dial as the one next to it.

It's had me wondering, for quite a long time, what the intermediate models, presumably ....

J39101-70; J39201-70; J39301-70; J39401-70 and J39501-70 might look like (if they ever existed).

It's this extract from the Orient Watch Co.'s email, which has been nagging at the back of my mind:

We had several type of J39 chronograph models until 1990 year, but it is regret to say that we do not have such records in hand now.

To which end, I 'google' every now and then - in the vain hope of finding something else - besides my own musings. :read:

I got (very) lucky a couple of weeks ago, when I found this: http://www.wimstore.com/schmuck/uhren-flohmarkt/nivada---poljot/orient/orient-herrenuhr-chronograph-quarz.php

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Wimstorecom-VU11148.jpg

It appeared to be yet another variation on the J39x01-70 'Pseudo Plongeur' - but not two-tone for a change - ALL stainless.

Although the Tachymeter ring has white lettering instead of gold, it uses the same J392 0017 black dial with gold printing:

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-WimstorecomAustria.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Wimstorecom-VU11148.jpg

48 Euros didn't seem like a bad price to me - particularly from a dealer, and ....

this example looked to be in nice condition, despite missing its original bracelet.

So I swiftly added it to my basket, and proceeded to check-out. :naughty:

Then I came across a stumbling block - payment required by Bank Transfer. :mad:

So I emailed the vendor, and asked if, by any chance, he accepted PayPal. Nein. :no:

I was about to email him and ask if I could phone a Visa card number through ....

when he emailed me saying that it was O.K. to send cash Euros by recorded letter. :thumbsup:

So I printed off a copy of the invoice ready to send him the cash the next day.

Then a couple of hours later, I received this email from Wimstore's proprietor, Josef Walkner:

Wir können Ihnen die Uhr leider nicht verkaufen. Bei der Endkontrolle stellte sich heraus, dass ein Chrono nicht ordnungsgemäß funktioniert und sich die Uhr dadurch nicht justieren lässt. Die Uhrzeit ect. ist funktional. Ein Service würde sich für uns nicht auszahlen.

Wenn Sie wollen, dann schenken wir Ihnen die Uhr. Sie müssten nur die Portokosten übernehmen. Ein Maxi-International Plus – Brief, kostet 8.20.

Falls Sie die Uhr haben möchten, legen sie bitte 8,00 € in ein Kuvert.

Entschuldigen Sie bitte die Unannehmlichkeiten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen. Josef Walkner

Roughly translated, it starts off .....

Unfortunately, we cannot sell you the watch. During final inspection it turned out that a chrono functions incorrectly,

and (the watch) cannot thereby not be adjusted. The time etc. is functional. Servicing it would not be economic for us.

:cray: But it soon gets much better. :grin:

Because Josef subsequently offered it to me, FREE OF CHARGE - for just the 8 Euros cost of postage.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Then a couple of hours later, I received this email from Wimstore's proprietor, Josef Walkner ....

Because Josef subsequently offered it to me, FREE OF CHARGE - for just the 8 Euros cost of postage.

That was late on a Friday evening - 29th July, IIRC.

Before he might have a chance to change his mind .... I was determined to post off a letter, the very next day.

Saturday morning, I went to my local Post Office, to get 10 Euros cash - to find they only had 20 Euro notes in stock. :angry:

But I thought 'what the heck', and posted off a 20 Euro note by 'International Signed For', with a copy of Josef's email.

Being the impatient and inquisitive so-and-so that I am, I'd also emailed Josef ....

asking him if he could tell me the J39xxx-xx model number stamped on the case-back.

He simply replied at the bottom of that same email:

Ps. J39……… befindet sich an der Rückseite.

You can find it on the case-back yourself. :umnik2:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

On the 9th August, as I hadn't heard anything I sent an email 'chaser', and received this reply:

hello mr.

here is thomas – son of josef.

yes we get your letter. i found 20 euros inside. i put 10 back to the watch (if i would know that the postage will be about 15 euros i take more). so i will arrive soon.

yours sincerly

thomas walkner

It duly arrived last Friday. :)

I was away for most of last weekend, so here's a couple of Q&D photos I rattled off earlier today:

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-1-Resized.jpg

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-2-Resized.jpg

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-3-Resized.jpg

The watch is in almost pristine condition, save being sadly bereft of it's original fitment stainless bracelet.

It's fitted with a nice quality leather strap, but you can see marks on the end of the case where the bracelet once rubbed.

In fact, the watch head generally / bezel insert / crystal on this is in even better condition, than the one I bought from Kurt.

Not bad for 10 Euros, eh ? :eek:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

You'll note that the first 3 are all the same case model # - J39001-70.

That's presumably because they share the same Stainless / Gold two-tone finish.

The ex-Kurt Gunmetal / Gold two-tone on the far right is case model # J39601-70 ....

It's had me wondering, for quite a long time, what the intermediate models, presumably ....

J39101-70; J39201-70; J39301-70; J39401-70 and J39501-70 might look like (if they ever existed).

And the J39xxx-xx case-back model number ?

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-4-Resized.jpg

J39701-70 ! :rofl2:

So I'm still none the wiser (about the 'missing' intermediate J39x01-70 model numbers). :umnik2:

Note also 'ALL Stainless Steel' on this one, instead of the usual Stainless Steel + 'TGP'.

Orient-J3920-StainlessGold-CreamFaceJ39001-70-LeatherStrap-eBay-July2010-8.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

And the 'chronograph fault' mentioned by Josef in his email, the reason he wouldn't charge me for the watch ? :huh:

Well, within 10 seconds of unpacking it, I'd diagnosed it, and honestly less than a minute later had fixed it ! :)

You guessed it, the easiest '7A38 fix' of all ....

The sweep hand's finger tension spring had been displaced, and was rubbing on the side of the shaft.

With many thanks to Josef and Thomas Walkner of Wimstore.com, for their very generous donation to my collection. :cheers:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

The sweep hand's finger tension spring had been displaced, and was rubbing on the side of the shaft.

In case anybody's in any doubt about the ease of this fix, I've already documented it in an earlier 7A38 thread:

A Rant About High Street Watch-Botchers (with apologies to Josef Walkner - no such criticism intended :wink: )

After I took those Q&D photos in post # 82, I noticed a speck of dust on the dial (as you always do :blush:).

I'd previously removed the movement to re-align the Tachymeter dial ring (see the Wimstore web image).

So while I had the case-back off, I thought I'd take a couple more Q&D's to demonstrate the (non) problem. :photo:

Dis-placed finger spring (as received):

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Movement-P1050621-Resized.jpg

Rectified (in under 30 seconds):

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Movement-P1050620-Resized.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

In case anybody's in any doubt about the ease of this fix, I've already documented it in an earlier 7A38 thread:

A Rant About High Street Watch-Botchers (with apologies to Josef Walkner - no such criticism intended :wink: )

After I took those Q&D photos in post # 82, I noticed a speck of dust on the dial (as you always do :blush:).

I'd previously removed the movement to re-align the Tachymeter dial ring (see the Wimstore web image).

So while I had the case-back off, I thought I'd take a couple more Q&D's to demonstrate the (non) problem. :photo:

Dis-placed finger spring (as received):

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Movement-P1050621-Resized.jpg

Rectified (in under 30 seconds):

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-Movement-P1050620-Resized.jpg

Lol...yep...I had one with the same "problem". And being the complete mechanical klutz it took a little

prodding from Seikofan to get me to act...but finally..I removed the back and replaced the finger to the proper location. It's worked like a charm ever since.

I'm glad I read all the way to the end of this thread, because I found a fix for a problem I didn't even know I had! I knew my 7A28-7089 chrono sweep second hand sometimes stuck, but I didn't know about this common problem and thankfully easy fix:

6072743501_2a388c1aed_z.jpg

Thanks for showing me the light!

Just for fun, here's my [now properly-functioning] titanium beauty:

6072743573_f85841c47f_z.jpg

I'm glad I read all the way to the end of this thread, because I found a fix for a problem I didn't even know I had!

You should hang around here more often, Brandon. :wink2:

You'll learn LOTS more about 7Axx's here than you might on the SCWF. :thumbsdown:

6072743501_2a388c1aed_z.jpg

By the way, you really should replace that under-sized # 399 cell with a # 394 type - ideally a Maxell SR936SW. :smartass:

Thanks for showing me the light!

Pleasure as always ! :hi:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

By the way, you really should replace that under-sized # 399 cell with a # 394 type - ideally a Maxell SR936SW.

I was wondering if you'd call me out on that! The 399 is what was in it when I got it, and I haven't gotten around to putting a correct one in there yet. Soon, I hope...

You'll learn LOTS more about 7Axx's here than you might on the SCWF.

I've already found that to be true. Though, admittedly, there are a couple good 7Axx threads on the SCWF (mostly in the "Watchmaking & Tinkering" section). Forum member DaveS is a wealth of knowledge on 7Axx's and has helped answer a few of my questions.

You should hang around here more often, Brandon. :wink2:

I've been lurking for a couple weeks; I'll try to get a little more chatty! Looks like you've got a good crew here.

By the way, you really should replace that under-sized # 399 cell with a # 394 type - ideally a Maxell SR936SW.

I was wondering if you'd call me out on that! The 399 is what was in it when I got it, and I haven't gotten around to putting a correct one in there yet. Soon, I hope...

Brandon. Likely to be sooner rather than later, in my experience. :whistle:

If you read the first three posts in that other thread on the subject of displaced finger springs: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53474

The #399 (a Maxell SR927SW) fitted in that 7A38-726A lasted less than 2 years ....

whereas the correct #394 size (Maxell SR936SW) can last more than 5 years. :thumbsup:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

You'll learn LOTS more about 7Axx's here than you might on the SCWF.

:aggressive::aggressive:

Wassup, Skip ? :huh: True dat ? :grin:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

The most recent of my Orient J39's came from Austria - as had another earlier similar 'Diver'.

But they've turned up on eBay in Germany; Italy; Switzerland; and even the good old U.S. of A.

They're nowhere near as common as their esteemed Seiko 7A38 cousins, and take a little bit of seeking out. :search:

So how about the chances of another different J39 model surfacing 'down under' in Australia for a change ? :lookaround:

This first cropped up on my early warning radar nearly three weeks ago. :eek:

All I've got to go on so far, is the Antipodean eBay seller's two fuzzy photos:

Orient-J39xxx-xx-Gold-WhiteFace-eBay-August2011-1.jpgOrient-J39xxx-xx-Gold-WhiteFace-eBay-August2011-2.jpg

Obviously from the unique tri-compax sub-dial + Day/Date layout, it's another 7A38 / J39.

Looks similar to some of the Yema N8 dress gold-plated dress quartz chronographs too. :think:

Was described simply as: 'ORIENT QUARTZ CHRONOGRAPH' and 'White Face; Gold; Tan Adjustable Band'.

Oh - and (with the usual secondhand quartz watch rider) 'require batteries'. :fear:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

An interesting bit of sleuthing... :hi:

Dare I ask how many seiko's this one brings the total to??

Forget the Seiko 7A38's - they're into three figures now. :blush:

But special thanks to Phil(lionaire) for his very helpful intervention in procuring this one on my behalf, :cheers:

(from an un-cooperative eBay seller) which will hopefully soon become the 7th Orient J39 in my 'little' collection.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

All I've got to go on so far, is the Antipodean eBay seller's two fuzzy photos ....

Phil's just kindly emailed me a better photo, taken on his iPhone. Thanks, Phil ! :thumbsup:

Orient_J39908-70jpg.jpg

It looks a bit battered, but then it was always a bit of a 'fuzzy photo gamble' :unsure:

and besides 'we' only paid $33Au (+ postage) for it - a little over 20 Quid. :grin:

And the full J39 model # on the case-back (which I couldn't get from the intransigent eBay seller :angry:) ?

J39908-70 - So it fits nicely (numerically) into 'the scheme of things'. :)

These are what I've found so far (notes from my Excel spreadsheet):

Orient

Only three basic case model styles (Diver and 2 Dress) seen to date; more may exist, besides:

'Diver' # J39001-70 - Stainless + Gold two-tone with Champagne dial face (eBay July 2010).

'Diver' # J39001-70 - Stainless + Gold two-tone with Light Grey dial face (eBay August 2010).

'Diver' # J39001-70 - Stainless + Gold two-tone with Black dial face (eBay March 2011).

'Diver' # J39601-70 - Gunmetal + Gold two-tone with Black dial face (ex Kurt Heide).

'Diver' # J39701-70 - Stainless (all over), but with same Black dial face (Wimstore July 2011).

'Dress' # J39908-70 - Gold-plated with White dial face, similar to Yemas. (eBay August 2011).

'Dress' # J39909-80 - Gold-plated with White dial face, and fixed 'Divers' bezel. (eBay April 2011).

All use movements signed ORIENT J3920 (stamped).

That, however, potentially still leaves a lot of gaps in Orient's J39xxx-xx model numbering sequence, yet to be 'discovered'.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-2-Resized.jpg

The watch is in almost pristine condition, save being sadly bereft of it's original fitment stainless bracelet.

It's fitted with a nice quality leather strap, but you can see marks on the end of the case where the bracelet once rubbed ....

Not bad for 10 Euros, eh ? :eek:

I decided it might look better on a stainless bracelet - even one nothing like the original fitment Orient p/n SA160 bracelet:

P1050701.jpg

So I've fitted a Seiko p/n G1410S, for the time being, which goes quite well, with a matching brushed finish Orient clasp:

P1050702.jpg

Slightly better photo, posted elsewhere:

P1050718.jpg

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I think it has the wrong dial as you rarely find gold batons / hands etc without a complement of gold on the case.

So what do you think about my recent 'freebee' all-stainless Orient J39, in the previous couple of posts, Robert ? :huh:

It appeared to be yet another variation on the J39x01-70 'Pseudo Plongeur' - but not two-tone for a change - ALL stainless.

Although the Tachymeter ring has white lettering instead of gold, it uses the same J392 0017 black dial with gold printing:

Orient-J3920-Stainless-BlackFaceJ39701-70-LeatherStrap-WimstorecomAustria.jpg

Particularly as when I received it, it looked just like that, with a slightly mis-aligned Tachymeter ring. :disgust:

That would indicate (to me) that the dial face and movement had been removed and replaced at some point.

I've been wondering myself as to whether it should have had a black dial with white printing, rather than gold. :unsure:

It would certainly look even better. But can anybody post a photo of a complete and original Orient J39701-70 ? :no:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan