• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
BonZa

wearing an auto watch while riding a motorcycle

I'm in the habit of always wearing my self winding watch, rarely taking it off except at night in bed, in the shower and when doing manual work. other than that it's on my wrist.

recently someone who knows a lot about watches mentioned to me in passing that it is not a good idea to wear it while riding a motorcycle. I thought at the time that was odd but have since noticed the continual vibrations in the handlebars and jarring when hitting bumps etc.

so is that good advice and could the watch be damaged while riding?

its a TAG Heuer Aquaracer btw

I'm in the habit of always wearing my self winding watch, rarely taking it off except at night in bed, in the shower and when doing manual work. other than that it's on my wrist.
recently someone who knows a lot about watches mentioned to me in passing that it is not a good idea to wear it while riding a motorcycle. I thought at the time that was odd but have since noticed the continual vibrations in the handlebars and jarring when hitting bumps etc.

It’s a non issue. I know a lot about watches too

Think of all the tennis players, golfers etc who wear autos. Not to mention the people wearing autos whilst driving in sports cars with firm suspension.

Never damaged any of mine in over 45 years of riding motorbikes, and some of the bikes rattled and vibrated like a jack hammer. :scared: 

• Like 1

Resonance of any kind is more likely to cause chronic damage to a mechanical watch although even this is very unlikely. Sports shocks ( ie Golf ) may only damage a cheap mechanical I would assume ( and again very very rarely ). There have been examples of Golfers having their watches fail on them and a couple of watch companies have even produced variants of luxury watches for Golfers over the years. If the vibration frequencies from a motorbike often match some of the natural frequencies inside the watch then in theory chronic damage could occur. The likelihood of long term damage would simply be due to the micro-thresholds employed by the movement allowing movement forces against the designed movement direction, how ever small. Historically watch movements have been engineered to avoid this sort of problem , but not necessarily to prevent it.

The final "bit of science" to put your mind at rest is that your wrist is actually a very efficient shock absorber. So much so that professional racing riders from decades ago often in later life suffer with Carpel Tunnel problems.... So don't worry , your body is taking the hit to save your timepiece.:thumbsup:

[ So in my opinion its a possibility , but extremely unlikely .... in the same way getting killed by a shark is less likely that falling from toilet seat and dying , statistically ]

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 2

There are many people, especially on forums, who would not wear a watch when playing sport or even when jogging which seems strange when you can buy `sports' watches. Certainly you don't see many professional tennis players wearing their Rolex on court - Nadal wears a Richard Mille and Warwrinka wears an AP but the Rolex guys and gals just slip their ones on for the photos. There again, there are people who insist you should not wear a watch in the shower, sauna, steam room but I have never had any problems wearing dive watches in those conditions. I would probably remove the watch is using a rotavator or jack-hammer as that could give excessive vibration.

If someone would care to teach me to ride a motorcycle then I will pass on my findings :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

in the same way getting killed by a shark is less likely that falling from toilet seat and dying , statistically

Must admit that I would feel far safer sitting on a toilet seat than swimming in shark infested waters despite your statistics. :scared:

• Haha 1

i worry wearing an automatic while pushing a shopping trolley over those bump things near a pedestrian crossing in the supermarket car park... I take my left hand off the bar and steer one handed. Putting the I in WIS :laugh:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BonZa said:

Not a problem with the vibration from a motorbike, I am more concerned that you take your watch off when you go to bed :nono: 

• Haha 2

I have always worn an automatic watch when riding motorcycles, bicycles, hacking logs, hammering in fence posts all day long, operating chainsaws, road hammers. Nothing has come to grief yet, although I suppose it could. Most of the time it has been a Seiko 5 that has taken all the punishment. Prior to quartz watches if you had a watch it was mechanical, and old British bikes rattle and vibrate a lot more than modern stuff. Suspension travel and damping has improved greatly as well. I certainly don't recall me or any of my mates complaining about their watches, and we all had them, because after we'd terrorised the local highways, we had to be home in time for tea, otherwise we'd get a row from our mums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ALWAYS switch from auto to cheap Casio quartz for the motor bike....thinking about vibrations and for an off....insurance claim could be tricky  especially for vintage/older autos or even newer ones without papers.

I used to ride a motorbike and never gave a thought to the automatic watch I was wearing.  Today I was sawing up some tree branches, then took them to the recycling centre (tip), came home, tidied up and am now sitting on my sofa. Still wearing an automatic watch that hasn't missed a beat.  

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Sports shocks ( ie Golf ) may only damage a cheap mechanical I would assume ( and again very very rarely ).

Yeah, lots of vibration if you slam your VeeDub :sign0178::sign0178::sign0178::sign0178::sign0178::sign0178:but your watch is probably OK.

My mate came off his high powered motorcycle literally ripping his seamaster off his arm and sending it spinning across the road - 40mph minimum I believe, I can’t remember the whole story but he broke something bike was screwed but a new strap and polish and the watch was back on his wrist. I think it’s easy to molly coddle things, would I wear a nice auto whilst using a jack hammer - no, but for stuff like sports etc I wouldn’t worry. It’s gonna need a service eventually , give them something to do other than dust it off ! 

It’ll be fine... don’t worry about it, as long as you are protected man! A watch can be replaced... you can’t!!

Done it many a time myself with my riding and swimming watch, Tauchmeister, nary an issue.