• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Not sure its a good idea, maybe get on without paying? Cheaper fares? And always a chance of software failure! If theres trouble, or a medical emergency, how will the bus know. 

Not enough info on the service, to make things clear.

A few years ago some bright spark came up with the idea of spending millions on building a guided bus way between Huntingdon and Cambridge, to ease congestion on the A14.  It consists of a road with concrete sides that specially adapted buses can travel along, while the driver sits there and does nothing. Then when it gets to Cambridge the guides on either side retract, and the driver takes over to drive on normal roads.  Now, I might be thick, but quite how this is a better solution than building... oh I don't know, maybe.... a normal road that could be used by normal buses, and maybe taxis as well?  Pretty much like a bus lane, similar to what you'd find in every city in the UK?  But no, it seems the solution to all our congestion problems is solved by having a road that is only used by one bus every 30 mins, and the rest of the time is empty. Oh, apart from the occasional cyclist who's been run over by the bus, because... er... it's on a guided road, and amazingly the bus can't swerve to avoid any obstacles because... er... well, it's got rollers on either side to keep it on the road.  Genius! :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

It’s for use in Methil!! There isn’t going to be a driver. Therefore the junkies can’t rob it, and they won’t pay in cash, there will just be a giant sharps bin where the driver normally sits that they can bung their old needles and sh!t in. 

Im a bit suspicious though, I think once their on, the doors will seal closed and they will all be dumped in the harbour, as police Scotland’s way of cutting down on crime in Fife. It must be cheaper than the tanker load of methadone they use every week!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Just wait until they make your pushbike 'self drive'....already trialling in the Netherlands....:thumbsup:

(Take note of the release date.......)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stdape said:

Not sure its a good idea, maybe get on without paying? Cheaper fares? And always a chance of software failure! If theres trouble, or a medical emergency, how will the bus know. 

Not enough info on the service, to make things clear.

The article did say that a safety driver will have to be on the bus which does rather reduce the point of it being self-drive.

21 minutes ago, richy176 said:

The article did say that a safety driver will have to be on the bus which does rather reduce the point of it being self-drive.

Exactly.

I did read that the government was considering approval of a device that would prevent cars sitting on the bumper of the car in front and constantly flashing their headlights. The Chancellor put a stop to that when the NHS told him how much it would cost in tranquillisers for BMW drivers. :whistle:

3 hours ago, richy176 said:

I did read that the government was considering approval of a device that would prevent cars sitting on the bumper of the car in front and constantly flashing their headlights. The Chancellor put a stop to that when the NHS told him how much it would cost in tranquillisers for BMW drivers. :whistle:

Funny-bmw-cartoon.png

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

That video of the self-driving bike is really surreal; thanks for showing it Rog.

As for the autonomous bus, I can see where Stagecoach is going with this and I don't like it. I use the buses regularly and the thought of one day being inside a crowded bus on the road with no driver does not appeal to me; I have encountered too many difficult and even dangerous episodes while on buses, and there will always be a need for at least someone with formal authority to be present. I fear that this will inevitably be more about saving money than anything else.