• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
stdape

Ingersoll Dismantle problem

Got an Ingersoll 5 Jewel Watch and can not seem to get movement out? i have taken most apart as pictures show, but i can not seem to open front or pull out from back.

Has anyone had experience in similar watch and does the front come off ?? annoying as want to clean case and dial.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eft0umcbo3d6ocy/DSCN0500.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/go7l62bw3gbrntr/DSCN0498.JPG?dl=0

Edited by stdape

Hi @stdape, you probably know far about all this than I do, but I'll share the little I know.

I have a Helvetia from the early 1960s. I was in a similar position to you and couldn't figure out how to get the movement out. In response to patient coaxing from this forum I eventually did manage to remove the front bezel and take my movement out that way. I spent ages looking with a loupe all round the front bezel and was convinced there was no groove, or cutout. I never did see it, but I was able to feel a slight flattening. I worked in that area with a razor blade, then a Stanley knife blade, then it was off. I just needed to clear up the blood and I was away.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure the experts will be along in a minute to tell you that was all wrong!

• Haha 1

You are probably right, i have tried with a stanley knife, the watch is in a real grubby condition, and looks like a previous attempt was made before i purchased it. The winding cogs were wrong way round ! . Will keep trying hopefully no blood lol. 

• Like 1

Well managed to get apart in end, got crystal out , pushed movement  out, very tight due to dirt. I reckon it is somebody's reject watch, Balance Broken, Winding Cogs in wrong way, and the Centre Cog which holds the hands was jammed, broke the stem. Its only a cheap watch couple of quid so no loss, parts can be re salvaged.

No idea on movement only got 556 on it, i guess that means something.

Good for practice, see why it was cheap on E-Bay lol. If anyone can bring light to the 556 be grateful too know