• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Karrusel

Clock & Watch Fair. Sunday 10/03/2019

Due to being accompanied by some expert tutelage I was able to acquire an...

1878 Silver cased Adam Burdess of COVENTRY pocket watch.

50mm, 15 jewel lever fusee.

Few quick pics

mAvw00R.jpg

xOkGNYl.jpg

tX4DB2w.jpg

tMGhyjF.jpg

mAfgoMy.jpg

Quite busy, usual suspects in attendance :biggrin:, always a pleasure to spend time chatting. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Very nice. What's the dial made of?

Dial is enamelled, Phil.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Dial is enamelled, Phil.

That confirms what I thought, thanks Alan. It's just so beautiful. I think I would rather like a watch with an enamel dial!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caller. said:

It's just so beautiful. I think I would rather like a watch with an enamel dial!

I agree Phil, the radiant sheen enamelled dials give off is rather appealing. :yes:

Enamelled dials do withstand degrading extremely well but can be prone to hairlines & chipping though.

Pretty standard fare at the time my acquisition was made, producing them involves a lengthy complex set of processes, including various firings for each layer/colour/decoration, often at different temperatures (the failure rate could be quite high)

• Like 2

That’s a lovely clean looking pocket watch Alan, well done, it’s a worthy addition to your collection. :thumbsup:

The maker’s name rang a bell so I did a bit of checking. There was an Adam Burdess working in Coventry who patented a design whereby a watch could be wound by a lever and the time set by moving a disc. This innovation negated the need of a key. 

I found a sales listing for one of these watches along with some links to other background information. 

https://buyanticks.com/product/rare-english-lever-wind-pocket-watch-by-burdess-of-coventry-silver-1873c/

http://www.horologist.co.uk/coventrysigned.htm

https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?assetId=763036001&objectId=58231&partId=1#more-views

While of interest I appreciate it may not be the same watchmaker. Either way it doesn’t detract from your purchase today which is a beautiful watch.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@davidcxn

Thank you David, It is indeed the same watchmaker.

The colleague (81 year old) who kindly assisted me with this purchase was Coventry’s last official ‘master’ watchmaker.  He has an absolutely stunning collection of timepieces, including every model Adam Burdess produced.

He is also an accepted source of knowledge on Ulysee Nardin timepieces, where he trained for a time.  An invaluable & generous friend!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1