UK Watch Forum banner

I just dont get the speedmaster

2K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  Thegooddetective 
#1 ·
So having donned my flame proof pants and taken some brave pills here goes

I quite like omegas, i have a seamaster chrono , a dynamic chrono, and a seamaster dive watch, but try as i might i cannot get on with speedmaster, i have a nagging feeling that i should own one for a "rounded collection" and the seamaster chromo has the 861 movement like the moon watches but, i just cant bring myself to pull the trigger.

I have tried them on many times but they just dont feel right, i thought at first that it was the size, so i have also tried the reduced but that is even worse, I dont like the way the bezel looks from the side and the whole thing feels too big for me, also for me the dial is busy but boaring, i dont feel the same about the bulova moon watch, and the tripple calander is even busier but i quite like it, and the myriad of special editions gets my goat.

The 1957 seris could for me be a "birth year watch" however in conclusion i just dont get it, they dont sing to me, but given the love for them on this forum, I am looking forward to being re educated.

give it your best shot guys

See less See more
#7 ·
Isn't this what make this watch collecting malarkey great? I don't like most Rolex ( subs, Daytona's, DJ's etc) while a lot of other people do...so what? It's all about individual choice, I'd hate to see everybody the same as everybody else. You don't like the Speedmaster, I love it (although I don't own one) it's what makes the world go round :thumbsup:

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Chris 810 I have owned four of the Moonwatch Speedmasters a modern version with the cal. 1861, "From Moon to Mars" model, Gemini IV (blue dial and white registers) and a vintage version with the cal. 861 out of the four I prefered the Gemini IV version which I wish I had kept, as for the rest it wasn't that I disliked them they just didn't arouse any feelings positive or negative.

I have also owned a MkII Racing dial, Mk III, Mk IV and a Mk 4.5 all of which I also sold

Last year I bought a beaten up Mk4.5 which I had restored and I am glad I did.

I guess I fall into the category of liking Speedys enough to buy them but not enough to keep them.

I do regret selling the Gemini IV though (see below, not my pic) not least they sell around £7,000!

Omega-Speedmaster-Gemini-IV-First-Space-

#11 ·
Always liked the idea of a Speedmaster but never got around to buying one. My preferred version would be the 57 Anniversary at 38mm. The date versions and most of the special issues leave me cold.

One day the timing will be right and I'll give one a go.

#13 ·
The first time I saw a Speedmaster was on a lecturer's wrist at university. I didn't know what the watch was, but I knew I wanted one.

I urge you to look at the shape of the watch case again, front, back and sides; it's fascinating and beautiful. My one criticism is that the modern bracelets detract from the aesthetics of the case. The older style bracelets with the slimmer profile and thinner taper suit it much better.

#18 ·
I've not had a speedmaster yet, but love the look and feel of them. I don't normally like busy dials or bezels either, but the Speedy does appeal. I love the Moon to Mars version, but they don't seem to be available often and attract a premium because of this. I'd quite like one of these when the funds allow

The blue dial Gemini IV shown by JoT ticks a lot of boxes for me in that it's a speedy, has a blue dial and contrasting subdials. It looks clear and fresh. I like. :thumbs_up: . A couple of guys at work bought different versions as retirement watches. One a manual wind Moonwatch and the other the Apollo edition with the gold accents and numerals on the dial and the subdial depicting Apollo. I thought the latter would be horrible, but in the flesh it's a fantastic looking watch.

I do get that people get cheesed off with the continuing release of special editions, but life would be boring if we all liked the same. Buy what you like, pass by what you don't :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Having read through all the replies i am struck by what a reasonable rational and well balanced bunch you are, i will continue to look but i dont think i will ever find one that sings to me might have a look at the tripple date, as they seem good value to me but the case and bezel issue would i suspect be the same.

A number of you have expressed dislike for the bracelet, and i have to agree i dont like omega bracelets in general because of the micro adjustment issues, and seeing seamasters hanging off peoples thumbs they are so loose, upsets me the same way drinking soup from a cup does, (it just aint right )

i like chronographs but speedy not for me, just for full disclosure i dont get the daytona either, but i will need another set of fireproof pants to get into that.

Keep it coming, you never know the darkside of the moon 1957 issue with the dial made from Neil Armstrong's used coke cans might be just the thing to change my mind :)

#26 ·
Another that is not overly struck by the Moonwatch, I have tried a couple. My preference is more vintage the Racing MKII is lovely but I had always hankered for a 125 and managed to get one a while back and must say I am not disappointed.

A

Also quite keen on the Broadarrow :biggrin:

#36 ·
Another that is not overly struck by the Moonwatch, I have tried a couple. My preference is more vintage the Racing MKII is lovely but I had always hankered for a 125 and managed to get one a while back and must say I am not disappointed.

A

Also quite keen on the Broadarrow :biggrin:
Ha, I'd forgotten that I once owned a 125 as well. Size of a brick - you could literally beat someone to death with it. Sold it to a chap in Spain for around £1600 I recall. Wonder what it's worth now?

#27 ·
I could be drawn to the colourful racing ones and have had a look at a broard arrow but they are too big ho hum

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
As I mentioned in another thread sometime back - I had to wait around 30 years to get my Speedy & I was & remain very happy with it. Imo it`s an excellent & great looking watch...

Watch Automotive tire Flash photography Style Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

Gas Font Circle Symmetry Event

Attachments

#30 ·
As I mentioned in another thread sometime back - I had to wait around 30 years to get my Speedy & I was & remain very happy with it. Imo it`s an excellent & great looking watch...

There are two of us on this thread who actually like them then... :laugh:

-----------------

Someone mentioned the modern bracelet... My Speedmaster is not even a year old and I actually find the bracelet incredibly comfortable to wear! I'd go as far to say its the perfect bracelet. Well certainly the best I have worn anyway (so far!).

#29 ·
On a bass guitarists' forum I used to frequent there was someone who collected Gibson bass guitars. You might think that runs to 20 or 30 at the most, but no. Every model has countless variations, even if you leave colour out of it. His collection overflowed his house, into his office. I only raise this as an example of where "I should have one to complete my collection" can lead. :crazy5vh:

#33 ·
Chosen by Nasa for the moon and worn on the moon. I think that's it. I would love a Speedmaster but if it wasn't for the moon connection I wouldn't be that bothered.

Gary
I won`t deny that the moon landings connection adds something to the watch but if it wasn`t , imo, a great watch in it`s own right, I wouldn`t bother having one :biggrin:

#35 ·
The Speedmaster Date ( various incarnations ) is a sublime watch. I owned one and loved it ... only moved it on because at some point I want a slightly different variant at some point. Being as you can get those NOS for about £1900 , for me there is no better value Chrono.... The Moonwatch is also nice , but for me in the end , it was just too expensive for what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.