• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Redwolf

One in, one out, does it work??

Hi all

Recently I’ve tried to stick to a one in one out rule, but.... it’s harder than it sounds.

I may try one out one in as then it’s easier to let one go?

Who else has tried and failed with this madness?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I adhere strictly to a method easily memorable by the acronym bwiwswiwwiwt

Buy What I Want Sell What I Want When I Want To

I find that this method works exceptionally well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have never tried, I'm not sure I really see the point unless you have a *lot* of watches. I'm at 30 watches now and am quite comfortable to carry on at present.

No-way, mine are all keepers. 

Although a couple I'm not so keen on now - if I sold them I'd probably end up missing them - so I now work on the principle that you can't have too many watches (although my wife might disagree :biggrin:)

The only watches I would consider selling are pretty screwed, and it would largely be to offset buying the same thing again!

Then again I've got 7, so it's hardly a collection is it :biggrin:

Edited by ry ry

If it works to ease your conscience, then keep it up.

"Well thats one in.... so I'll sell one soon. Probably. If it feels right. Maybe..."

• Haha 4

Its how i've worked, but it brings regrets, my main ones being, i sold a mint omega electronic the cone version with original brushing on the case to buy an omega pre bond that wasnt that good and lost a bit of money on the pre bond which set me back, I sold a brand new LLD to buy a Tudor which wasn't so bad but then I sold the tudor to chip in towards a car swap from a 2002 Merc CL500 to a 2005 one. Not to confuse matters. The car swap was a good one though the car has now gone and i miss that 1990 Tudor Prince. I also sold an Omega Deville a lovely little 1983 quartz which once originated from the stable of Kev, if I remember rightly (it was the one with paper work from the big Jewellers that used to be in Bolton Centre). Name escapes me now. That was a lovely watch. And we reunited it with the paper work after a bit of detective work on TZ. I think I let that go to buy a new Tissot Viso Date. Which was a mistake. I realised i preferred vintage and that added salt in the wound of flogging an omega for a tissot. So the one in one out can actually be worse financially as well as irreversible almost if you make a mistake. Perhaps it would work with a little less haste ie buy the one you want and with the one you are intending to sell to replace it, put it on one side for a month and then see how you feel.  

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 2

for the last year its worked for me, one in one out, or one out one in  , BUT that's in conjunction with  this below, if I cant get it in the case its not coming in until there is a space or one being created. yes I could buy another case ( well I cant because you don't seem to be able to get them now ) but its working for me both financially( not buying for buying sake) , aesthetically and space wise :thumbsup:

deano

ps it is full at the minute  :biggrin:

lBmdCUY.jpg

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

My strategy was one in per month.
Then 2 out 1 in.

Repeat until you get the watch you really want without incurring the wrath from the missus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good comments guys, I think the buy what you want sell what you want theory is probably best I guess. 

I just feel like it gets on top every now and then. 

Mad this watch buying malarkey. 

• Like 1

Just done 5 out 3 in so not quite one to one 

no sorry forgot one so its 6 out 3 in so yes one in one out works 

but i was trying to reduce the collection size so no it doesnt 

oh no i forgot about two seiko’s so thats 6 out 5 in, so im not doing well at all

oh just buy what you want im getting confused !

I don’t do one in one out as such, but I do have a separate bank account for only watches and if there’s nothing in there it means I cannot buy before selling first. Simples!

I bought 11 watches in one morning in December, but I’ve sold 10 of those 11 and 12 others into the bargain, since Christmas!

it’s all about the cash flow for me, as opposed to one in one out. 

• Like 1

My strategy (if you can call it that) is to try and keep the collection more or less self funding, so if something catches my eye and I "absolutely must have it" (lol) I will usually try to sell a few to cover all - or most - of the cost.  I've sold 2 or 3 to fund one new incoming in the past, which I think is a good idea, as it means the collection is kept to a reasonable level (if you can call a collection of 40 - 50 watches "reasonable"....?).  Also, a one-out, one-in strategy has the disadvantage of the individual value staying the same, whereas selling 2 or 3 to fund one means the individual value increases.  That's the theory anyway.  In practice, this goes out the window whenever I see something I like at the cheaper end of the scale (i.e. Fat Face :laughing2dw:), in which case I just buy 'em anyway! 

Interesting topic though, and of course there are no right or wrong answers.

I don't allow myself to keep a watch if I don't wear it at least once a fortnight. Thankfully I currently have just a small & stable collection that I'm very happy with so no hard decisions. Perhaps the hardest thing is browsing watch forums which then stokes my desire for something new (and why is it always something more expensive!?!)

Works for me but I only keep a small collection of 4 watches. Been one in one out for the past couple of years. Means all my watches get worn on a regular basis. 

As long as I don't have more money than I can afford tied up I'm not that bothered. I always need a cheap work beater (currently Kahuna), and at the moment Seiko Dawn Grey turtle, a new Helson Sharkdiver, and a few cheap and cheerfull ones knocking around (a few Seiko 5's, the 2 raffle watches won here etc). Total value less than a grand and no worries.

But one in one out is definitely a good plan if it can be kept to, and I try to for the dearer ones, sold a STO turtle today because the Helson came in last week. I only want to keep two at a time that are worth a few hundred or more each. 

I purchase watches for my kids and put it on a layaway plan, they do not get their watches until I am finally laid away.

• Haha 2

@Redwolf I have tried all sorts of schemes, including one-in one-out none of them work :laugh:

Now I see my watches as a reasonably liquid asset and if I need the money tied up in the collection I can sell some or all of them, that way I have assuaged my feelings of guilt :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoT said:

feelings of guilt 

Not sure I have grasped that concept :hmmm9uh:

• Haha 3