• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Rugsoriental

Hi from a newbie going to view an Explorer mkII

As my title says I’m new to this site and after years of buying various Quartz watches I’m growing to admire mechanical/automatic movements.

I’ve looked around a few watch forums and watched many a vlog on YouTube and of course scoured the watchmakers sites for knowledge and of course that first special watch

Liked the look of the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra and its amazing display back showing its Co-Axial movement but I couldn’t decide on which colour so I’ve put that on hold while I look at a Rolex Explorer today if my half term commitments (children) let me 

anyway I’ll stop the rambling and keep you updated

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum , I've owned the submariner and the explorer polar 2 both cracking watches plenty of advise on the forum have a look at other brands too as plenty off watches similer to the two you like Cartier , Bermont , grand Seiko , iwc etc etc to name just a few 

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Now that you've joined, you might want to have a look at some of the other brands on display before commiting...especially in the daily 'what are you wearing' threads, as there are plenty to choose from. :thumbsup:

Thanks all  for replying. I was intending to look at a Rolex Explorer I (latest version) but having to visit Saturday instead of today. I don’t intend on wearing it as a daily watch but more like tuck it away. To be honest I think I would weep if it got even a small ding or scratch on it!

I did visit a Rolex Authorised dealer last week and it felt more like an audition to be told 30 minutes later they didn’t have any in stock and would I like to try a Oyster Perpetual ‘to see how it fits’ and then try on a Datejust - think that retailed at 9k! Anyway they said expect a wait of about 3 months for one.  I’m not after a Submariner or GMT (I hear wait lists of years) but is this wait normal.

Hi @Rugsoriental, welcome to the forum! Apparently the waiting list is quite a common theme - opinion seems divided on exactly how genuine it is, or what the precise purpose might be, but let's take it at face value. There are, of course, lots of other makers of fine watches out there. You have joined a fine place to learn about many of them.

32 minutes ago, Rugsoriental said:

So sorry everyone I meant Explorer 1 mk2 

Have a look at the Tudor Back Bay Heritage 41 as well :thumbsup:

0109504-0-ProductX?context=bWFzdGVyfGltY

I agree it’s very handsome and will read up on it (I promise not to have my opinions swayed by the YouTube ‘influencers’

Ideally my dream watch is something I’ll baby and one day pass onto the next generation or use it to fund something else. I’m far too OCD to let this particular watch get scratched!

Went to try on a new Explorer 1 and despite the concern it would get scratched easily I can see why it has such a strong following. It seems all so well put together that I’m going back as soon as I can to have a further viewing and wearing before I make the decision. My wife is onside but she would be happier if I got a watch I could wear everyday- & the dial was a lighter colour. in the end she said it’s my choice - think I will ask her to join me as it’s my first Rolex and maybe she will open to me getting another in the future by me involving her in the process. Wish me luck

2 hours ago, Rugsoriental said:

the concern it would get scratched easily .

Unless you really belt it, scratches will get polished out when it gets serviced.

Thanks for the heads up about the Explorers durability with scratches. As much as I like it and I really do, the bezel to me looks slightly too big. Granted it’s still a stunner.  I’m now going through the brochure looking at the GMT Master II

yes you read correct...the one with the ridiculous waiting list!

Maybe I will wake up in the morning and realise it was just a dream

14 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Unless you really belt it, scratches will get polished out when it gets serviced.