• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
MrF-UK82

New lens arrival - (Sigma 70-300mm)

Had a new lens arrive yesterday so just having a quick play around. Wasn't expensive - £65 from a decent fella on eBay (they do exist after all!! :laugh: )

Nikon D3300 camera

Sigma 70 - 300mm lens

Setup on a tripod - which I need to work out the best angles to shoot from. Obviously lots to learn regarding the use of light/ flash, etc.

Quite impressed by outcome of these, even if I did forget to clean my Speedy before taking the pictures!! :rofl:

I'd welcome any advice and recommendations to improve my images in the future (not looking for critic as such, for these images as I know they aren't very good lol).

I am very much an entry level/ beginner.

DSC_0147DSC_0153DSC_0146

• Like 1

Take many so you can delete the less appealing.

Buy a cheap lightbox or make one (I have no technical skills).

Don't put all your equipment away until you have viewed the shots you have taken. I have lost count of the times I've put everything away and then upon viewing on the computer have found the subject was dirty/ dusty/ out of focus/ badly lit and then don't have the inclination to get everything out again. "I'm better at making this observation than actually doing it."

Enjoy yourself trying different things, that's what its all about after all. :thumbs_up:

• Like 2

Restricted depth of field can be a bit of a nuisance with the more powerful zoom lenses and on the two close-up pics of your Speedy it would have been nice to have the watch in focus from edge to edge, if possible with that lens.:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brummie1875 said:

Take many so you can delete the less appealing.

Buy a cheap lightbox or make one (I have no technical skills).

Don't put all your equipment away until you have viewed the shots you have taken. I have lost count of the times I've put everything away and then upon viewing on the computer have found the subject was dirty/ dusty/ out of focus/ badly lit and then don't have the inclination to get everything out again. "I'm better at making this observation than actually doing it."

Enjoy yourself trying different things, that's what its all about after all. :thumbs_up:

Yes it's certainly enjoyable mate and I totally get what you are saying about putting everything away before viewing the shots... Did the same earlier! Oh well lesson learned :laugh:

4 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Restricted depth of field can be a bit of a nuisance with the more powerful zoom lenses and on the two close-up pics of your Speedy it would have been nice to have the watch in focus from edge to edge, if possible with that lens.:)

Yeah I get what you are saying mate. I need to get my head around the settings of the lens and finally get to grips with the cameras manual settings. Funny thing is I can take a half decent shot with my iphone :laugh: Oh well as mentioned above, its all the joys of learning.

• Like 2

Enjoy!

As you've said you don't want critique(not that I would critique, more so point out one thing you could do) I won't offer it, but if you have any questions about photography, camera settings etc, feel free to ask!

• Thanks 1

There is some noise in these shots which looks like you had the ISO set quite high. I use a D3300 and 35mm 1.8, not the easiest lens to use for this kind of photography I know. I use a speed light always with indoor photography, which allows me to keep my ISO at 100 so I get a crisp shot. Not trying to be a critique but just helping out :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Acsii said:

There is some noise in these shots which looks like you had the ISO set quite high. I use a D3300 and 35mm 1.8, not the easiest lens to use for this kind of photography I know. I use a speed light always with indoor photography, which allows me to keep my ISO at 100 so I get a crisp shot. Not trying to be a critique but just helping out :) 

Thanks mate - I have just got myself a flash so will try that and see how it improves my shots. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 29/10/2018 at 20:36, MrF-UK82 said:

Thanks mate - I have just got myself a flash so will try that and see how it improves my shots. :thumbsup:

You can get a cheap little softbox for them on Amazon or eBay too. It helps diffuse the light and really helps give good quality light in situations like this where you're basically doing product photography. 

It will definitely help keep your ISO down as you can't really have a slower shutter speed because you'd get blurring with the hands.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Reamer said:

You can get a cheap little softbox for them on Amazon or eBay too. It helps diffuse the light and really helps give good quality light in situations like this where you're basically doing product photography. 

It will definitely help keep your ISO down as you can't really have a slower shutter speed because you'd get blurring with the hands.

Wouldn't get blurring hands with a tripod :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, MrF-UK82 said:

Wouldn't get blurring hands with a tripod :thumbsup:

No I mean the hands of the watch moving :) It's hard to judge because unless perfectly timed, even a 1 second exposure may still show slight movement of the hand(s) on the watch.

Flash will help get more light in so you can have a fast shutter speed :) How are you getting on with it so far?