UK Watch Forum banner

Olympus Mirrorless Camera + Zoom Lens Trial Run

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  al_kaholik 
#1 ·
I made the switch from Nikon DSLR to Olympus mirrorless and bought a used Olympus E-M5 and a number of used Olympus micro four thirds lenses including a 40mm to 150mm f4.0 to f5.6 zoom (80mm to 300mm equivalent). Took it for a trial run at a rugby match yesterday, the picture below was taken from the opposite touchline at f16, 150mm, 1/400 second and ISO 1000. Not a bad result IMO given it is not the fast "Pro" lens which is out of my price range.

Only editing is a crop from 4:3 to 10:15 and a slight shadow accentuation

332519139_P9150216s-Copy.jpg.f2d60d06ca212923a49a18c56cd4ef74.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
Mirrorless is the way everything's going :yes: . M43 is a good system and there are lots of AF lenses from Oly, Panasonic and Sigma top choose from :thumbsup: . So much more portable too. Have you tried the lens in burst mode at, say, f7.1 with a faster shutter speed? Would be interesting to compare the results :)

#3 ·
I had a play around with that as well although even on high speed burst the E-M5 isn't the fastest when set on Fine quality, takes about 2 to 3 a second, it will go up to 9 a second if you set the quality lower. I got a few of individual players where depth of field wasn't so important.

I was (am I still have it) an Olympus OM1n user and using the E-M5 just feel right somehow, although the E-M5 is a 6 year old model which I am told is ancient in digital world :huh:

#5 ·
I'm an Olympus user. I have an EM10 mk1 and have a lot of love for the 'kit' 40-150. I believe I got it in 2014 and its been great, plenty of fantastic pictures with it. I don't have the Pro lens - having just come back from a couple of weeks holiday lugging gear around in the heat; body, 14-40 pro and 40-150 kit, I'm glad for the weight saving, and still appreciate the quality of the lens.

The 14-42EZ is also a cracking little lens which disappears down to nothing and you can get an automatic lens cap for.

Welcome to the dark side.

Most, if not al of these were taken with the 40-150. Don't believe anyone who tells you it isn't a good lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/atb321/sets/72157655984528252

#7 ·
you probably know. the leica screw and bayonet mount lenses will fit on a few m-13 (?) mount camera bodys. adapters available now cheep. aprox. $15. digital camera bodies are very costly and electronic ones need batterys. in any event, save those vintage lenses. vin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.