• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Carlos Fandango

Helvetia 800C Lug Repair

Hello all,

I recently posted to another thread that I was getting a new lug made for a broken case I had had for about 15 years.

Now I have the case back I thought I would start a new thread with all the details.

The watch is a Helvetia with an 18K teardrop lugged case from the 1940s with an 800C movement. First some pictures of before:

HelvetiaCase800_zpsyyyiccac.jpg

HelvetiaCase800-2_zpsvea6ovik.jpg

I go the case back yesterday and, though the match is not 100% I think it is pretty good for a handmade lug and I don't think you notice it unless you are looking. New lug is the bottom left:

800CCase2_zpsh7vyzuad.jpg

800CCase_zpsoqtdbxiu.jpg

Bottom right in this back shot:

800CCase3_zpsrl2xy7ya.jpg

Movement and dial replaced and female spring bars fitted:

800CCase4_zpsbea9kykw.jpg

Back on the wrist after many years:

800CWrist_zpsxitwiv0q.jpg

And with a couple of cousins:

Helvetia3_zpsatikdrka.jpg

This watch was the first vintage watch I ever bought and its great to be able to wear it again. It has sparked an interest in Helvetia watches. In the 30s and 40s they made some interesting watches. They made their own movements and tended to make larger than usual watches with some unusual dials and cases. I have collected quite a bit of information on Helvetia and am thinking of possibly starting a website about them.

Her is another I've just found that needs a bit of work. I'm going to start anew thread about it and it's brother on the left above. Thanks for looking.

82A_zpsuldn5lu7.jpg

Just to add on more thing. Simon kindly sent me a couple of crowns for the repaired case and I wanted to say thanks again to him for this. Unfortunately the domed one I wanted to use didn't quite fit as the long pipe meant I need to file the stem down a bit. I've fitted one of the other for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well on the wrist no one will ever know , so the lugs are soldered/ welded to the case  its not one piece ? good  job and save a good vintage watch from the scrap bin to be weighed in for the gold content :thumbsup:

deano