• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sakaro

Which watches would meet these requirements?

I have been wanting to buy myself a good reliable automatic watch for quite a while, but I have never had the time to do research. I spent a couple of hours on research today and think I know now what kind of watch I want. However, it seems to be impossible to match my requirements with available watches in a convenient way.

I want:

Top grade ETA movement or equivalent
Scratch resistant sapphire glass
Scratch resistant titanium wrist strap (alternatively ceramic)
Water resistant: 5 bar or more
[optional, but desired] Power reserve display (no other complications)
High degree of craftmanship 
As cheap as possible, as expensive as necessary (if possible, no premium surcharge for brand name)
Dial should only have a maximum of four colours (silver, white, black, blue), the simpler the better. Watch does not have to be dressy, but should definitely not be overtly sporty 

Any ideas? Would it be possible to stay below GBP 1000, or what would be a realistic price point?

Looking forward to your replies

Sakaro

It could be possible to stay below 1000 GBP but I'm not aware of Swiss watches with PR or I just can't remember any at the moment. It's the japanese that usually like PR indicators...

Hi Sakaro,

Like gimli has already said, you're unlikely to get a Swiss watch with PR in your budget. I'm also not aware of any "scratch resistant titanium". If you want ceramic, I'd  be looking at a Rado. For titanium, have a look at the Certina DS-1.

C006-407-44-081-00_FXA.jpg

• Like 2

There is a scratch proof titanium (ticonite) watch on kickstarter at the moment. Orlo watches, which may fit the bill. No PR though. Can't comment on the quality or manufacturer obviously as it's not available yet.

Edited by Hussle

Finding a pr will be tricky. I always liked the thought of one but they make the watch alot thicker also.  Not to mention take dial space. I still wouldn't mind one but it would need to be worth it. As said the Japanese prefer the pr more than Swiss. 

14 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

So to clear one thing up straight away. There is no such thing as "scratch proof Titanium" ... Titanium is an element and it is not scratch proof. Its really as simple as that. So anything that claims to be "scratch proof titanium" is in fact "Scratch-proof coated titanium".

Maybe you should present your findings to the Technical University of Denmark.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

There is no such thing as "scratch proof Titanium" ...

Under which context ?

54 minutes ago, Hussle said:

Maybe you should present your findings to the Technical University of Denmark.

Maybe you should add to a thread rather than post irrelevant nonsense. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hussle said:

???? That's your opinion and your opinion is not my concern.

And yet more irrelevant garbage. What are you talking about? 

Any why even reply if it’s not your concern?

• Haha 1

Gold and silver are normally full of impurities too, intentionally or otherwise. They're still called gold and silver.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

What findings ? That I can reference the periodic table ? Titanium is made of....... Titanium. It is not scratch proof. Never has been , never will be. 

Like I say ... its not Scratch Proof Titanium , because Titanium is an element. Its not a compound. Its on the periodic table. The only way it can be protected from scratches is to coat it, or mix it will something... In which case its no longer Titanium.

It would be like calling stainless steel "Stainless Iron" and forgetting the fact that Nickel is added.....

:thumbsup:

Titanium is an element. It made of pure Titanium atoms. And is not scratch proof. This is because of the lattice formation of the metal crystals. Its not possible to form Titanium to be scratch  proof. You have to add another material. And hence it then becomes an Alloy, but its not longer Titanium.

I was being obtuse. Some refer to Titanium as "scratch proof" because of its anti allergy properties, ie; not causing irritation, hence scratch proof.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If you bothered to read the article I linked to, you'll see that surface hardening is obtained by bonding titanium with gases: " The researchers have developed a method for hardening the surface based on gases, which can penetrate all small cavities and holes in the material and thus make it strong. It is a mixture of, for example, carbon and oxygen that is used for the treatment and which adds the extra strength.". There are very few pure metals in the world - even "pure iron" contains 0.15% impurities.

You are allowed to admit you're wrong occasionally. I had no idea scratch resistant titanium existed when this thread started as evidenced by my first reply.

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a tough case and bracelet you need to look at Sinn or Damasko pre owned, don't think they have a power reserve though and one further point ceramic can crack or even shatter.

Seiko do quite a few watches with a power reserve indicator in the Prospex and Presage range and Orient do some in the Star range.  The only thing is watches with PRIs tend to be either cheap and cheerful or eyewateringly expensive they arent usually found on a £1000 watch in my experience.  The only PRI equipped watch I have seen recently in your price range was a Rado Coupole Classic at around £1300 in Ernest Jones.

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

If you bothered to read the article I linked to, you'll see that surface hardening is obtained by bonding titanium with gases: " The researchers have developed a method for hardening the surface based on gases, which can penetrate all small cavities and holes in the material and thus make it strong. It is a mixture of, for example, carbon and oxygen that is used for the treatment and which adds the extra strength.". There are very few pure metals in the world - even "pure iron" contains 0.15% impurities.

You are allowed to admit you're wrong occasionally. I had no idea scratch resistant titanium existed when this thread started as evidenced by my first reply.

Thanks @Lampocthat's the material i was talking about in my first post. It's titanium treated with heat and gases so I don't see that as an alloy (or a mix of titanium and any other metal). The OP did not state he wanted a 100% titanium scratch proof watch so I found the nearest thing.

It's not an alloy containing titanium.

Ok, you're obviously right as always and the Technical University of Denmark (ranked among Europe's leading engineering institutions) is wrong. I never realised you were a world renowned metallurgist!

• Haha 2

Let me wade in to the affray and give my opinion.

Strictly Johnny is correct, titanium is an element and thus its properties are what they are - not scratch proof.

An alloy of titanium maybe however be hardened and it is surprising how a tiny amount of another element can alter the properties of another (For instance 18ct white gold, is 18 parts gold which is a soft metal and almost 6 parts silver which is also a soft metal yet is a pretty hard material... hard to fathom but that'c chemistry)

Some might think Johnny is being pedantic, but I think his statement is accurate and rather than calling him wrong simply amending the statement to say say a scratch-proof alloy of titanium makes every thing above correct.   I too love pedantry when someone claims they have 24ct gold, sorry but you don't 100% purity is impossible. 

As for gas pollishing then maybe that gives significant improvements in durability of the surface but again can't think that it alters the property of the metal to the extent that its hardness is increased, it simply is less likely to mark because the integrity of the surface has less weaknesses that can be exploited. 

+1 for the Certina DS, I was going to suggest it myself.   I still plan to visit somewhere which stocks them so I can give them a good inspection with my own eyes after hearing so many favourable reviews for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

But then again .... you probably buy Silit Bang ! :laugh:

Barry Scott is THE man though! He has the cleanest kitchen surfaces in all the land. 

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

****, a man asks about a watch and we end up with this. :laughing2dw:

Yep, just like the other channel. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I sometimes wonder if it's worth commenting or providing information at all on this forum. There are people on here who either know everything there is to know, even more than the qualified/experts, or try to oppress others because they don't like their opinion, even when it's nothing to do with them.

• Like 3

I'd point the OP towards Damasko to be honest, but you'll be looking at about 1500 UK pounds for a watch with a bracelet. Got to be the toughest watch cases and bracelets on the market, very little colour on the dials and many with simple, legible designs. German engineering at it's finest. But you'll have to compromise a bit. The DA42/3 is one of my targets, but on a strap.

Have a look here for some nicely exhibited examples and specs.

https://www.pageandcooper.com/brands/damasko/?_route_=brands%2Fdamasko%2F&p=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1