• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sakaro

Which watches would meet these requirements?

If you haven't checked it already, the Steinhart Apollon comes in titanium and a bracelet is available.

apollon-auto_12.1512746824.gif

Also, the Seiko Presage can be regulated to be very accurate, but you may have to take it to an independent watchmaker.

• Like 2

The Apollon was on my list for a while, IMO a lovely watch and a little different from the norm especially with the extra bezels.

I’ve had this titanium citizen for years! I have no idea whatsoever if it has been treated in any way, but has been through Iraq desert and Afghanistan twice plus lots of rough and tumble daily wear, the crystal is scratched in a few places but not a mark to be seen on the case! 

42896499131_99a06b5451_b.jpg

41086229530_0dc47e35a9_b.jpg

41086222130_d595e1da93_b.jpg

is it magic??? :laugh::laugh:

• Like 4

Today evening I went to a reputable second hand watch shop and they offered me a Vintage Grand Seiko 61GS 6145-8000 for about GBP 750 with 1 year warranty. The watch looked practically new. The shop said that they received the watch from a regular customer and collector, who does not wear his watches and who traded it in for another watch.

So basically I have three feasible options now:

1. New Seiko Presage SRPC79J1 for GBP 300/50 (depending on movement) with 3 years warranty

2. Vintage Grand Seiko 61GS 6145-8000 for GBP 750 with 1 year warranty

3. New Steinhart Apollon for GBP 420 or Ocean 2 White Premium for GBP 660 with 1 year warranty

Which option would you choose?

Yeah, it is that watch, looked the same, but with the black leather wrist strap that is shown on the grand seiko website under history. I find that watch gorgeous, but did not have much time, so could not examine it in detail. If I go back to the shop, is there anything special I should check and ask them, in order to make sure that everything is ok? The only additional information I got from them so far is that the current tolerance of the watch is +-10-20 seconds. 

@Sakaro before buying the GS, do you trust the dealer, do they have a solid reputation, and can they keep the watch running for you in years to come ? , and If you are not happy with the watch in the first couple of weeks, will you get a refund ? If the answers are yes to all, the I would go for it.

6 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Part of my point that has gone, was that your example is good enough for a salesman to use ?! In other words I was complimenting you and your watch, not taking the pi55. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Not taken the wrong way at all mate. Gave me a chuckle. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Very different watches. Which one makes your heart rate quicken? 

15 hours ago, Sakaro said:

Yeah, it is that watch, looked the same, but with the black leather wrist strap that is shown on the grand seiko website under history. I find that watch gorgeous, but did not have much time, so could not examine it in detail. If I go back to the shop, is there anything special I should check and ask them, in order to make sure that everything is ok? The only additional information I got from them so far is that the current tolerance of the watch is +-10-20 seconds. 

As much as I like Steinhart, I would go for either of the Seiko's.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 03:38, Sakaro said:

Top grade ETA movement or equivalent
Scratch resistant sapphire glass
Scratch resistant titanium wrist strap (alternatively ceramic)
Water resistant: 5 bar or more
[optional, but desired] Power reserve display (no other complications)
High degree of craftmanship 
As cheap as possible, as expensive as necessary (if possible, no premium surcharge for brand name)
Dial should only have a maximum of four colours (silver, white, black, blue), the simpler the better. Watch does not have to be dressy, but should definitely not be overtly sporty 

Any ideas? Would it be possible to stay below GBP 1000, or what would be a realistic price point?

There are lots of choices (and I would caution that you don’t have to get an ETA movement to get a high quality accurate movement, Seiko and Selitta make some great ones), until you get to the titanium bracelet mandate IMHO. A 316L steel bracelet will be plenty durable. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting titanium, I’d put that on the “nice to have” part of your list. 

The Hamilton Khaki is nice but seems overly “sporty” for OP’s requirements. Maybe the Hamilton King or whatever it’s called. I like  the Jazzmaster or the Khaki Air Race for your list. (Browse the collection for autos.)

https://shop.hamiltonwatch.com/automatic-watches/khaki-air-race-h76225151.html (also available in a 42mm version)

Edited by Chromejob

I am still thinking about which watch to get. Many of you suggested that I buy the vintage Grand Seiko, my heart would tell me the same. However, reading about GS, I came across many articles that claim that if something breaks, vintage Grand Seikos are hard to repair as Seiko has discontinued service for them. if I spend GBP 750 on a watch that's an investment for me. I do not mind spending a bit of money on servicing the watch down the line, but if the watch breaks 15 months from now and either cannot be repaired or has to be repaired for a price that comes close to or exceeds the original purchase price, I would be devastated, and of course I would want to wear it, probably on an almost daily basis.

The Steinhart Apollon would be the choice of reason. Reliable, versatile, rugged, easy to service, can be worn daily for years to come. It ticks all the boxes, but it is a bit on the gaudy side of things, not ugly but big, even though the dial is actually kind of pretty. I am not a huge fan of the bezels though.

The Seiko Presage SRPC79J1 is elegant, the dial is a bit flashier than the Grand Seiko. It's the cheapest of the watches, very ordinary, but very pretty. Buying it would feel a bit like grocery shopping. 

Somebody also recommended the Tissot LeLocle Powermatic 80 to me. Any thoughts on that? 

None of these seem like an "investment" to me.   Anything with Steinhart on the dial surely cannot hold value?  A modern Seiko is good value but not an heirloom, any vintage Quartz is a liability because when they go its often the circuit board and they stop making these old circuit boards but the Grand Seiko you mention is not a quartz... There is one for a similar price on Ebay with a custom made exhibition back and full set (Including service details) it comes with the original back (which has lost its emblem from the centre) and the original crown (replaced for a new old stock crown) and it comes on a new strap with a modern Grand Seiko buckle.

I would assume the chances of a mechanical failure is slim on a simple watch like this and that worst ways you give it to an independent watchmaker who is able to fabricate parts if it is simply a cog or something.   I would say the odds are favourable.