• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good morning one and all!

I'm always on the hunt for information and opinions on one thing or another, so I figured I would be just as well signing up so I can ask questions as well as skulking around.

I started out in a jobbing jewellers straight out of school which is where I was first exposed to 'real' watches. I floated around the industry for a few years, I gathered quite the collection of name tags and a variety of meaningless titles.

I was fortunate to work for an old watchmaker for a few of those years. That is where this story really begins (like one of those Hollywood films where the sequence of events is all mixed up) I've seen inside more watches than I care to remember and I'm still pretty amazed at just how much is going on inside such a small space!

Since then I've retrained as an engineer which has given me a new found respect for the precision that goes into the most basic of movements.  I'm making use of the access to machinery that work brings and my previous years of experience with the intention of making cases, dials, buckles, maybe crowns etc... All with the bosses approval, which is nice! - I think he is just after a watch for himself! 

Sorry, I tried to keep it brief.

Very nice story.

Welcome from fellow newbie here.

That part of attempt at making your own watch is more than ecxiting to be honest. I'm in CAD business and to design or just to be involved in design process of a watch was always my dream.

Hope will see some of your incarnated ideas sometime soon.

On 13/06/2018 at 07:52, robbyrobrobster said:

Good morning one and all!

I'm always on the hunt for information and opinions on one thing or another, so I figured I would be just as well signing up so I can ask questions as well as skulking around.

I started out in a jobbing jewellers straight out of school which is where I was first exposed to 'real' watches. I floated around the industry for a few years, I gathered quite the collection of name tags and a variety of meaningless titles.

I was fortunate to work for an old watchmaker for a few of those years. That is where this story really begins (like one of those Hollywood films where the sequence of events is all mixed up) I've seen inside more watches than I care to remember and I'm still pretty amazed at just how much is going on inside such a small space!

Since then I've retrained as an engineer which has given me a new found respect for the precision that goes into the most basic of movements.  I'm making use of the access to machinery that work brings and my previous years of experience with the intention of making cases, dials, buckles, maybe crowns etc... All with the bosses approval, which is nice! - I think he is just after a watch for himself! 

Sorry, I tried to keep it brief.

Sounds like an interesting project, keep us updated and welcome aboard