• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Burty

What to do when Glycine want £300 to replace a crystal!

On 02/06/2018 at 20:16, Roger the Dodger said:

Best post of the year so (by) far! :notworthy: It's so refreshing to have a 'proper', informative post here, instructive, interesting, creative and you obviously have talent by the bucket load, and know what you are doing. I see that you are a relatively new member...this is the standard of post that we have been craving for ages...keep this up, and you will become a forum favourite, my friend. What a fantastic result and a great watch as well! :thumbsup:

Welcome, and well done!

I couldn't agree more. Great post, great job and informative too.

More please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burty,

Tefloturn can machine custom crystal gaskets, not cheap but worth it if you're stuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Only just seen this and hats off to you – superb job  :notworthy:

I'm also fascinated by the 3D printer. It's the stuff of Sci-Fi dreams, and what a brilliant way to utilise it.

As for Invicta's original quote, what a fecking joke. I replaced the crystal on my SBBN017 Tuna with a brand new AR-coated (underside) sapphire, and including the fitting and pressure test to 100m by my watch man, it came in at £50, which would have just about covered Invicta's handling charge :laugh:

I can only assume Invicta can't really be bothered to do repairs because surely no one is going to pay those crazy prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

I can only assume Invicta can't really be bothered to do repairs because surely no one is going to pay those crazy prices.

I'll bet that's exactly it. They don't want you repairing your old Invicta, they want you buying a new one. That's their business model, and a wasteful, sloppy one IMHO. Complete inverse of what a quality brand wants, eh? 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

Great post and knowing how clumsy I am, a service I may well be using In the future.

To offer a bit of balance, I had the Crystal of my Incursore III replaced by Invicta in February and it came to 142 euros all in, which included service, pressure test and tracked postage. Added to that, you got straight through to the manager of the service centre and like most Dutch people, he spoke impeccable English.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2018 at 17:51, NickD said:

Great post and knowing how clumsy I am, a service I may well be using In the future.

To offer a bit of balance, I had the Crystal of my Incursore III replaced by Invicta in February and it came to 142 euros all in, which included service, pressure test and tracked postage. Added to that, you got straight through to the manager of the service centre and like most Dutch people, he spoke impeccable English.

My watch is the same watch so I do not understand how you managed to get it serviced and the crystal replaced for that money having spoken to them myself.
If you could let me have a copy of your receipt I could get back to them and query the quote they sent me.

@bry1975 Thanks, that is handy to know, they are just up the road from me! I have made some headway with DuPont and am awaiting a sample of their 60D Hytrel filament.  My experiments with PLA under the microscope are looking good.

Hi, just seen your request, here's the invoice for the works. I wonder if the difference in price stems from my conversation with the Service Manager rather than an oppo? In fact, the price was a bit lower as the carriage was split between the two watches and I received a nice watch box to boot!

IMG_20180612_194330_HDR.jpg.dd248c05d8cb32bb48bab0d1dbb8aafe.jpg

@NickD In your original post you say 142 Euros....your bill says 248.  It does not include a Movement service but rather a Full service (small) of case and crystal and waterproofing hence new crown...still, not a bad price for the work.

I wonder why I was quoted so much for for my crystal?

Have another read, the invoice is for work on two watches, the replacement Crystal was 117.94 €, carriage 24.95 € and the service was an internal clean and lube plus pressure test not an external cosmetic tart up.

The only suggestion I can make for the variance is, I talked through the problems with the SM and then posted both watches off for inspection prior to receiving the final quotation.

At the end of the day I paid a price I was happy with, which in no way detracts from the tremendous job you did in replacing yours.

Edited by NickD
Failing eyesight.

@NickD Sorry, I didn't read it properly.  I am absolutely stunned and will be getting back to them, These prices make my service charges look expensive!

Did you get a Sapphire replacement or the original mineral with the blue AR Coating I wonder? All I can conclude it that since you have had yours done they have run out of or my emails hit the desk of someone having a bad day???

Oh well, it is done now and I am happy with the result.

Many thanks for showing me that, I appreciate it.

MB