• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Burty

What to do when Glycine want £300 to replace a crystal!

Best post of the year so (by) far! :notworthy: It's so refreshing to have a 'proper', informative post here, instructive, interesting, creative and you obviously have talent by the bucket load, and know what you are doing. I see that you are a relatively new member...this is the standard of post that we have been craving for ages...keep this up, and you will become a forum favourite, my friend. What a fantastic result and a great watch as well! :thumbsup:

Welcome, and well done!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Im impressed.................very impressed!

Well done that man...top work there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent post, and most impressive work. :thumbs_up:

An outstanding result, at a fraction of the cost. What's not to like!

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to recommend telling Glycine to suck it but this is A LOT better.

Nice job!

Oh and that watch is so freaking awesome!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NOTSHARP said:

Excellent post, and most impressive work. :thumbs_up:

An outstanding result, at a fraction of the cost. What's not to like!

Thank you!..There's a slight feeling that this could also be in 'Watchmaking and Repairs', but it's so refreshing to have an informative and interesting post here, that I'm going to leave it here for all to see. This is what watch discussion should be.

• Like 2

Yes, when you think that for £650 Omega will refurbish your banged up watch and return it to you 'like new', £300+ for a crystal seems a little rich. What is interesting about this is that the gasket is bespoke. You cannot buy a .5mm I-ring. My research tells me that the ideal 'Shore Hardness' for gaskets is 72D which means they are almost certainly made from DuPont Hytrel 7246. If I could source the Hytrel pellets I could 3D print bespoke gaskets.

What type of gasket do they use ? Is it L shaped then ? Because you can find a variety of gaskets on Cousins... Even so you have the original one which I imagine is alright.

@gimli You can't find these gaskets at Cousins or anywhere else. It is in I-Ring for a 1.5/6mm crystal. 1.25mm High X 0.5mm thick. There for the actual size of the Glycine gasket is 37.3 X 36.3.  The closest you can buy 'off the peg' is 37.3 X 36.5 which is a standard 0.4mm thickness.

When fitting a crystal you need to find a gasket that is 0.1 or 0.2mm smaller than the crystal.

If I had used the 'off the peg' gasket I would be relying on the 0.003 oversize in the crystal. It would have held...just but would probably fall out over time and it would certainly not be waterproof.

Exceptional post thank you very informative & nice to see someone with the skill and tenacity find a solution to a pricey problem. Makes me think about getting more hands on again.

@Burty That is a very impressive selection of gear you have access to. What does it normally get used for ? :)

@WRENCH Hi Wrench, after 10 years or so learning how to repair watches (in-between bringing up kids and running other businesses) I have accumulated quite a bit of kit. I had an idea that I could make watches and I invested in Sherline CNC Mill and Lathe...but I really struggled with the 3D and was running before I could walk. I sold it all and I bought Watch Balance tools and a 3D printer. As the kids have grown older I have had more time to learn 3D design (TurboCad for Mac) and I have improved my watch repair skills.  I can now service almost anything.  The kit sits in my studio and I visit it as often as I can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this, I agree with RtD that this post is very good. Informative and interesting. I’m envious of your skills too I wish I could do that kind of work. 

Cheers. 

Great post and a lovely job...

You should set up a sideline swapping mineral for sapphire crystals on all of the watches on the forum!

Nice watch, and the fact that you custom engineered your own crystal replacement makes it that much more valuable (at least to you). Well done, sir! :drinks: 

Edited by Chromejob

Really enjoyed reading this and will admit the photos helped as well . Look foreard to reading more from you in the future. 

32 minutes ago, Seikotherapy said:

Do you have a ‘before’ pic of the banged up mineral?

Looks great btw!

It's the first pic in the original post that shows the big crack across the middle of the crystal.  I missed it first time too :biggrin:

I would be happy to replace/upgrade crystals and I highly recommend the AR coating which I can get done quickly and at a great price...please get in contact!
I have also just discovered that DuPont make a Hytrel 3D printing filament with a Shore Hardness of 60D....not quite the 72D that a Swiss manufacturer recommends but  it would be worth trying and would probably mean printing gaskets a few microns thicker.

I am also thinking about making a Tampon Dial printer as I have recently completed a Silversmithing course that included an introduction to etching.

What I am finding is that all this stuff is relatively straight forward and there is more than enough information on the WWW to fill in the gaps. The problem is that the equipment is expensive witch makes tabling and experimenting difficult.

The 3D printer has opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities

1 hour ago, rhaythorne said:

It's the first pic in the original post that shows the big crack across the middle of the crystal.  I missed it first time too :biggrin:

Yep completely missed that :laugh:

What a great post! What a great result satisfying result. Just shows what can be done with the right tenacity and skill! Well done! And thanks for taking the time to photograph the process so skillfully. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@JonnyOldBoy You are absolutely right, there is a marginal difference in the height 0.2 or thereabouts, there may well be a little difference in the thickness but after polishing the old one so much I was unable to work it out.  Interestingly the new crystal was exactly the same OD with the same +0.003 and was identically finished with polished chamfers. When seated the chamfer sits level with the top of the gasket perfectly....LUCKY!

Invicta where very helpful and offered to send me the crystal for £190+P+P  but they told me that Glycine had told them that they no longer stock the gasket and do not think they will make anymore.

This has always been my experience of smaller brands, they make certain numbers, support them for a while and then thats that!

• Like 1