• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Daveyboyz

Choose a single Seiko

Realising I need a cheaper sports watch and don't have a Seiko has me thinking on this fact.

I could get a SKX009 and be done with it or get an Oris or Certina or something and a Seiko dress watch (Presage, Coctail Time or something)

Limiting the budget to below the heights of Grand Seiko and preferably nothing bigger than 42mm if you could choose one Seiko in your collection which would it be?  A photo and your sales pitch if you please.

Below £1000 but with Seiko I know £300 will probably cover it and if less all the better.   The aim is to buy the perfect representative of the brand.

BFK is my favourite......covered by 300 :)

• Like 1

The Alpinist was a slow burn for me, couple of years in fact!

IMG_3544.JPG.52d85ebb1a2063d9ac50cd4e4e32484e.JPG 

Took on holiday recently, worn on boat, train trips, along with playing golf (crazy) & dinner every evening.

Not a lot of money but one of my favourites!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

Limiting the budget to below the heights of Grand Seiko and preferably nothing bigger than 42mm if you could choose one Seiko in your collection which would it be?  A photo and your sales pitch if you please.

I haven't got any Seikos in my current collection, but I did have a BFK for a while, which was quite nice :thumbsup:

However, I did own a gorgeous Seiko Perpetual Calendar for a few years, but ended up selling it because... er... well, looking at the photos I can't even begin to imagine why the hell I let it go :mad0218:  It's not one to wear every day, it was just too heavy for that, but it's still probably one of the best looking watches I've seen in real life.  Anyway, here it is for your consideration (sorry, I don't know the model number):

DSCF1102

I can't remember the size, but it was almost certainly bigger than your required maximum of 42mm, and it weighed a ton :laughing2dw:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

best feature legibility - nobody asks me the time anymore as you can read this from across the room :thumbsup:

28181906948_b35df8559e_c.jpg

… and I can read it arms length without specs on - looks good on zulu and bracelet too ...

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 5

Seiko "Turtle" firstly because I've never owned a Seiko diver. Every time I've attempted to buy one has brought bad luck (genuinely), so I need to break the curse of the Seiko diver. I've had two via the net, both arrived seriously damaged, went to a high street store and the sales assistant dropped the watch from the top shelf of the display cabinet onto a tiled floor, and the last attempt, they destroyed the bracelet attempting to size it. What next ?

Seiko-turtle-10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well the SKX009 would be a good choice if you want that Pepsi bezel. But my personal favourite is the slightly smaller SKX013:

skx13.jpg

It the classic black bezel, black dial at 38mm. Screw down crown of course. That's not a photo of mine but I usually wear mine on distressed leather. But it looks great on the bracelet, canvas, or rubber as well. It is probably my most universal watch when it comes to strap adjustments. 

• Like 2

Its cheap and cheerful but what I miss with the SKX is the lack of hand winding and hacking

Maybe you should have a look at the SRP779, the Pepsi Turtle

• Like 1

Seiko is just extraordinary. There are nice Seiko watches, pre-owned and new, at almost every level of the market and I never get bored with seeing them. Naming one model would be impossible for me, and if I was suddenly restricted to one brand, it would probably be Seiko.:)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Seiko is just extraordinary. There are nice Seiko watches, pre-owned and new, at almost every level of the market and I never get bored with seeing them. Naming one model would be impossible for me, and if I was suddenly restricted to one brand, it would probably be Seiko.:)

I am aware of that, having sold Seikos I know how good they are but I don't want to end up like RWP buried under a sea of watches and having to sell my soul for watch batteries.   

I am determined to limit myself to a single Seiko... and though I need a cheaper diver/beater I am getting drawn to the Presage Cocktail time.   So I could always do a diver from a different brand... I am thinking maybe I should just get a box which holds a dozen watches and that way I can get a mechanical alarm too ^^ 

tY7yklv.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That is the glory of Seiko, dear Davey. You can buy lower down the market and buy a pretty good Seiko, and you can save up and buy something special and still a Seiko. :)

• Like 1

A turtle with pepsi bezel is a good choice of watch, ...if that is too big maybe any of the 200m monster range perhaps?....a tad smaller and favourites of mine

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Presage Cocktail time.   

The range of "Cocktail Time" is well worth a close look. Some good deals to be had as well.

• Like 2

For me it’s the Turdle... Everyone should have a Turdle in there collection... This is a watch I will never move on... With so many iterations of it there is one for everyone’s taste...

n4Z8aD7.jpg

Edited by Rob.B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I am aware of that, having sold Seikos I know how good they are but I don't want to end up like RWP buried under a sea of watches and having to sell my soul for watch batteries.   

I am determined to limit myself to a single Seiko... and though I need a cheaper diver/beater I am getting drawn to the Presage Cocktail time.   So I could always do a diver from a different brand... I am thinking maybe I should just get a box which holds a dozen watches and that way I can get a mechanical alarm too ^^ 

tY7yklv.jpg

I am about to get an SRPB41J1. Take a look. It is gorgeous. If you want something else try the SRPB46J1 - also gorgeous. Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Realising I need a cheaper sports watch and don't have a Seiko has me thinking on this fact.

I could get a SKX009 and be done with it...

Not sure if you've looked in our very own sales corner, but there's a nice looking SKX007J up for grabs at the moment... :whistling:

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yeah, given that my only diver in my collection has a black bezel and dial this is why a Pepsi sprung to mind... if I get another diver it has to be anything but black.