• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi all.

I was left a watch by a great uncle and have worn it for over a year now. The leather bracelet recently broke so I have decided to give it a new glass and a service/clean.

I know nothing of the watch (age etc) and it has little in the way of markings. it was one of about ten watches he left, I chose this one just because I liked it immediately. My great uncle was in his nineties and was Swiss.

I don't think it has any value but it means a lot to me.

Can anyone give a rough idea of cost and recommend a reliable person to carry out the work?

_06A0873_06A0879

That looks to be in good condition.  @simon2 should be along in a bit to talk service costs.  I'd replace the crown too for a stainless one - the gold looking one might be a replacement itself, of had the chrome plating worn off completely

It keeps good time although it took me a while to remember to wind morning and night...

He wore this watch every day that I can remember although he had acquired many watches over the years. We cleared his house and found boxes of militaria, including three pistols (all ww2), several bayonets and swords as well as medals, letters and other stuff.

That is a very lovely watch with a pretty distinct dial and hands design.

It looks in good shape so only a cleaning and relubricating of the movement will be necessary and also an acrylic crystal and crown replacement.

As scott said the crown is either a replacement or it just wore down until the plating on the surface wore off (I'd say that it might be the original one).

At first glance it looks to be a 1940s or 50s watch. I'd say it's a 1950s one more likely... or late 40s.

Simon is your man, yes, he'll fix you up! :)

12 minutes ago, gimli said:

That is a very lovely watch with a pretty distinct dial and hands design.

It looks in good shape so only a cleaning and relubricating of the movement will be necessary and also an acrylic crystal and crown replacement.

As scott said the crown is either a replacement or it just wore down until the plating on the surface wore off (I'd say that it might be the original one).

At first glance it looks to be a 1940s or 50s watch. I'd say it's a 1950s one more likely... or late 40s.

Simon is your man, yes, he'll fix you up! :)

Thanks. There were a few to choose from but I found this one so nice to look at I couldn't resist. They were all of a similar age, My Dad has most of them in a drawer... I think the crown is original and just worn - it appears to be Brass?

Brass would make sense - the plating is applied to the brass.

Have a check over the other watches for any military markings - there would be a symbol like a crows foot on the dial and/or caseback.  They are quite collectible  

Yes it's brass. Many crowns were not made out of a solid metal. Sadly...

19 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Brass would make sense - the plating is applied to the brass.

Have a check over the other watches for any military markings - there would be a symbol like a crows foot on the dial and/or caseback.  They are quite collectible  

The others are with my Dad in Switzerland. I will ask him to send a list and some pictures. I recall one was a make I'd never heard of but was told it was a maker who was bought by Breitling (I think).

1 minute ago, Cect17 said:

The others are with my Dad in Switzerland. I will ask him to send a list and some pictures. I recall one was a make I'd never heard of but was told it was a maker who was bought by Breitling (I think).

Probably a Sicura.  But Sicura bought Breitling, as they were nearly bankrupt.  There wasn't any cross over but that doesn't stop eBay sellers claiming 'Sicura by Breitling'  Absolute tosh, but adds to the sales price

Hi,all. To service, fit a new Crown, Glass and possibly a new Mainspring ( you mention that you wind it twice daily. 1 Full wind should be enough, per day) £70 plus return postage. Hope this helps. Regards Simon2.

2 hours ago, simon2 said:

Hi,all. To service, fit a new Crown, Glass and possibly a new Mainspring ( you mention that you wind it twice daily. 1 Full wind should be enough, per day) £70 plus return postage. Hope this helps. Regards Simon2.

@simon2 That sounds good. Info for postage, payment etc?

Many thanks.

Hi Simon.

Can you let me have your address and payment instructions for the Gala watch you commented on above.

I tried to contact you but received the message: simon2 cannot receive messages.

Thanks,

James.

I sent a message through your Website too,.

Thanks,

James.

2 hours ago, Cect17 said:

Hi Simon.

Can you let me have your address and payment instructions for the Gala watch you commented on above.

I tried to contact you but received the message: simon2 cannot receive messages.

Just to let you know, you need to have 50 posts under your belt before the Private Message system on here is usable mate :yes:

14 hours ago, Davey P said:

Just to let you know, you need to have 50 posts under your belt before the Private Message system on here is usable mate :yes:

:thumbsup:

Hope you are able to receive this message. My Address details are as follows:

Essex clock and Watch clinic

74 Mayesbrook Road,

Goodmayes. Essex.

IG3 9PJ

Telephone# 0208 503 8337

Regards simon.