• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RWP

Sell or not Sell.

Browsing around WIS seem to fall into two categories, those who sell and trade and those who have never sold a watch.

As someone who has never sold a watch ( but rehomed some) I just don’t like the idea of selling and those that I have in my collection have reason to be there.   In the case of the slightly more expensive watches I keep them because they are better and I do not want to to take a hit on them for nothing :)    With my cheapies I like the choice and they aren’t worth moving on.

I can see why somebody would sell to trade up but as I don’t go terribly high I’d rather just get what I want when allowed :huh:

I know at least one other member who has never sold a watch.

Which camp do you fall into.?   Inveterate trader, inveterate hoarder :whistle:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, RWP said:

I know at least one other member who has never sold a watch.

Maybe I am he  --  if not, you know of at least two.

I have never even considered selling a watch  --  and don't expect that situation to change.

Having that approach allows me to buy what I like without fretting about "future resale value"  --   and is gloriously liberating, as it means I don't have to follow the herd (or put my name on any daft "waiting lists").

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yokel said:

Maybe I am he  --  if not, you know of at least two.

I have never even considered selling a watch  --  and don't expect that situation to change.

Having that approach allows me to buy what I like without fretting about "future resale value"  --   and is gloriously liberating, as it means I don't have to follow the herd (or put my name on any daft "waiting lists").

TWO members who have never sold a watch:)

Hoarder...no!

Collector...most definitely! :biggrin:

Never sold a timepiece, or come to think of it, any other type of collectable in over 45 years. 

Rehomed (including the heir hunters :clap:), gifted a few to family members & like minded friends.

Long may it continue...

• Like 3

I've chucked a couple in the bin but never sold any - might consider it when I can't get the front door open for watches! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never sold , given a few away though. Which has just given me thought to who I will leave mine to when I croak it.  No point leaving them to my polly she is a hoarder lol.

• Like 2

I fall into the other category... Always liked watches but didn’t really get into them seriously until a few years ago... Something I think I like one day another day I decide I don’t... I guess I’m just finding my feet to what I really like... If I take a few hits along the way...Que Sera... I’m in the throws of completely overhauling my collection and only a certain number will remain. Moving myself towards quality over quantity. I’m not saying there isn’t quality in cheaper watches I’ve had numerous of them but I want a lot smaller amount of watches that I can wear all the time and not just 1 day a fortnight because I’m trying to rotate everything... I have something arriving tomorrow that to me is a pretty special watch with the history of it and everything that surrounds it... Plus I’m going to try a Black Bay on at the weekend to see if I’m going to get the GF to buy me a Tudor GMT for my 50th as they are both the same size... Ideally I would like to be at about 4-5 watches...Who knows whether this will actually happen I can only try...:laughing2dw:

• Like 2

in life I am a hoarder( that why I still have the same car after 44 years + !) BUT I will sell/ exchange /deal my way to something better than I have till I reach what I consider to be the best I can have , and if I cant sell/ buy my way there I will make it the best I can with the limited skills I have .:thumbsup:

deano

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

Sort of hoarder although saying that 30 have gone, some sold some given away some to charity shop, mainly silly early flea bay purchases when I didn't know any better. There are probably 60 I wouldn't part with and 20 others that may go soon I suppose...but I do like them and they aren't worth much, hmmmmmmm seller - horder, I must be a shoulder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a hoarder by nature, and I hate to take a hit...

That said I try to buy well enough that I don't have to take a hit if I move a watch on... and I used to buy and sell watches off my wrist all the time back in the day.

If you can sell a watch in order to replace it with a better watch I can't see the issue. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I am a hoarder by nature, and I hate to take a hit...

That said I try to buy well enough that I don't have to take a hit if I move a watch on... and I used to buy and sell watches off my wrist all the time back in the day.

If you can sell a watch in order to replace it with a better watch I can't see the issue. 

If you can manage to NOT sell and still get the next one.....

You have two nice watches  :laugh:

• Haha 1

Sell, sell, sell, that's my motto with pretty much everything I own as long as it has no sentimental value and I can turn a profit I sell it. 

This attitude is the only reason I have been able to, with my very limited means, afford the likes of my Speedmaster or other nice Omegas. If I was only buying based on my work salary I could barely afford a watch for £200 after all my monthly bills have been paid.

Luckily I always had an eye for a bargain and my sales skills are decent so whatever I collect ends up making me more money than it cost me in the first place. This is not limited to watches, I also collect old books, and all sorts of other interesting things. 

Of course this means I nearly always have to sacrifice one thing to get another, but if the second thing is worth more than the first then eventually it's possible to build up to something quite decent by trading up :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

. . . I can't see the issue. 

I don't think anyone has suggested there is one, Davey. 

It's about personal preference  --  and, I'm pretty sure we "non-sellers" are in the minority on this forum.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, yokel said:

I'm pretty sure we "non-sellers" are in the select minority on this forum.

I've amended your oversight, Sir.

Your welcome :thumbsup:

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm a little too quick to sell, and more than once I've wished I'd held on to a watch after selling it. Mind you, I would not have managed to acquire any of my Swiss watches unless I'd sold so many of my Japanese ones.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, yokel said:

I don't think anyone has suggested there is one, Davey. 

It's about personal preference  --  and, I'm pretty sure we "non-sellers" are in the minority on this forum.

I am sure RWP said he doesn't like the idea of selling... as I say if it allows you to upgrade I don't see the issue.   Not liking the idea of selling does seem to be an issue, if you simply can't be bothered or don't want to part with a watch that is a non-issue but having a dislike of the general concept does strike me as an issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

It doesn’t seem worth my while Davey.  I don’t like the idea of selling to friends, I’d rather give if they like something more than I do.  The world goes round on people buying and selling.  I suppose when I worked I lived by selling my skills such as they are.

I don’t have watches worth thousands so I can afford to keep even my better ones when I see something I want........which won’t cost thousands.

Good luck to those who like trading.....I’ve swapped a few :thumbsup:

Edited by RWP
  • Like 1

sell

SELL

SELL SELL SELL !

SELL !

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A trader / seller that’s slowly turning into a hoarder I think :partytime:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWP said:

It doesn’t seem worth my while Davey.  I don’t like the idea of selling to friends, I’d rather give if they like something more than I do.  The world goes round on people buying and selling.  I suppose when I worked I lived by selling my skills such as they are.

I don’t have watches worth thousands so I can afford to keep even my better ones when I see something I want........which won’t cost thousands.

Good luck to those who like trading.....I’ve swapped a few :thumbsup:

I can understand that RWP, and who am I to tell you what you should or shouldn't do?   We all have to collect in the manner we feel suits us.  I don't personally buy watches with the intention of flipping them, but occasionally we don't get on with a watch or decide we like something else better.   When it's a small purchase or we are affluent we can keep such mistakes but I am cognoscente of wanting to keep my numbers down and selling may suit me on occasion even if it goes against the grain of my character.   In other collection fields I rarely sell anything, but given I used to sell watches for a living I am a bit more likely to consider the option. 

• Like 1