UK Watch Forum banner

SOTC - where to go from here

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Chromejob 
#1 ·
After adding my JLC to the collection it is as follows...

2018-05-23_09-14-35

On the left hand side are

1.AP Royal Oak

2.VC Overseas chrono

3. Rolex Submariner

4. Omega Speedmaster MOTM

5. Central is an Ebel Sportswave quartz

6. 18ct Cartier Pasha

7. 1921 Longines manual

8. JLC master moon in 18ct W/G

9. 1924 Rolex Extra Prima manual 9ct

I'd say that its a pretty rounded collection, I could live with it as is...there is nothing I am desperate for now and any changes are unlikely in the near future... but it is nice to have a plan.

Three of these watches are options to get out of the door.

1. Ebel. This watch gets worn frequently, I like it but it has a couple of issues. Firstly for a watch called a sportwave it isn't a swimmer, when I moved my seamaster on to get my Speedy I needed a watch to take up the baton when I sauna and swim. Presently I don't have any watch that I feel comforably wearing for such an activity. The second issue is that the Ebel is a hard seller, its value is unlikely to rise like many of my others.

2. Longines 1921. Its a fab watch, ticks loudly and keeps time extraordinarily well. It was made before shockproof was a thing and so this doesn't get much wrist time.

3. Rolex 1924. This one is pretty rare, maybe that tends me towards over estimating its value. Two issues, again not shockproof and also I already have a Rolex and I didn't want to repeat brands. If this goes though it needs replacing with a watch that has corners... to fix the brand issue it would ideally be a Patek Gondolo.

As I mention Patek really one of those should be included...but obviously these are not the easiest things to acquire.

Anyway, not sure what the next move should be...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
The sub could deal with it but the risk vs reward seems a bad deal... risk getting water or steam in a watch of that value? Even to pay out for it to be resealed by Rolex and gaurunteed waterproof is a bit of a stretch... the seamaster I used to do the battery and reseal myself and just risk it, but that was risking much less value if it leaked... Also the sub is a relatively heavy watch that I wouldn't want rattling up and down my wrist if I swim half a mile. The Seiko suggestion is a good one, I fancy a pepsi bezel or something and feel Seiko should really be represented in my collection somehow and keep coming back to the Ebel not being waterproof, it seems that this is the one that has to leave even if I do currently wear it most out of all my watches.

#4 ·
After adding my JLC to the collection it is as follows...

2018-05-23_09-14-35

3. Rolex Submariner . . . .

. . . . I need a watch to take up the baton when I sauna and swim. Presently I don't have any watch that I feel comforably wearing for such an activity.
Yes, I also thought there was a bit of delicious irony there :biggrin:

More seriously, as you say, you have a well balanced collection featuring some lovely pieces. I particularly like the JLC and the Overseas.

However, your lovely array is seriously focussed on la Suisse Romande. I believe fine timepieces are also manufactured in Schaffhausen (and, heaven forefend, Germany and Japan).

I think a product from Zenith, Moser or IWC could compliment your collection, as, more radically, could a Lange, a Grossmann or a GO :thumbsup:

Reactions: Daveyboyz
#5 ·
You beat me to my reply Dave I was likewise going to ask about the sub or even whats the WR of the AP?

That is quite a strange one about the Ebel not being waterproof even for 100m especially considering the design of the watch. Regarding service costs there really is the problem with watch collecting. Any watch I purchase I have to factor in it will need a service unless its a new watch (even that is not always a guarantee) or the previous owner has papers from its service history anything else is like kicking the can further down the street, you are not solving the problem you are just storing it up for later on and even thinking of selling it on in that condition runs the risk of a buyer sending back a watch that is knackered. Watches are like any mechanical thing they need looking after.

Just to give a few examples, a mate of mine has had a sub for a good few years wears it for work, everywhere really. Gets knocked battered and at one point looked worse for wear. He sent it back to Rolex for a full service and Rolex doing what they do best sent it back looking like new. Cost him over a grand but he pretty much had a brand new watch back. Another friend has a seamaster he likewise uses daily and equally looks worse for wear.

Personally, I have an Orient I use as my daily watch (One reason I wouldn't use the above is I need a watch that is easily readable which neither of the above area and also accurate which is why I also keep a G Shock at work) I just swap between the two. G Shock can go just about anywhere and often goes with me abroad as a duel time, alarm clock and I don't have to worry about where to keep it because it can just go with the rest of the luggage while I wear a nicer watch on my wrist.

I don't know how much you are going to get really for the old Rolex I am not aware of these older ones really fetching much and likewise the Longines which I am sure nice enough the case and size are negatives I don't see it pulling a great amount. The Cartier while nice I fear some of their designs look dated far too quickly they always seem to struggle to sell.

Personally, I would consider selling the Longines, Rolex, Cartier and Ebel and put the money into servicing the others. Get a G Shock for the swimming stuff (I really wouldn't want to swim wearing a watch on a bracelet anyway because of the weight and would much prefer a cheap, light plastic one that I don't have to worry about it falling off, snapping spring bars, knocks, bumps etc....

#6 ·
Seiko Solar divers are great for swimming ... mine is still on the Seiko rubber band it came on. G-Shock is another good shout , but I would add that those Casio rubberised straps would need to be cleaned with a bit more attention if swimming in those , as salt and chlorine tend to react with those ( whereas not the Seiko divers etc etc )
I just throw em under the tap and wash them with soap, job done.

#7 ·
The AP is waterproof and is one of the models with a screwdown crown (they later removed that feature) it spent much time in the Carribbean sea but again since it is no longer serviced by AP (they charge silly money) I have retired it from water duty. Likewise the VC is waterproof but too heavy for swimming.

The Ebel has screw on back and is rated 100m but without screwdown crown I don't trust it.

Selling watches to pay for servicing is a peculiar suggestion to me... spending money on servicing is dead money really and given how little I have to pay for servicing (£50 per watch) I don't blame my watchmaker for not gaurunteeing the waterproof. In any case the Cartier is going nowhere, as dress watches go there aren't many prettier in my opinion.

As for swimming in bracelets this is the norm for me as I wouldn't want to swim in leather and havent got a rubber strapped watch...

Regarding the Germans, I have softened my stance to Glaschutte, mainly because of Yokels and considered the Sport Evo instead of the sub... Lange likewise is an aspiration but the trouble with those names mentioned is they generally drop money like stones and thats something I can't abide.

#10 ·
The trouble with those names mentioned is they generally drop money like stones and thats something I can't abide.
Not such a bad thing if you buy used :)

#13 ·
VC, Cartier, JLC likewise drop like a stone as do most watches tastes also change.

Any watch pre owned or grey market is a safer bet.
They were all bought pre-owned but I think the models I picked have good potential. The JLC is very rare as I know from trying to buy one and when I started looking they were typically £4000 for a steel and £6000 for a gold one. 2 years later see many asking for over £5000 for the steel and nearer £8000 for the gold ones. So I think owing to that and my getting a good price I have a fighting chance of getting out of that if I ever need to.

Of the VC range I also think the Chrono Overseas is a better bet than most... it aims at the same market as the Daytona (though the Daytona doesn't have the date) and since they are usually on an upwards trend it makes the Overseas seem like good value. Given how expensive these are new (and they have risen a long way since I first looked at one back in 2002) and how much was saved getting it pre-owned it also seems like a watch that is likely to remain stable rather than be a big winner or loser in my opinion.

The Cartier perhaps not, the brand has been struggling and been mismanaged in my opinion but then maybe with the advances they have made they might make a come back one day. The Cartier was certainly bought with my heart though and though I try to avoid doing my plums on any watch sometimes other factors over ride, like one of my very first quality watches was a pasha in stainless steel and since then I have always loved this watch.

Also true that tastes change, certainly at the extreme ends like particularly bug or small watches... but then my big expense watches are not extreme...they tend to fall in the middle of the size spectrum and are not covered in diamonds etc. I would like to think they are fairly timeless classics.

#15 ·
It's a great collection. It's a very classic collection. Is there anything slightly left field you can buy pre-owned that still has potential to increase in value? Either from a mainstream brand, say Panerai, or something from a smaller operation? As you say, you are in no hurry, so plenty of time to cast your net far and wide.

#16 ·
get the sub's seals sorted and get the bracelet properly sized ! I find it odd that someone wouldn't want to swim wearing a sub ; thats what it is meant to be able to do isn't it ? also why go you need a watch in the sauna - use the timer ...

personally i'd wear the sub as my mon fri 9 to 5 and the JLC for evening and weekends , keeping the longines for a bit of variety all you are then missing is a g5610 1er as a beater and regulator. flog the rest :laugh: but then what do I know :wacko:

#17 ·
I always go pre owned these days. The residuals are not overly concerning for me as much as they once were having the knowledge now makes for canny buying. I have lost £££'s over the years with quantity over quality.

Lately I have culled massively and now aim to have a smaller but considered collection. I still buy what appeals to me rather than the masses but I like them to have some horological quality either buy design or mechanics.

#18 ·
I completely understand the rationale above, but it really is a shame owning a Submariner and still looking for a watch to wear swimming. Defeats the point a little doesn't it? I guess that's the reality of today with the service prices we are being charged...

If you're really worried about the Sub I would go with a Seiko diver - I just think they are pure class and divers are one tool watch that Seiko are up there with anyone on, both in terms of the specs and the heritage of the brand.

Luckily I don't share in this problem because I have a Seamaster that's sturdy and waterproof and as far as my budget goes that is not a cheap watch, but I never had any problems with it until that broken crown debacle earlier this year (it is finally fixed now).

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think I need to out the Ebel and get a Seiko diver next, I want something durable and inexpensive for sports/swimming etc. Seamaster blue wave dial is the other choice that springs to mind but then I am repeating brand again.

The Sub is a 1990 and is so minty it's really a dinner watch, the bracelet is perfect and it still has its stickers on the back, really I am not too precious about such things but it just doesn't make logical sense.

After that I guess chop the vintage Rolex in against a Patek...but thats a long term plan.

Breguet is definately something that should be in the collection especially if I ever buy a pocket watch.

Reactions: JonnyOldBoy
#21 ·
I think I need to out the Ebel and get a Seiko diver next, I want something durable and inexpensive for sports/swimming etc.
I don't know what kind of style you like, but in the inexpensive bracket I went for the SKX013, I bought it new for around £200 and it's the perfect back up whenever my Seamaster is out of commission for whatever reason (plus at 38mm it's not one of the massive ones Seiko put out). And they look fabulous on the bracelet or a leather strap.

But I think you mentioned you might prefer something with a Pepsi bezel, which would definitely add a new dimension to your collection. Seiko is such a great brand to browse through because there are just so many options when it comes to good quality divers.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
On the left hand side are

1.AP Royal Oak

2.VC Overseas chrono

3. Rolex Submariner

4. Omega Speedmaster MOTM

5. Central is an Ebel Sportswave quartz

6. 18ct Cartier Pasha

7. 1921 Longines manual

8. JLC master moon in 18ct W/G

9. 1924 Rolex Extra Prima manual 9ct

Anyway, not sure what the next move should be...
You've got some classics in there, several actually. But no GMT type watches. Maybe the Tudor BB GMT that just came out? Or a vintage GMT-Master (1970s perhaps)? So many people took off from Rolex's original 6542, there's a wide variety of styles and brands to select from.

If you need a good reliable watch to swim in (and take in the sauna? really??), just get a Seiko pro diver. Cheap as chips and dependable. I wore mine in pools, hot tubs, steam rooms, saunas, flying, diving to 187', the works. Never had a problem.

I side with others, get the Rolex checked, new seals, and that would be a fine dunking watch. But if it's older, I can understand your hesitance. You can pick up a Seiko for less than servicing that Rolex!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.