• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Well, it's here already, less than a week of ordering my first automatic I ordered another one.  :yes:  Another Seiko 5 with a canvas strap this time.  It is available in four different colours: Black, navy, khaki and cream.  I fell in love when I saw the black.  I love the 5 minute sections, with the smaller watch dial in the middle.  Lume around the markers, hour, minute and second hand.  I only had one watch with a canvas strap, the famous £9.99 Burei so I decided I wanted another, so when I saw the Seiko 5 it was a no brainer!  Love the sweeping second hand with the matchstick style look (red tip).  The strap is very comfortable and I really can't tell I'm wearing it.  Again, with the amazing see through back.  On listening to it right up to my ear it sounds different to my other Seiko 5, much quieter.  The case looks less likely to scratch as it is brushed.  All in all I'm really happy again, and I do apologise in advance as I have a feeling I will be raving about autos for a while, even though I swore I would never buy one!  Thanks for reading!  :king:

yjTwUiT.jpgM4yZHcP.jpgkzpwVvO.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Well that's Seiko, Vostok next. 

Manual wind Amphibian, tempting ?

russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tan

36mm. :laughing2dw:

Sorry, 33 :(

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 5

Great watches for the money , I have the Blue one

Screenshot_20180517-201552_2.png

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, themysterybidder said:

Well, it's here already, less than a week of ordering my first automatic I ordered another one.  :yes:  Another Seiko 5 with a canvas strap this time.  It is available in four different colours: Black, navy, khaki and cream.  I fell in love when I saw the black.  I love the 5 minute sections, with the smaller watch dial in the middle.  Lume around the markers, hour, minute and second hand.  I only had one watch with a canvas strap, the famous £9.99 Burei so I decided I wanted another, so when I saw the Seiko 5 it was a no brainer!  Love the sweeping second hand with the matchstick style look (red tip).  The strap is very comfortable and I really can't tell I'm wearing it.  Again, with the amazing see through back.  On listening to it right up to my ear it sounds different to my other Seiko 5, much quieter.  The case looks less likely to scratch as it is brushed.  All in all I'm really happy again, and I do apologise in advance as I have a feeling I will be raving about autos for a while, even though I swore I would never buy one!  Thanks for reading!  :king:

yjTwUiT.jpgM4yZHcP.jpgkzpwVvO.jpg

Lovely.

Classic design. Including the specification put out by the German Air Ministry for Luftwaffe observers' watches (version (Baumuster) B) in 1941.

7FTHphD.jpg

I have version A from Stowa, and love it.

Congratulations :yes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear, there's no saving some people..... :whistling:  But even I must admit, it's a great looking watch, nice one :thumbs_up: (would still be better with a quartz movement inside though...........)

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Oh dear, there's no saving some people..... :whistling:  But even I must admit, it's a great looking watch, nice one :thumbs_up: (would still be better with a quartz movement inside though...........)

Must get better specs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Davey P said:

(would still be better with a quartz movement inside though...........)

I wonder if that could be done ! I wonder if there is a like for like quartz replacement for a 7S26 movement ie dial pins set correctly.  I may look into this as I would quite like to do it . 

• Like 3

I've looked at this one myself, how Seiko do them for the money, with retailer profit, I just don't know but it's good that they can. 

• Like 2

If they were a little larger, say 40-42 mm then I would jump at one but too small for my fat  muscled wrists

• Haha 2

Well Cassie it looks well on you:)   I have an identical 5. but it's not as elegant on me :notworthy:

You enjoy.....and great lume.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, themysterybidder said:

:clap: FINALLY, I can stop holding my breath! :yahoo:  That model is great, and now you can discover the joy of swapping out nylon straps for a different look, for summer outdoor wear (just rinse a strap in warm water, maybe a little glycerine or Castile soap, towel and air dry overnight), etc. Mickie500 is the Phoenix[1] seller on FleaBay. AliasRichmond/AliasMarlow (Jim Seal) sells some "Bond" straps[2] made at an old mill in the UK that still uses old equipment in addition to their methods. Some sellers offer tight weave "seatbelt" straps which are gentler on the skin. Stay away from generic, "cheap" nylon straps sellers on eBay, you get what you pay for. Also, if you're interested in woven Perlon, Eulit is considered by many to be the premier maker (also the original) of their variety of strap.[3]

Oh, depending upon the spring bars that the watch came with, you might want stronger "fat boy" spring bars. There are some called "single shoulder" (I think :huh:) that you can take off with a fingernail, but are less likely to be worked out by the rubbing of the strap. "Shoulderless" bars have to be removed with drilled-through lugs, unless you don't mind cutting them out with wire cutters when done -- but shoulderless are the least likely to come out on you

Is the lug width 20mm? Very common size, easy to purchase for. Countycomm.com has the last of their MI-6 straps in 18mm on sale. 

[1] 20140814-0720_phoenixitaliannato-blue_cl

[2]

5SJkwFjl.jpg

[3]

20160925-1421_keywest_eulitkristallblue_

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jsud2002 said:

I wonder if that could be done ! I wonder if there is a like for like quartz replacement for a 7S26 movement ie dial pins set correctly.  I may look into this as I would quite like to do it . 

I did this once with a freebie HMT Kohinoor manual winder, just to see if it was possible, and it worked fine (quite surprising, given my limited tinkering skills... :laughing2dw:).  I just transplanted a quartz module complete with hands from a scrap watch, and it fitted perfectly.  It's the one on the left in this "rogues gallery" of modified watches:

2013-09-30 09.35.53

:thumbsup:

• Like 2