UK Watch Forum banner

Hello everyone

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  yokel 
#1 ·
Hi

ive dropped in on this forum for a number of years but never joined for fear of getting from properly addicted to watches and watch buying; and then having to explain to the other half where all my money had gone!

one of the first questions I'd welcome your advice on is a website based in Europe which appears to be selling Tisell watches and proclaims itself to be the European distributor of Tisell. Anyone heard of this? Is it a legit site?

#7 ·
I think Fred hits the nail on the head... there is always the urge as a collector to go out and buy, buy, buy. The fact is ots easy to end up with lots of unremarkable items which don't have much value to the owner or anyone else (when I say value I don't mean monetary)

If you go slow, are selective and buy carefully and well you will end up with a smaller but more appreciated collection, less wastage and more knowledge.

Some people just love aquisition but the real fun is the research and the hunt and the satisfaction of knowing you did well.

Reactions: Laughing gravy
#8 ·
@Redfrost Welcome! Make sure you tell us which type of watches you like whether it be quartz, auto, vintage, etc. Look forward to seeing your contribution in the topics! :king:

#9 ·
@Redfrost

Welcome to the forum.

I bought a sub-esque diver from the site recently. From what I'd read, the quality was spot on for what you pay.

Can't say i'm not impressed with mine. Watchhead looks and feels extremely well made. The ceramic insert is lovely, and the dial a deep black and applied indecies are great. It really does look nice. The bracelet is a bit cheap feeling and the glidelock is ok, but seems sturdy enough.

The Miyota/ Citizen movement is basic, but it is keeping to around -2 seconds per day :)

The comms from the site were great - updated the shipping the frequently, and even contacted me after they saw it was delivered to make sure I was happy.

For the price I paid (on sale too), and for the quality, i'm happy. I wanted a beater and to test out the sub style before possibly making the jump for the real deal.

Yes, I am fully aware of the fake / hommage / copy-not-cop debate ...ad nauseam...to each their own.
Hope this helps anyone looking to get one.

#11 ·
Hi @Redfrost

Any watch which is so derivative of the style of something more prestigious as to be virtually indistinguishable at first glance is going to have trouble getting much love on this forum. However, Tisell watches are branded "Tisell", and are therefore not fakes. They are simply "homages" -- basically watches produced using someone else's design ideas.

The good thing about our hobby is that everyone's taste is different, and the only person your watches have to please is you -- so, buy what you like.

However, as you have come to the forum and asked questions, you will get advice. My experience has been that the advice given will be both well-meaning and informative -- and therefore worth considering.

My tuppence-worth would be to wait and research for a few weeks. Have a look at the many brands offering their own design identity and reputation (particularly perhaps, at the sort of price you are looking at, Seiko, Orient, Tissot and Bulova). And then, if you decide you really do want a Tisell, you will at least have bought it from an informed position.

But -- your wrist, your money, your happiness :yes:

Reactions: WRENCH
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.