• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hey 

could anyone give some information on my god fathers pocket watch “ he died 32 years ago “

its a H white & co cheapside London 

has a crows foot / broad arrow “ I think “ symbol on the back with no 3593F on dial / back and side 

it’s silver with a gold winder 

It works as my grandad has wound it up every day for last 32 years 

many thanks 

Welcome to the forum. It would help if you were able to post some pictures of this watch. It would also help if you could describe the watch further i.e. full hunter, half hunter or open face.
Any date history would also be of help, that is to say, help us to help you.

• Like 1

Have you Googled the company name and address? This will usually bring up a goodly bit of information, and then a Google on "Hallmarks" should do the same for any marks on the case.

Good Luck in your info quest! :yes:

The firm of H. White & Co., was certainly trading at 63 Cheapside, London, in the later 19th century, with Harry White being listed as a watch and chronometer maker. In 1899, following an Extraordinary General Meeting, it was agreed that the business should close, with Harry White acting as liquidator. However, it would seem that the firm was still trading after that date, probably up until the First World War. Records exist for 1913 in which H. White was one of a number of companies supplying chronometers for time trials at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich - prior to a choice being made by the Board of Admiralty for a provider of chronometers. Also, there is a silver wristwatch marked for H. White & Co., Cheapside, bearing hallmarks for 1914 for a Clerkenwell importer of watch cases. The movement in this wristwatch is by A. Michel, Fabrique d'ebauches, Grenchen, and the white enamel dial not only states that H. White & Co. are makers to the Admiralty, but also bears the title, "THE ADMIRALTY LEVER."

In 1918, Grace's Guide lists an H. White & Co., in Hornsey Road, Holloway, but this firm was in the telegraphic apparatus business making electrical instruments and telegraph apparatus for domestic and export customers and including the War office.

I am not sure exactly what degree of design and manufacturing went on at the premises of H. White & Co. while it was in business. It does seem that the firm was essentially retailing watches (perhaps also assembling the main components) and aiming their marketing towards Naval interests. I suspect that your watch, dear Goody2, may have been intended for a Naval officer or crew member, and it certainly sounds worthy of a picture on this thread. :)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Afternoon

thanks for the reply’s how do I get a pic on here 

On 14/05/2018 at 10:32, Goody2 said:

There’s a sticky or “pinned” post in the Watch Discussion section on how to post pics. Browse around the forums, you’ll find it. Generally, Postimags.org, Imgur, Flickr are fine places to host pics for posting to forums.