• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
stats007

Fake Watches on Gumtree

1 hour ago, stats007 said:

I know fake watches are rife but why do Gumtree blatantly allow their sale?

What is more disturbing is that this seller is trying a scam by selling fake Rolexes as genuine:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mens-watches/men-s-rolex-watches-for-sale-daytona-submariner-/1296548192

Gumtree is full of this cr@p, and always has been. Took over from those weekly sales newspapers, usual nonsense, unwanted gift etc etc. Gumtree  obviously don't care.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 1

You mean the genuineOmega and Rolex for 250 the pair on Gumtree were fake ?:sadwalk:

• Haha 4

Should we have a link to an advertisement for fake watches on this forum, especially as we do not discuss them :taz:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Selling a counterfeit watch in the UK is a criminal offence , so anyone can report that seller to the police so long as there is evidence.

Good luck getting the Police to care. ActionFraud is their online fraud service but it's pitiful.

1 minute ago, Thomasr said:

whats most concerning is gumtree is owned by eBay....

eBay have their own cross to bear but at least they remove fake watches most of the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stats007 said:

Good luck getting the Police to care. ActionFraud is their online fraud service but it's pitiful.

eBay have their own cross to bear but at least they remove fake watches most of the time.

I've reported a fake Tag Heuer to eBay a number of times but nothing seems to happen. Fortunately it never sells but it keeps getting relisted and popping up on one of my saved searches causing my blood to boil every time I see it :taz:

I have bought obvious fakes and then not paid - reporting to ebay that I haven't paid for a fake. Seems to work as you get to leave negative feedback for these scammers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stats007 said:

I know fake watches are rife but why do Gumtree blatantly allow their sale?

What is more disturbing is that this seller is trying a scam by selling fake Rolexes as genuine:

Why? Who knows. Who cares. :Snore:  Generally we don’t discuss counterfeits on this forum, as per the rules and policies, which I presume you read when you registered. :wicked:

Edited by Chromejob
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, stats007 said:

The link isn't for a fake watch advert - it's for a genuine Rolex that is fake and a scam.

I said the link was to an ad for fake watches and if the Rolex is a fake then that is true - not sure what point you are trying to make. :huh:

1 hour ago, Chromejob said:

Why? Who knows. Who cares. :Snore:  Generally we don’t discuss counterfeits on this forum, as per the rules and policies, which I presume you read when you registered. :wicked:

Yes - but as I've already said this isn't a discussion about fake watches - how they're made or how bad/good they are. It's a discussion about being scammed and Gumtree not caring.  There's a clear difference chum.

32 minutes ago, richy176 said:

I said the link was to an ad for fake watches and if the Rolex is a fake then that is true - not sure what point you are trying to make. :huh:

The point is it's not a blatant advert for a fake watch of which there are countless. It's a scam advert for something being sold as genuine. Can you not see the difference?

18 minutes ago, stats007 said:

The point is it's not a blatant advert for a fake watch of which there are countless. It's a scam advert for something being sold as genuine. Can you not see the difference?

Of course I can see the difference but in terms of the forum rules (see below) I would still question why the link needed to be included.

Posts about fake or counterfeit watches are not permitted, the only exception, at the Admin team's discretion, is to ask if a potential purchase is genuine. The Forum takes a strong stance on fakes and counterfeits and Members are asked to remember that counterfeit watches support and finance organised crime and often involve child and exploited labour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Without the link it's just a general discussion - this has a specific instance for people to avoid should they be looking to buy one of the models in question.

I don't see what the fuss is tbh :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that it's illegal to buy/sell fakes/replicas in France and that you can really get in trouble for this. I wonder if this means that all the local advert websites in france are, mostly, fake free. Would like to heard about this. Would be very nice to have no fakes in sight...

Edited by gimli

3 hours ago, richy176 said:

Members are asked to remember that counterfeit watches support and finance organised crime.

They don't just "support" organised crime - they are organised crime. Takes a fair sized organisation to produce, distribute and sell these things - especially the higher quality fakes that sell for close to real money.

1 hour ago, gimli said:

I read somewhere that it's illegal to buy/sell fakes/replicas in France and that you can really get in trouble for this. I wonder if this means that all the local advert websites in france are, mostly, fake free. Would like to heard about this. Would be very nice to have no fakes in sight...

Fakes are illegal pretty much everywhere - just a matter of how efficiently it is policed.

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Not in the UK. It is not illegal to own , or to buy ( knowingly or unknowingly ) a fake. Its perfectly legal.

Illegal to produce, import or sell them though - even second hand.

E-Bay is no better plenty of Scammers had 2 refunds already, shame as so many are genuine. One in particular is under investigation but still sell on there take money, never respond so many complaints about them. Been reported to Trading Standards too.

my son brought a fake Rolex from France when he was there, but only paid a Tenner

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

yep , my point is that in France ,,, its actually illegal to own or buy. It should be here.....

Guess there's always the question of whether the owner is a willing buyer or has been duped into buying a fake by an unscrupulous seller - easier to assume the end owner is the victim of the crime rather than the criminal, a good proportion of fakes would be sold to people who just don't know any better. Also if you face prosecution for buying, who's going to report the sellers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gimli said:

There are fewer fakes on EBay France Gimli although the odd one pops up for silly cheap money with no claims made just a rider saying purchaser to make up his own mind, they invariably disappear fairly quickly. The customs and the Police are fairly vigilant and there is usually swift action taken. I know of a guy who came back from Thailand and was asked to show his receipt for the watch he was wearing, he couldn't unsurprisingly but the customs found receipts for the 4 other fakes in his case. They took them all and I believe the fine was in excess of €6000 although this part is just rumour. The Police patrol car boot sales here (vide greniers, means empty loft) and have been known to take action very swiftly if anything fake is found. I believe there is more action in the cities than we see out in the sticks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, niveketak said:

There are fewer fakes on EBay France Gimli although the odd one pops up for silly cheap money with no claims made just a rider saying purchaser to make up his own mind, they invariably disappear fairly quickly. The customs and the Police are fairly vigilant and there is usually swift action taken. I know of a guy who came back from Thailand and was asked to show his receipt for the watch he was wearing, he couldn't unsurprisingly but the customs found receipts for the 4 other fakes in his case. They took them all and I believe the fine was in excess of €6000 although this part is just rumour. The Police patrol car boot sales here (vide greniers, means empty loft) and have been known to take action very swiftly if anything fake is found. I believe there is more action in the cities than we see out in the sticks.

Very nice. It should be like that everywhere. Fakes might be illegal more or less everywhere but you rarely see people get fined for them... Tons of fakes being sold on our local adverts as well. I wonder if they'd get taken down if you report them...

39 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I get your point , but the law is not used that way in France.... Unlike the French usually, they actually make the law work....

Always an impressive achievement:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stats007 said:

It's a discussion about being scammed and Gumtree not caring

Did you report it to Gumtree pointing out exactly how to tell that these are not genuine Rolex watches. If the information was also copied in to the local Police and Trading Standards then Gumtree might take it seriously.

Multiple times - they don't care. I have said it will be sent to Trading Standards next but the advert is still there so probably time to get them involved.