• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
martinzx

A Moonphase has landed ...

Around a year ago I started thinking about adding a moonphase to my collection. Last July I wrote the post below asking for your input and suggestions.

I love the JLC, Omega and the Zenith’s offerings sadly they are out of my budget.
During my search and research, which I think, is the best part of our hobby. Living abroad, I have learned all about delayed gratification, usually watches take much longer to arrive here and often I have them set to a UK address to avoid the taxes and pilfering. (Outbound Postage is perfect) but incoming I have lost three over the last 8 years.  
All that aside I pulled the trigger on a few quarts Moonphase watches, to help scratch the itch... :yes:
A Citizen
IMG_3157.jpg

A Seiko

20180411_153100.jpg

A Maurice Lacroix

ML-MP.jpg

But I knew these were just not my goal even though I do enjoy them tremendously. The benefit of a quartz Moonphase is very evident that you are not continually resetting the watch each time you wear it. But I had already decided the watch I wanted, but they are not easy to find in the colour and bracelet combination I required. To add insult to injury I missed out on the very model on the darkside at a price I was willing to pay. Slowly slowly catch a monkey I waited patiently… I even had a wanted ad here for several months. Until it came up for sale on the darkside again… And I pulled the trigger as soon as I saw it…

Ball Trainmaster Moonphase, the tritium gas tubes the beguiling blue dial, bracelet and desk bell crown are perfect for me. I do believe it originally belonged to a member of our very parish. It arrived in Blighty yesterday, so I only has the sellers pics and a few online pics for now. The blue dial bracelet and the automatic calibre is everything I wanted, I am truly very happy!! I cant wait to get my hands on it... :) 

QceU7hk.jpg

Ball-Moonphase.jpg

uJcxWBs.jpg

yrQBhnA.jpg

9FBZ1yhh.jpg

A review here: 

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/ball-trainmaster-moon-phase-watch-review/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just lovely!

As another who has been chasing a good moon-phase (and also gratified very recently indeed via the "dark side") I can understand the fascination.

It's a gorgeous piece  --  I'm sure it will give much pleasure when you get your hands on it.

:yes:

Edited by yokel
  • Thanks 1

T'was mine when new, I bought it from Iguanasell in Jan '16. 

Fantastic piece in every way, the illuminated moon is a complete stunner! Great watch, enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, yokel said:

Just lovely!

As another who has been chasing a good moon-phase (and also gratified very recently indeed via the "dark side") I can understand the fascination.

It's a gorgeous piece  --  I'm sure it will give much pleasure when you get your hands on it.

:yes:

Many thanks I also noticed your beautiful Zenith! Any chance of a write up and some more pictures?

Thanks Martin :) 

• Thanks 1

Alll crackers Martin..........nothing to choose between them .  Enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, futuristfan said:

A very nice catch Martin.

Many thanks Dean :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Filterlab said:

T'was mine when new, I bought it from Iguanasell in Jan '16. 

Fantastic piece in every way, the illuminated moon is a complete stunner! Great watch, enjoy it!

Indeed I knew it was yours originally, thanks :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Seikotherapy said:

Gorgeous. Well done!

Thank you :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, RWP said:

Alll crackers Martin..........nothing to choose between them .  Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Cheers Roger :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice one, Martin. Looks very nice love that dial and the lume on the ball range is superb. 

Kept looking at the one on the dark side ,good catch yokel and a decent price.

• Thanks 2

Nice look, gorgeous brand!! Ball always amazes me on their permanently changing catalogue and reasonable price tags....

• Thanks 1

That is nice. Loving the lume on the moon and the fact the dial isn't fussy like a lot of moon phase dials seem to be. Looks clean and crisp. Enjoy :thumbs_up:

• Thanks 1

You already have a great collection Martin but that certainly adds a certain some thing to it, very impressive :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I must say that is an absolute beauty, Martin.:thumbs_up:

• Thanks 1

That Ball is superb, Martin. I keep looking at moonphase watches, but only the Seiko and Citizen offerings and they seem to have too many gold accents for my liking. I must widen my search to include a Ball...as mentioned above, the illuminated moon is stunning and different.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for all the positive comments, I greatly appreciate them! 

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry I am so late on this thread and had I seen it earlier, I would have immediately responded in positive vein. That Ball moonphase watch is a real gem - the designer has shifted it just outside the more regular classic style without going too far. Gorgeous, and I absolutely love those elegant hands.:)

• Thanks 1

A stunning looking watch not to complicated dial.

• Thanks 1

Moonphase is a complex and difficult field.  So many are so ugly.  That's a beauty. 

• Thanks 1

Got to be honest - the quartz ones do nowt for me, but that Ball is really nice.  I was tempted by a Ball a while ago, but had largely forgotten about that... this could be expensive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1