• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
AVO

AVO's SOTC, April 2018

It’s the nature of these posts, some things remain and others come along, still others go to adorn someone else’s collection.  So much of mine will seem familiar to long term residents, but I have tried to organise it this time along the lines of mini-collections. 

Firstly, let’s have a look at the Christopher Ward box, which includes my latest acquisition (the yellow one!); I do seem to like their quartz chronographs, don’t I?

YgZ0c5T.jpg

MMXV FLE; C3 Mk1; C70 DBR1; C70 IT Ascari COSC; C3 Mk3

Next up is the holiday box, or as I call it the swimming watches. Divers and surfers, Makos and Animals, nice and colourful. 

hAUdT7H.jpg

A vintage octet next.

01wZoEV.jpg

Smiths Astral 1965; Eterna Kon-Tiki 20 early 70s; Omega 286 1961; Marvin 1917; Enicar Ocean Pearl 1960s; Longines 1966; Avia 1957; Leonidas 1950s

Now for three that belonged to my mother. They all marked special events. The Avia I will tell you about in a minute. The 1976 gold Rotary in the centre was given to her by my father for their 20th wedding anniversary. The rose gold plated Rotary on the right was my 80th birthday present to her. 

ZFwrNqU.jpg

The Avia is my 'birthday' watch. My father gave it to her on the day I was born. Next to it is the 1957 gold Avia I bought last year for my birth year watch.

FQuJqlw.jpg 

The Pocket Rockets.  There is a Smiths somewhere, but it has been out on loan as a stage prop! 

hRaZhkK.jpg

WW1 era Lip; Waltham 1908 Hunter, Dennison Sun case; 1883 English fusée lever

And finally you will know all about these two. Bought over the last couple of years to commemorate my uncle and my mother. 

B9xYdOh.jpg

Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours on a wet Bank Holiday. Thanks for looking.

• Like 18

lets see if I am first to say fantastic collection, I am not into vintage but can appreciate the time pieces, lovely you have your mothers/fathers watches I have nothing from my mum but dad still with us, love the c ward collection and you know I like the last two :biggrin:, and no better way to read such as this on a melting snow/ raining bank holiday

Edited by deano1956
  • Thanks 1

That is a lovely looking collection. I especially like the fact that some of the pieces mean so much to you. 

• Thanks 1

Some lovely pieces in the collection ,Steve . Seems to be an empty cushion in the holiday box any plans to fill it?:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

For me your vintage box, speedy and tank are the stars of the show.  The others leave me a bit cold but what I have to respect is the good amount of variety you have.

Excellent collection.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mcb2007 said:

Some lovely pieces in the collection ,Steve . Seems to be an empty cushion in the holiday box any plans to fill it?:thumbsup:

Possibly, Rob. Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT not out of the question...

2018-06-steinhart-ocean-one-39-gmt-pepsi

• Like 2

Epitome of good taste and lovely watches :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A fantastic and diverse collection of watches of different ages and styles. :thumbsup:

The special watches belonging to your family are obviously in safe hands and it’s great that their links to the people and events are all being kept safe for the future. :yes:

• Thanks 1

It's a lovely collection, in every respect, covers all bases very well.

But I could never be a fan of the Steinhart and when you're lying on the sunbed with the watch exposed to the World, I hope you can handle the looks and then enquiring 'is that a rollie?' question.

I was at a wedding in Pattaya the week before last and the groom is a watch fan and from a wealthy family. He owns a Daytona, so when I looked at his wrist and I noticed something else, I couldn't help but move in for a closer look - it was a Patek Nautilus - we locked eyes and he laughed and said he tells everyone it's a fake!

• Thanks 1

@Caller.  I reckon I could handle it.  Most people I meet on holiday would not know a Rolex GMT from a pork sausage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, AVO said:

@Caller.  I reckon I could handle it.  Most people I meet on holiday would not know a Rolex GMT from a pork sausage. 

My Pork Sausage has Parnis on the clasp :huh:

• Haha 1

Great collection the cartier is a favourite in my eyes , and the c70,s are lovely too great collection well done buddy 

Edited by Iceblue
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RWP said:

My Pork Sausage has Parnis on the clasp :huh:

Don’t mistake your Parnis for a pork sausage and go sticking a fork in it. It will make your eyes water. 

@scottswatches Did you spot the Avia I got from you? Love that watch!

• Haha 1

A very nice collection. Really echoes a lot of my taste in watches. That 1961 Omega being my birth year watch is one I would love to own.

I love the family connection and have a watch that belonged to my grandad and father. Plus one or two from a dear family friend which I inherited.

So I love the stories behind your family watches.

• Thanks 1

I did, and you helped me date your birth day watch that your mother got too.

What model is that Cartier.  Probably too modern for me, but I do like it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I did, and you helped me date your birth day watch that your mother got too.

What model is that Cartier.  Probably too modern for me, but I do like it.

Tank Solo XL, Scott. Auto version released in 2012, I believe. I bought mine in February 2016.

• Thanks 1