• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Shades of Brexit Politics

I have been reading a great biography of Antoine de Saint-Exupery by Stacy Schiff and I came across the following witty one-liner from Saint-Ex, at a time in the later 1930s when French politics, and the French air ministry in particular, was in a mess.

"Trying to make sense of a minister's new policy with Werth, St-Exupery stopped his friend in midthought: "Careful, I think we are anthropormorphizing."

:laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I remember reading and studying “vol de nuit “ in 1966 about Saint Exupery long distance flights over South America I seem to remember.. looking down from his cockpit and seeing house lights twinkingling like stars below him ,complete reversal of night time flying without today’s auto courses.

Passed as well:clap:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that lovely response, dear bridgemen. "Vol de Nuit" is a wonderful book and I am currently studying Antoine de Saint Exupery and his work in some detail. I don't know if you have read "Wind, Sand and Stars," his major semi-autobiographical novel, or "Le Petit Prince," his visionary and important children's book, but these are works of philosophical insight and great beauty. As to the whole aspect of Saint-Exupery, the pilot, it is fascinating that in this country, where suspicion of anything "French" still exists, the pioneering nature of French aviation from the early years of the twentieth century up until about 1930 is barely mentioned. This pioneering spirit includes the birth of international airmail, the manufacture of some great aircraft, and the pursuit of flight records which flights the French termed "raids."

• Like 2

There was something on radio 4 about ASE a while ago, about him nearly dying in the African dessert, it was very compelling.  I think I once had a wine with aa ASE connection once too! "Vol de Nuit" sounds like a great read, must check it out.

• Thanks 1

Yes, dear Thimo, the episode in question whereby Saint Ex crashed and was stranded in the desert was a life-changing event and affected him as a writer for the rest of his life. "Vol de Nuit" is a minor masterpiece, and I suppose his two other exceptional contributions to literature are "Wind, Sand and Stars" and "Le Petit Prince.":)

• Like 2

I am searching online now, "Vol de Nuit", "Wind, Sand, and Stars" beautiful titles. The wine was bloody nice too!

• Like 1

I  can't remember which book I read, or both. One is the source for the great quote about engineering perfection, "not when nothing more can be added, but...."  He should be required reading in school. Oh wait, in my prep school, he was

Interestingly, Saint Ex spent some time as an aircraft mechanic, before he was actually allowed to pilot one of the air post company's planes. Apparently, he was pretty good with engines and technical matters generally - quite inventive in fact.

5 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Interestingly, Saint Ex spent some time as an aircraft mechanic, before he was actually allowed to pilot one of the air post company's planes. Apparently, he was pretty good with engines and technical matters generally - quite inventive in fact.

So is Saint Ex supposed to be a metaphor for UK? My head is starting to hurt, put me out of my misery please :biggrin:

My dear Wrenny, I do apologise for answering the question. My original quip was not really meant to be symbolic with regard to Saint Ex himself. I suppose I was just thinking of our relationship with France and the awful mess that was being made by ministers generally with regard to exactly what the policy should be towards Europe during and after we leave the EU. This sort of political turmoil was evident in France during the pre-War period with regard to its neighbours, and the witty remark made by Saint Ex to his friend, Werth, could have have been made about British politics over the whole "Brexit" period. I myself am still very sad that we shall be leaving the EU - I so wanted Britain to be there with the other leading European nations, and for me, France is one of them - we tend to undervalue all things French in this country - still - and have always had a sort of national animosity towards France. Please understand that my little thread-head was not meant to be taken too seriously; it was a sort of "aside" to lighten the heavy atmosphere surrounding the Brexit shenanigans. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Lol, OK we have boiled it down. I don't see Europe and the European Union as mutually exclusive. I voted brexit but always intended shortlisting European countries as retirement destinations because they have a lot to offer, outside of politics. France, Spain and Portugal are all on the list. 

Incidentally my profile picture was taken in Sarlat. 

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2018 at 18:23, wrenny1969 said:

Lol, OK we have boiled it down. I don't see Europe and the European Union as mutually exclusive. I voted brexit but always intended shortlisting European countries as retirement destinations because they have a lot to offer, outside of politics. France, Spain and Portugal are all on the list. 

Incidentally my profile picture was taken in Sarlat. 

I meant I do see them as mutually exclusive. My mistake now corrected :laugh: