• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
vigman

Vintage Gold Rolex Pocket Watch

Hi

Our charity was given this Rolex pocket watch in a Dennison 9ct gold case. It has a 1920s inscription. (It came with a 30gm watch chain - not pictured.)

I know I can't ask the "V" question but can anyone tell me if this is particularly rare or sought after please?

Also what is the best way to sell such a watch? Auction....watch dealer....eBay? Finally is it best to sell the watch and chain together or separately please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqRCbMAcIEJG8z1I2

TIA

Vigman

• Like 2

I personally would sell it through an auction house that regularly sell watches and is on the internet , I know you will have to pay more commission than if you sell on Ebay , but you don't get the risk of some chancer ripping you off by pulling a fast one .(item not as described , doesn't work etc etc )

Also the auction house will do the write up, photography, advertising and posting if the buyer is overseas or not within collecting distance , again at no risk to yourself .

You could sell to a dealer but I would expect a higher price from auction , as the dealer is obviously and quite rightly going to want his mark up , whereas at auction it will more likely go to a collector .

That would be my advise , good luck , it is a lovely piece and I would expect it to do very well :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks, Andyclient. I still have a 10% trade account (even though I am a retired antique dealer) with a large auction house locally so will probably go through them. Obviously I would like to purchase many items that come through the charity I help but feel obliged to let things take their course rather than possibly ending up being accused of not paying enough.

What about selling the chain separately from the watch? I know I would buy a gold Albert but not a watch and there may be others vice versa?

Vigman

Edited by vigman
Addition

12 minutes ago, vigman said:

Thanks, Andyclient. I still have a 10% trade account (even though I am a retired antique dealer) with a large auction house locally so will probably go through them. Obviously I would like to purchase many items that come through the charity I help but feel obliged to let things take their course rather than possibly ending up being accused of not paying enough.

What about selling the chain separately from the watch? I know I would buy a gold Albert but not a watch and there may be others vice versa?

Vigman

Yes I agree selling the chain separately would be a good idea , you know the value of 30gm of gold easily enough so you could sell that to a dealer/jeweller at scrap value or there abouts and without any loss on commission 

I agree with our learned colleague above.  Scrap the chain (it is only worth gold weight anyway) and auction the watch.  I picked up a Rolex pocket watch yesterday by chance, so they are not too rare (mines a ww2 issued navy watch in gunmetal case)

• Like 1

That's nice indeed. Wish you well for the Charity - - :thumbsup: