Rodina Nomos Homage

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Coldwarkid

Manual Wind

• 76 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12
  • Interests:Watches, wine, running and family

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi. Does anybody own one of these watches which seem to be so popular in WIS circles? They are available on ebay for about £85 ( not sure how to do the link thing). Any pros and cons I should look out for?

#2 OFFLINE   mach 0.0013137

Atomic Clock

• 28,668 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don`t know anything about them but they look interesting, as for links - they are not allowed on this forum :nono: :wink2:

#3 OFFLINE   Coldwarkid

Manual Wind

• 76 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postmach 0.0013137, on 27 May 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I don`t know anything about them but they look interesting, as for links - they are not allowed on this forum :nono: :wink2:
Ok, sorry.

#4 OFFLINE   phantom splashback

Quartz

• 34 posts
  • Joined 10-March 13

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I have the black dial and recently bought the blue dial as well. Love the black dial, but less impressed with the blue. For £85 they're hard to beat and look great with work attire. Much rather have the Nomos, but until I can find the £2k this will more than do.

#5 Guest_robert75_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

There is a thread about these watches on the Christopher Ward Forum. From what I gathered from the discussion they were cheap and cheerful watches and I guess to the general public they wouldn't notice the difference but the quality between the two cant be compared. A compromise between this and a Nomos may be a Stowa.

#6 OFFLINE   Coldwarkid

Manual Wind

• 76 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postrobert75, on 27 May 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

There is a thread about these watches on the Christopher Ward Forum. From what I gathered from the discussion they were cheap and cheerful watches and I guess to the general public they wouldn't notice the difference but the quality between the two cant be compared. A compromise between this and a Nomos may be a Stowa.
I was thinking of saving for the Stowa, but the wait time last time I looked was about 5 months and I'm a very impatient person. I might get in touch with them and ask what the procedure is as regards paying. If I can pay a deposit and the balance when it's ready for despatch then that would be the same amount of time, roughly, it would take me to save anyway. However, if I have to save the whole amount and then wait another 5 months I might pass and buy the cheapy.

#7 OFFLINE   Coldwarkid

Manual Wind

• 76 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Just been on Stowa's website and it now has this message. "As of now our popular model Antea 390 will be equipped with a new Suisse automatic movement A 10 of the company Soprod".
Has any of you guy's heard of this? I'm not familiar.

#8 OFFLINE   it'salivejim

Chronograph

• 1,820 posts
  • Joined 19-January 13

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Soprod? Never heard of it, but if it's in a Stowa it will be absolutely fine :)

As for links, you are allowed to post links as long as it doesn't lead to a site that sells watches. So you could have posted a link to a review of the Rodina.

Personally, I think they look good and Seagull movements are used in a lot of watches now with reliable results :thumbup:

#9 OFFLINE   frogspawn

Chronograph

• 1,207 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08
  • Interests:Would you believe watches?
    Old cars and attempting to keep them on the road
    Historic Rallying.
    Bathrooms now paid for so its back to cars and watches..

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Nowt wrong with Soprod, I have a Georg Jensen with one of their modified movements -from their web site-Leader in the production of Swiss-made mechanical and quartz movements, Soprod is part of the industrial watchmaking

group Festina Group Switzerland. Thanks to its vertically integrated structure, it controls and manufactures all components required for its entire production.The mechanical division is located in the Jura, in the heart of a region ticking the rhythm of the watchmaking industry for centuries, whilst the quartz department is in the Canton of Valais, renowned for its technological excellence. Soprod is independent and guarantees at all times a high quality and regular supply to its customers, providing innovative and
flexible solutions to fulfill all their requirements and wishes.

Edited by frogspawn, 27 May 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#10 Guest_robert75_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostColdwarkid, on 27 May 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just been on Stowa's website and it now has this message. "As of now our popular model Antea 390 will be equipped with a new Suisse automatic movement A 10 of the company Soprod".

A lot of companies such as Stowa are looking elsewhere due to ETA no longer supplying none Swatch co companies. The final decision of course is yours and while I am sure there will be nothing wrong with the Seagull movement its how well built, design the watch is you have to also consider. The movement isn't everything.

#11 OFFLINE   it'salivejim

Chronograph

• 1,820 posts
  • Joined 19-January 13

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postrobert75, on 27 May 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostColdwarkid, on 27 May 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

The final decision of course is yours and while I am sure there will be nothing wrong with the Seagull movement its how well built, design the watch is you have to also consider. The movement isn't everything.

But for £80 or so you'd never expect a Sinn would you :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users