Viewing Member ProfilesWhat is the score with not being allowed to view other member profiles?

15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Damo8604

Quartz

• 19 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi all,

Is there a restriction as a newbie regarding viewing member profiles? Do I have to wait until I have reached the hallowed 50 post mark?

Regards
Damian

#2 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03
  • Interests:Watches, Rugby, Industrial History

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Probably

#3 OFFLINE   joeytheghost

Moon Phase

• 941 posts
  • Joined 26-May 11
  • Interests:My girls, Cars , Watches , Football

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yes. The magic 50!!

#4 OFFLINE   jasonm

Equation of Time

• 23,306 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
  • Interests:Anything with a pulse....

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, we had people spamming members by leaving comments on their profiles.....

#5 OFFLINE   Damo8604

Quartz

• 19 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

oh, that sucks and ruins it for genuine watch enthusiasts who may well be too impatient to tough it out to the magic 50, in which case they will miss out on all the years of experience that some of the members have. Also having to wait till the 50 post mark means I could miss out on some cracking deals

#6 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

It does not take that long to reach 50 posts, even without spamming.
I missed a watch I would have liked to own, as I had not reached the magic 50 , but hopefully it will make an appearance again some time.

Edited by trackrat, 13 April 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Damo8604

Quartz

• 19 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

it's actually ok, i managed to track down someone who was selling a watch on this forum as he said he had it listed on ebay but the winner didn't pay. I looked at completed listings and he happened to include his tel no, it wasn't' the original watch I was after but this one is lovely, I'm expecting delivery on Monday, never the less, this I feel is just the very start of my watch collecting obsession I feel coming on, I'm not sure that I will risk buying on ebay as half of them seem to be fakes, it's actually highly unlikely that a member of this forum will try and flogging crap. They seem to be one big family.

#8 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,769 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostDamo8604, on 13 April 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

it's actually ok, i managed to track down someone who was selling a watch on this forum as he said he had it listed on ebay but the winner didn't pay. I looked at completed listings and he happened to include his tel no, it wasn't' the original watch I was after but this one is lovely, I'm expecting delivery on Monday, never the less, this I feel is just the very start of my watch collecting obsession I feel coming on, I'm not sure that I will risk buying on ebay as half of them seem to be fakes, it's actually highly unlikely that a member of this forum will try and flogging crap. They seem to be one big family.

You'll be posting pictures in the near future then?

Welcome aboard, by the way. :wink1:

#9 OFFLINE   Damo8604

Quartz

• 19 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Stan, I'll defo be posting my photos on here come Monday morning!

#10 OFFLINE   Mr Blond

Manual Wind

• 65 posts
  • Joined 19-January 12

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

I wont take long to reach 50 however what is the point of having someone posting rubbish just to get to the 50 mark. I've been a lurker for a while now. I love watches but I haven't felt the need to create any posts. I realise that if everyone did this then the forum would be pointless. However I do feel that 50 is a bit high.

#11 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostMr Blond, on 15 April 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

I wont take long to reach 50 however what is the point of having someone posting rubbish just to get to the 50 mark. I've been a lurker for a while now. I love watches but I haven't felt the need to create any posts. I realise that if everyone did this then the forum would be pointless. However I do feel that 50 is a bit high.

The whole point of a forum is that people contribute to it, if they didn't people like you who don't contribute would have nothing to look at!!

50 isn't too high and if people post rubbish in an attempt to get to 50 quickly they have posts deleted and their post count adjusted down

#12 OFFLINE   Mr Blond

Manual Wind

• 65 posts
  • Joined 19-January 12

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostJoT, on 15 April 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

The whole point of a forum is that people contribute to it, if they didn't people like you who don't contribute would have nothing to look at!!

50 isn't too high and if people post rubbish in an attempt to get to 50 quickly they have posts deleted and their post count adjusted down

Hence the reason why I said :
"I realise that if everyone did this then the forum would be pointless"

People who need 50 posts are generally posting things that people aren't that interested in to get their post count up, you must be blind if you can't see that. All that will happen is that people will get there 50 posts and stop posting.

#13 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostMr Blond, on 15 April 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

View PostJoT, on 15 April 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Hence the reason why I said :
"I realise that if everyone did this then the forum would be pointless"

People who need 50 posts are generally posting things that people aren't that interested in to get their post count up, you must be blind if you can't see that. All that will happen is that people will get there 50 posts and stop posting.

Dear dear you are tetchy that we have disturbed your lurking!

Look we have been at this a long time, over the years we have found the challenge is to get members to engage and often find when they do they continue. If as it seems likely you reach 50 posts and stop so be it but there will be others who wont stop.

The 50 posts is also there to stop opportunists registering to buy and sell, this isn't a free selling forum and the owner isn't minded to subsidise people whose sole intention is to buy and sell

#14 OFFLINE   bsa

Moon Phase

• 697 posts
  • Joined 23-December 10
  • Interests:Motorcycles, cars and now watches

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Any post mentioning 50 should not be counted in the 50.

#15 OFFLINE   tixntox

Minute Repeater

• 3,928 posts
  • Joined 17-July 09
  • Interests:Anything technological

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postbsa, on 15 April 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Any post mentioning 50 should not be counted in the 50.

That's you back to 631 then! :D

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users