Time For A Trim!

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roger the Dodger

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,764 posts
  • Joined 05-October 09
  • Interests:My wife & sons, Angling, Horticulture, Entomology, Steam Engines, mechanical wrist watches.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

I can't remember who it was that asked me about growing Pampas grass last year (or the year before) but now is the time to cut them down ready for spring. There are a couple of big ones here on the estate and I use a long reach hedge trimmer to do the job. Be careful when collecting up the leaves, as they are like razors and will cut your hands in a flash if you don't wear gloves.
The tool for the job.
Posted Image

Two Pampas grasses ready for cutting...

Posted Image
Posted Image

....and twenty minutes later....

Posted Image
Posted Image

This will encourage the new shoots to grow ready for next Autumn's display of plumes....there's nothing like a neatly trimmed bush! :P

#2 OFFLINE   William_Wilson

Perpetual Calendar

• 8,763 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07
  • Interests:Watches - Photography - Internet filth - Other stuff

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostRoger the Dodger, on 12 March 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

....there's nothing like a neatly trimmed bush! :P
As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I was expecting it to head in this direction. :lol:

Later,
William

#3 OFFLINE   MarkF

Perpetual Calendar

• Member*
  • 9,710 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I liked them in the first pic and didn't know what they were called, why did you cut them? Do they grow forever or something?

#4 OFFLINE   tall_tim

Minute Repeater

• 3,741 posts
  • Joined 29-July 09
  • Interests:Rugby - sadly now only watching, cinema, East Africa, mountaineering and running.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

I can't remember who it was that asked me about growing Pampas grass last year (or the year before) but now is the time to cut them down ready for spring. There are a couple of big ones here on the estate and I use a long reach hedge trimmer to do the job. Be careful when collecting up the leaves, as they are like razors and will cut your hands in a flash if you don't wear gloves.
The tool for the job.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

This will encourage the new shoots to grow ready for next Autumn's display of plumes....there's nothing like a neatly trimmed bush! :P

You know what Pampas Grass are a sign of don't you???

#5 OFFLINE   Tony1951

Automatic

• 208 posts
  • Joined 23-December 11

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Swingers.

We have one.

Maybe I need to talk to the wife about why she planted it and what's going on when I'm out.

#6 OFFLINE   Roger the Dodger

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,764 posts
  • Joined 05-October 09
  • Interests:My wife & sons, Angling, Horticulture, Entomology, Steam Engines, mechanical wrist watches.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostTony1951, on 13 March 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Swingers.

We have one.

Maybe I need to talk to the wife about why she planted it and what's going on when I'm out.

Yep...apparently, back in the 60's, planting a Pampas grass on your front lawn was a sign you were up for a bit of 'swinging'...don't know if it's true or just an urban myth.

#7 OFFLINE   tall_tim

Minute Repeater

• 3,741 posts
  • Joined 29-July 09
  • Interests:Rugby - sadly now only watching, cinema, East Africa, mountaineering and running.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Must admit, we have 2 as well.

I saw a better way of 'cutting' these back, a few years ago. Set fire to them. More fun and encourages bushier growth still, as that's what would happen to them in their natural environment. Not got the balls to do it myself though!

#8 OFFLINE   Roger the Dodger

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,764 posts
  • Joined 05-October 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostMarkF, on 13 March 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

I liked them in the first pic and didn't know what they were called, why did you cut them? Do they grow forever or something?
They need cutting back every year, Mark, or they look very untidy...in fact they look pretty grim in the 'before' pics...there's a lot of dead leaves, and the plumes are very tatty. They look their best in late summer/early autumn when the new plumes have just emerged. Years ago, folk used to set fire to them to clear away all the dead material, but I can't do that here, or I'd set fire to the rest of the shrubs too and get the sack! The cutting back also helps to keep them in bounds...left unchecked they grow into massive clumps that need a digger to remove if necessary. These two will soon sprout up again with new, fresh leaves. I'll post a pic or two in about a month, and you'll see what I mean. :thumbsup:

Edit: Tim got in there with the fire as I was writing! :yes:

Edited by Roger the Dodger, 13 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Roger the Dodger

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,764 posts
  • Joined 05-October 09

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

The tool for the job.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostRoger the Dodger, on 13 March 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

View PostMarkF, on 13 March 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

They need cutting back every year, Mark, or they look very untidy...in fact they look pretty grim in the 'before' pics...there's a lot of dead leaves, and the plumes are very tatty. They look their best in late summer/early autumn when the new plumes have just emerged. Years ago, folk used to set fire to them to clear away all the dead material, but I can't do that here, or I'd set fire to the rest of the shrubs too and get the sack! The cutting back also helps to keep them in bounds...left unchecked they grow into massive clumps that need a digger to remove if necessary. These two will soon sprout up again with new, fresh leaves. I'll post a pic or two in about a month, and you'll see what I mean. :thumbsup:

Edit: Tim got in there with the fire as I was writing! :yes:

Just an update on this post...I know I said I'd put pics up after a month or so...well that's turned into nearly 8 months now, but here are the same Pampas grasses just coming into plume. I said they'd look good again didn't I? Trust me ....I'm a gardener! :tongue2:
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users