Insuring A Salvage Car?

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevkojak

Minute Repeater

• 4,040 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

My sister in law has just bought a scrapper of an old Mazda for her first car, trouble is it's been an insurance write-off.
She seems to think that the insurance company have told her that a car (rather than a driver) carries a 'no claims' style bonus, and once it's been claimed on is uninsurable.
Obviously that's a crock of chit and I think she's got the wrong end of the stick, but how does she get the car insured now?
Does it have to be re-registered if it's been a right off or something?

#2 ONLINE   Bruce

Automatic

• 363 posts
  • Joined 02-September 09
  • Interests:watches,scale models,watches,cars,watches,travel,watches and watches

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

you may need an engineers report to prove the car has been repaired properly and is road worthy, this is separate from an mot, this used to be the case in the past not sure now though, been out the motor trade for 10 years now, hope this helps

#3 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 849 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Is this of any help to you.

http://www.ehow.com/...-write-off.html

#4 OFFLINE   kevkojak

Minute Repeater

• 4,040 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

That helps a bit, I'm still unsure of the procedure needed to register the car and get it insured - sounds like insurers won't touch it regardless.
This is her first car as well, only passed her test 6 months ago or something. I think she's on drugs buying a salvage car as a first runabout!
I imagine the low price blinded her to the fact that it's essentially a fugly paperweight with wheels.

#5 OFFLINE   Raptor

Chronograph

• 1,135 posts
  • Joined 01-May 10
  • Interests:A growing love of watches and my Subaru Impreza Turbo

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

To be honest I think she is gonna struggle to find a insurer
who will insure a first time driver on a write-off.

What category write-off was it, as this can have a huge
impact on what can be done with the car.
  • Category A: A vehicle that should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
  • Category B: A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
  • Category C: An extensively damaged vehicle that the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
  • Category D: A damaged vehicle that the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
  • Category F: A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

Sell it and try again methinks.

Edited by Raptor, 09 March 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   BondandBigM

Tourbillon

• 10,865 posts
  • Joined 04-April 07

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

It can be done, a guy here at work bough a salvage Golf Gti and put it back on the road. It depends on the category of write off and after repair might need an inspection then it has to go to a VOSA test station for mot. Some companies will insure them but I think its a bit more difficult than it was a few years ago. Not sure of the specifics but it can be done.

It might be worth contacting them directly and asking what needs to be done.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/

#7 ONLINE   Who. Me?

Chronograph

• 1,815 posts
  • Joined 12-January 07

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

An ex of mine crashed an MG Metro that she had at the time.

Insurance company wrote it off, but she knew the the local garage owner, so she bought it back from the insurance company at scrap value and the garage owner used salvage parts to put it back on the road.

It wasn't cosmetically great, but it kept her mobile (she lived in rural Devon at the time and was pretty skint).

The only caveat was that the insurance company said she would get nothing if it was crashed again, regardless of fault (because it had already been written off and the payment made).

One of our contractors at work is in a similar situation with one of his Vauxhall Vivaro vans. Insurance company won't repair it, but the bodyshop who are storing it reckon it's easily repairable. They'll sort it for him if he does the legwork to get the parts (slavage or 'reproduction' parts).

I'm pretty certain that exceptions to that occur if the car is high-value/rare and you can get an agreed valuation on the repaired car.

It doesn't take much damage for an insurance company to write off a car nowerdays. Access to scrap parts and cheap labour means it's possible to put a car back on the road.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users