Watch Auction? Pre-Owned Swiss Watches?Looking for an auction that sells watches....

Omega Swiss

13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   morrislacroix

• 4 posts
  • Joined 19-February 12

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi, I am looking for a watch auction or market, or even a general auction that might have pre-owned Swiss watches.

I am based in Manchester but don't mind travelling, within reason ;)

Hope someone here can help, with any info or leads.

Many thanks,

Morris

#2 OFFLINE   hotmog

Chronograph

• 1,457 posts
  • Joined 04-February 06
  • Interests:Snooker, bowls, home brewing, collecting antique breweriana - particularly Victorian beer pump handles, and watches!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Fellows hold fortnightly secondhand watch auctions. The next one is on 8th March. :)

http://www.fellows.c...-watch-auctions

#3 OFFLINE   morrislacroix

• 4 posts
  • Joined 19-February 12

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Posthotmog, on 25 February 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Fellows hold fortnightly secondhand watch auctions. The next one is on 8th March. :)

http://www.fellows.c...-watch-auctions

Thanks for that - I know about them was looking for other!

#4 OFFLINE   Mechanical Alarm

Minute Repeater

• 2,544 posts
  • Joined 18-October 10
  • Interests:Mechanical (Alarm) Watches, Flyfishing, Collecting Flyfishing equipment - rods, reels, creels, etc. Old Flyfishing books, Guns, Knives, Fine Audio equipment, Old baseball cards. I tell the wife I like old stuff and she gets offended...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Oh yeah... now yer getting picky.

#5 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

there ya go , plenty there :P

#6 OFFLINE   PhilipK

Automatic

• 100 posts
  • Joined 23-September 11
  • Interests:Fast cars, anything that tells the time, technology, cats, chocolate ...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Not seen The Saleroom before, so did a search on "Rolex".

Among the results on the first page were "Faux Rolex Stainless Steel Bracelet", "Collection Of 4 Replica Watches, 2 Rolex, 1 Breitling, 1 Pierre Cardin. As Found.", "An immitation [sic] Rolex gentleman`s oyster perpetual Daytona chronograph", "Replica Gold Gents Rolex Datyona [sic]", etc, etc

What surprised me what that the actual auctions seem to be in reputable (?) bricks and mortar auction houses.

#7 OFFLINE   Rotundus

Perpetual Calendar

• 5,462 posts
  • Joined 07-May 12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

the usual caveats for those not familiar with auctions -

don't forget the buyers fees and the VAT. also if you dont attend in person you will have to pay for packing and shipping.
also the guide prices tend to be set a bit low on anything decent to attract interest.
authentication and statements of condition are another area to be wary of.
lots of fakes and lots of crap.

otherwise fill yer boots. :tongue2:

attend a couple before buying anything. if it looks like a bargain it probably isn't. you have been warned.

#8 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostPhilipK, on 26 February 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

Not seen The Saleroom before, so did a search on "Rolex".

Among the results on the first page were "Faux Rolex Stainless Steel Bracelet", "Collection Of 4 Replica Watches, 2 Rolex, 1 Breitling, 1 Pierre Cardin. As Found.", "An immitation [sic] Rolex gentleman`s oyster perpetual Daytona chronograph", "Replica Gold Gents Rolex Datyona [sic]", etc, etc

What surprised me what that the actual auctions seem to be in reputable (?) bricks and mortar auction houses.

a lot of auction houses do sell replicas , some state the fact others expect you to know yourself whether it is or not , auction houses also sell on behalf of pawnbrokers , the pawnbrokers set there own reserves (sometimes the pawnbrokers believe them to be real and try to sell as such , hence the silly prices on some items (i guess the fakes are so good he pawnbrokers get ripped off sometimes aswell :P)
some auction houses state that they do not believe the item to be real and say so in the description , i attend fellows on a regular basis and they generally say when they think its a dud (will have high estimate (the pawnbroker thinks its real) , but fellows say that they do not believe this item to be original).

#9 OFFLINE   PhilipK

Automatic

• 100 posts
  • Joined 23-September 11
  • Interests:Fast cars, anything that tells the time, technology, cats, chocolate ...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postpugster, on 26 February 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

a lot of auction houses do sell replicas
Wow - that really surprises me. Surely there's a legality issue (breach of Trade Mark) in selling fake/replica watches that include a registered logo? (Then again, presumably the more reputable auction houses will have taken legal advice before doing so?)

People are always very critical (and rightly so, in my opinion) of eBay/Gumtree for not doing more to police the sale of fakes/replicas; hence my surprise at traditional auction houses selling them.

#10 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

as i said , some auction houses say they are replicas/fakes and some expect you to know , i guess from a legel point of view they are all classed as 'used' items , same for the pawnbrokers lots ( they are usually high priced so the pawn brokers believe them to be real regardless or whether the auction house or customer does) , all auction houses have more or less the same T&C's (you get what you pay for, its upto you to decide whther you want it or not ) :)

#11 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

this is from fellows T&C , you get the idea :)

Subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries, any representation or statement by Fellows in any catalogue as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and prospective buyers must satisfy themselves as to all such matters. Neither Fellows or its employees or agents nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, express, implied or statutory are hereby excluded.

#12 OFFLINE   morrislacroix

• 4 posts
  • Joined 19-February 12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postpugster, on 26 February 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

this is from fellows T&C , you get the idea :)

Subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries, any representation or statement by Fellows in any catalogue as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and prospective buyers must satisfy themselves as to all such matters. Neither Fellows or its employees or agents nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, express, implied or statutory are hereby excluded.

That is actually quite shocking! But thanks for opening our eyes!! One would think that a reputable auction house like Fellows - the topic of authenticity wouldn't even cross your mind....but then again they are just covering their backs...I think we would find more shocks if you delved into other 'big' companies T&C's!!

#13 OFFLINE   morrislacroix

• 4 posts
  • Joined 19-February 12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I would have thought that 'box & papers' should cover you in these situations...

#14 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

fellows is one of the better auction houses i frequent , dont think its 'shocking' , basicially they are being honest and saying 'we have experts but they are sometimes wrong, its therefore upto you to decide , we wont be held responsible if you make a bad choice'

...theres alot of auction houses out there that dont label fakes/replicas or whatever you want to call them :)

*box and papers means nothing , both the auction houses and fleabay reg sell boxes etc, its pretty simple to marry them up on the non wis.

Edited by pugster, 26 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users