Omega Experts Sought,,,,, Help!Movement confusion and consern.

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jammo

Quartz

• 37 posts
  • Joined 21-December 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Hi All,
as in my previous thread I am looking at buying an Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph, I really like them and will be my first 'classic' Omega - it will have to be second hand.

However, not knowing a lot about them I have spent a few days researching them across the net and I have a 'consern'. The ones I have seen so far all have a common thread of being fitted with calibre 3313 co-axial movements - something that until recently wouldn't have made me think anything.

BUT - it appears there is some real distain across the net highlighting reliability issues with this calibre and substantial costs to overcome 'issues'.....

This is a substantial investment for me, a mere beginer and I would not like to be hit with big bills once I buy one. Surely a company like Omega wouldn't let out a pup - would they.

Or am I flapping about nothing? Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jammo.

#2 OFFLINE   Watch-nut

Automatic

• 278 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

firstly i do think a company like Omega would let out a pup, based on personal expeience of their sevice centres and customer care, the attention to detail can be somewhat lacking in my experience, that said the 3313 calibre is a good movement and although there have been a few negatives on some forums and message boards they are such a small % of the total volume of these units sold that i don't think it's a major issue.

The fact is that in house service costs for mechanical chronographs are going to be high, but that is true of any brand and in house service centres.

The issue for me lies less with the movement but the lottery you face when getting an issue sorted at a service centre regardless of movement calibre. As an example there have been some issues with the crown and case tubes on some Seamaster Pro's (failing quite quickly), again in real terms they are a very very small % of the overall volume produced but the costs of putting it right if your out of the 2 year warranty is high, also i don't believe the crown is covered under service warranties anyway which is wrong. (although i might be mistaken as to warranty coverage of the crown)

I know of more than one watch that has had to go back to them within weeks because the crown arrangement failed again having just been replaced at service

All that said it would not put me off owning a cared for pe-owned version of any omega but buy new...................no, i don't believe they represent good value for money any more with the price hikes on new models.

#3 OFFLINE   gaz64

Minute Repeater

• 4,196 posts
  • Joined 05-May 09
  • Interests:Omega`s... vintage divers and omega vintage divers

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Early models did have reported problems but these should have been resolved.

Mitadoc even has one for sale here I think

#4 OFFLINE   jasonm

Equation of Time

• 23,303 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
  • Interests:Anything with a pulse....

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Doing research on the net is always going to highlight more problems than the other sort.... No one really starts a internet topic to say ''Ive had my PO 18 months now and have no issues and nothing else to say about it''...

But, if your uncomfortable with what you read then move on, plenty of other watches out there...
Look at Zenith for example , some gorgeous chronos in their range.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users