A Bit Less Colour To The 3133S...

62 replies to this topic

#46 OFFLINE   louiswu

Moon Phase

• 608 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09
  • Interests:watches, antiques, history, militaria, old movies and other 'my god i'm old' kind of stuff

...plus '2000ad' and indie\punk\folk music from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

looks ilke i linked the wrong sales post.... it was this one

Anyhoo... the actual lugs on this one seem to be more like 21mm (unless my 20mm strap has shrunk).

The 'hooded' part is smaller of course. Maybe that's the 19.5mm K was referring to? I have no idea what the intention was with the weird lug design, but the benefit is it's an absolute doddle to change straps without tools. There's enough gap between lug and strap to get a thumbnail in, but the hooded part conceals it from above.

#47 OFFLINE   louiswu

Moon Phase

• 608 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09
  • Interests:watches, antiques, history, militaria, old movies and other 'my god i'm old' kind of stuff

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostKutusov, on 13 March 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

I like it!!! I have a pretty bad history with my Okeah, which is now sold anyway... Still, I say a Rally strap looks good with it and it will probably look even better with a light brown one. Take a look at this Hamilton Pan-Europ...
Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it's the right colour for a very blue watch! Shame I found it too late!

It turns out the man over at TF does a brown version of the small-hole Rally. I may just have to obtain one to try out this crazy brown\blue theory of yours.
Will let you know if it works.

#48 OFFLINE   Dazzer

Automatic

• 373 posts
  • Joined 07-December 11

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postlouiswu, on 13 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Here it is with its older cousin.

Posted Image

What does the team think ?

cheers,
Nick

Looks great Nick.
I think a blue strap on the Okeah reissue is too much blue. It's definitely a lot bluer than the originals.
I have to confess to not being a great fan of the reissues but that said I love yours Nick. A black strap works really well.

Just going back in the thread a little Renato your Strela looks fantastic on the tan leather strap with white stitching. I don't think their could be a better combination for that watch.

Thanks for posting the photos chaps, they made me droll :thumbsup:

#49 OFFLINE   Kutusov

Tourbillon

• 12,121 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostDazzer, on 14 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Just going back in the thread a little Renato your Strela looks fantastic on the tan leather strap with white stitching. I don't think their could be a better combination for that watch.

Oh yeah, I think its best combo you can get! Also, Rios straps are absolutely amazing!! There's lots of love around towards Hirsh on all the forums but I think Rios makes better straps than them.

View Postlouiswu, on 14 March 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

l I have no idea what the intention was with the weird lug design, but the benefit is it's an absolute doddle to change straps without tools. There's enough gap between lug and strap to get a thumbnail in, but the hooded part conceals it from above.

I though long and hard about this and I think it has to do with keeping close to the original case. The hooded part makes it look like a 18mm lug watch, just like the original one was. The problem is that heavily padded straps, or very thick ones are not an option with this watch. AFAIR, 3.5mm is as much as you can go. Oh, and you'll see that the light brown/blue it's not a crazy theory at all!! It goes along with the light colour feeling of the watch (all the metallic blue) by diluting it with another colour that doesn't overpowers it. The black tends to do that, although it's also a safe bet. I think the Okeah is a bit darker than the Hamilton, so it should have a slightly darker brown too.

#50 OFFLINE   Vaurien

Automatic

• 495 posts
  • Joined 19-July 10

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postlouiswu, on 13 March 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

What does the team think ?

cheers,
Nick

A beautiful pair!

#51 OFFLINE   louiswu

Moon Phase

• 608 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Many thanks for the kind comments about the Okeah.

Especially this one ....

View PostVaurien, on 14 March 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

A beautiful pair!

I can honestly say no-one has ever said that to me before :icon18:

I just ordered a couple of brown TF rally straps for my pair. we'll see very soon whether Kutosov is a genius or madman.

Will keep you posted

#52 OFFLINE   Kutusov

Tourbillon

• 12,121 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

View Postlouiswu, on 15 March 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

we'll see very soon whether Kutosov is a genius or madman.

The answer is probably reached by replacing the "or" by an "and" :yes: :lol:

I'm not too sure about the kind of brown of the TF straps as I never had one. I think the right tone would be a dark honey brown. Hard to get and to guess from internet photos. I've ordered a few brown ones thinking they would be one colour but then getting a completely different thing. Black is black but the right kind of brown is very hard to shop around.

#53 OFFLINE   louiswu

Moon Phase

• 608 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostKutusov, on 15 March 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

I'm not too sure about the kind of brown of the TF straps as I never had one. I think the right tone would be a dark honey brown. Hard to get and to guess from internet photos. I've ordered a few brown ones thinking they would be one colour but then getting a completely different thing. Black is black but the right kind of brown is very hard to shop around.

Totally agree about the shade variation problem with brown leather. Guess that's why those arty-designy types resort to terms like 'cracked wheat' and 'desert caravan'.

So... the straps arrived. At first i wasn't sure it was right for the Okeah, but i'm sticking with it and it's really starting to grow on me.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

If i was an arty type i might say that the redness of the brown leather really compliments the red of the chrono hands.....
but i'm not so i'll just say i think i like it.

Good call Kutusov :cheers:

#54 OFFLINE   Kutusov

Tourbillon

• 12,121 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Oh yeah!! I wasn't expecting much from the sort of brown the TF strap has but seeing it now, I fully agree!! See? It toned down the blueness a notch without overpowering it and brings up the smaller red details!! I tell you, brown is the way to go with blue dials!!!

Congrats, it looks fabulous!!

Edited by Kutusov, 17 March 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   Vaurien

Automatic

• 495 posts
  • Joined 19-July 10

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

View Postlouiswu, on 15 March 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Many thanks for the kind comments about the Okeah.

Especially this one ....

View PostVaurien, on 14 March 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

A beautiful pair!

I can honestly say no-one has ever said that to me before :icon18:

:stop:

What did I say? I cannot understand. Are you ironical? I wasn't...
I like the Okean, and the chrono too. Both great russian watches, I think.

However I prefer the black strap on the Okean :)

Edited by Vaurien, 23 March 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Kutusov

Tourbillon

• 12,121 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

View PostVaurien, on 23 March 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

:stop:

What did I say? I cannot understand.

:lol: :lol: It's an English thing, works in Portuguese and Spanish too... what do men have in pairs besides arms, legs, hands, ears and eyes? :wink:

...and you said his pair was beautiful! You know how our filthy minds work :D

#57 OFFLINE   louiswu

Moon Phase

• 608 posts
  • Joined 16-May 09

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sorry Vaurien...did not intend to confuse. It's simply childish British humour.

I blame these guys.....

#58 OFFLINE   Vaurien

Automatic

• 495 posts
  • Joined 19-July 10

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Oh, I understand, now!!!

(Something to remember: never use "nice" anymore with english men :taz:)
:D :D :D

Edited by Vaurien, 24 March 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   Kutusov

Tourbillon

• 12,121 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

View PostVaurien, on 24 March 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Oh, I understand, now!!! :D :D :D

Foreign languages can be tricky!!

I had this brief thing with a Spanish girl many years ago and in a particular situation :whistle: she kept saying "Mira voy a caer" (basically, watch out, I'm going to fall down). In Portuguese that sounds pretty much like "watch out, I'm going to :pooh: ". She was not very amused when I suddenly jump away so quickly that she ended up on the floor- Learned a lot of curse words in Spanish during the next 5 minutes. :D

#60 OFFLINE   fliegerchrono

• 3 posts
  • Joined 18-November 13
  • Interests:Watches! :-)

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

I really like that grey textile strap the grey Sturmanskie is on Kutusov, but I am not able to send you a PM! Would you be so kind to tell me where yout got it please?

View PostKutusov, on 03 September 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Postdtc2, on 03 September 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

I have the grey faced strumanskie I need to find a suitable strap for as the one it came on is very poor. I was thinking grey nylon or grey nato may be ideal for that.
NOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!! Not a NATO!!! :bangin: :P I still have my grey Sturmanskie in one of these: Posted Image Posted Image I'll PM you where to get these if you like. The Rios strap on the Strela is very different from the Hirsh Liberty. The Liberty is a matt, thick leather strap, the Rios is a glossy, oiled finished thing and it's padded: Posted Image They feel very different but they're both excellent straps!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users