Budget Watches

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_robert75_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

Just going through my watches based upon personal value, monetary value and durability and started to think what are the best value for money pound for pound watches out there. Personally on a budget and looking under the 300 pound bracket Vostok would be the best for durability, water resistance, keeping reasonable time however their styles can put many people off. Going further up the price scale I would say for me Wenger have been the most impressive. Time keeping, use and style.

What do others think are the best pound for pound watches out there for daily use?

#2 OFFLINE   Rotundus

Perpetual Calendar

• 5,442 posts
  • Joined 07-May 12

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image

for real everyday use then this cost me 77 quid in total including a new 24 zulu and strap adaptors.
same watch at factory spec might still be in sale forum for much less.

or if you prefer something mechanical then a spork will set you back less than 200 notes these days.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   howie77

Moon Phase

• 643 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
  • Interests:guitarin'..
    drinkin'..
    watchin'..?

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

View Postrobert75, on 11 August 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

Just going through my watches based upon personal value, monetary value and durability and started to think what are the best value for money pound for pound watches out there. Personally on a budget and looking under the 300 pound bracket Vostok would be the best for durability, water resistance, keeping reasonable time however their styles can put many people off. Going further up the price scale I would say for me Wenger have been the most impressive. Time keeping, use and style.

What do others think are the best pound for pound watches out there for daily use?

Interesting that you mention Wenger - I had been looking through their catalogue but couldn't find a model that was either hand wound or automatic at a price point I was comfortable with.

Vostok of course, a total winner - reliable (odd report of the occasional Friday special, aside), durable and a real case of throw on and don't worry about...

I'm sure the trusty Seiko SKX will have a fair following, and though I prefer the 3 o'clock crown of the SKX031, the larger 007/009/011 series are true tools as well as aesthetic pieces. Personally of all the Seiko, I love the SBDC001/003/005 aka Sumo but it's more than I'd want to really spend given that I prefer to buy new.

Actually, a relatively underrated contender I believe to be some of the Citizen range such as the NY0040.

Other than that, the CWC W10 (auto or hand wind) or the Hamilton equivalent. Love them. Must get one.

Next!

Edited by howie77, 11 August 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#4 Guest_robert75_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

I forgot the CWC which is 110 quid. I saw a really nice one though for about 220. As for Wenger no I have not seen an automatic but for what they do for the price I have to say I am sold (Like the look of that Seiko though!)

#5 OFFLINE   Mutley

Minute Repeater

• 4,767 posts
  • Joined 17-April 07

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

At sub £100 the Seiko SNZH57K1 deserves a mention

Posted Image

Cheers

Andrew

#6 OFFLINE   howie77

Moon Phase

• 643 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
  • Interests:guitarin'..
    drinkin'..
    watchin'..?

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

View PostMutley, on 11 August 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

At sub £100 the Seiko SNZH57K1 deserves a mention

Posted Image

Cheers

Andrew

Ah yes, the fathoms... bloody glorious mate.

#7 OFFLINE   antonbhoy

Automatic

• 229 posts
  • Joined 24-June 10
  • Interests:Music, football, and fitness

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image
I think this is the best budget watch around. My SKX031

#8 OFFLINE   Alas

Perpetual Calendar

• 5,184 posts
  • Joined 18-June 06

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

For around the £70 mark its hard to beat the Divex/Aqualung 500m watches. Don't have one at the minute so no piccie.

#9 OFFLINE   sparrow

Chronograph

• 1,726 posts
  • Joined 07-February 09

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

CWC G10 by a mile!

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Warby

Automatic

• 352 posts
  • Joined 17-March 10
  • Interests:Shooting, Fishing, Photography

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostAlas, on 12 August 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

For around the £70 mark its hard to beat the Divex/Aqualung 500m watches. Don't have one at the minute so no piccie.

These certainly get my vote too and here is a picture....
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   woody77

Minute Repeater

• 4,196 posts
  • Joined 19-June 11

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

hi one of these two imho all the best woody77.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   woody77

Minute Repeater

• 4,196 posts
  • Joined 19-June 11

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

hi or one of these i saw one nos for that type of money and imho very well made all the best woody77Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 ONLINE   Big Bad Boris

Moon Phase

• 678 posts
  • Joined 03-December 10

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostAlas, on 12 August 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

+1 Stonking value.

I have the Divex version, it has made most of my other watches redundant............. I don't know whether I should thank Tim, or poke him in the eye with a very long stick :D

#14 ONLINE   jaslfc5

Minute Repeater

• 3,882 posts
  • Joined 02-January 07
  • Interests:the art world,my alaskan malamute,gigs,music and xbox360, ps3, my family, walking, golf, cinema, and travelling.antiques,riding,and following Liverpool fc ynwa.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

has to be citizen for me if i was going to spend under 300 on a keeper i wouldnt look at anything else.

under a 100 it would be a g shock .

under 50 something with a fuzzy photo on ebay i do like a gamble.

#15 OFFLINE   Piemuncher23

Automatic

• 190 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I may have mentioned this before, but my quartz Omeaga Seamaster Pro has taken an almost daily beating for the last 7 years, is still pretty much spotless and side from one service about 2 months back has never missed a beat. A little out of some peoples budget, but i think quite reasonable on the second hand market and when I think of price, age and condition, £ for £ this would be my choice for a long term buy in terms of value for money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users