Jump to content


Yellow Zenith Sporto


12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

I'm hoping to find out some information about a Zenith Sporto watch that I've seen for sale. Unfortunately the seller doesn't know much about its history.

Posted Image

Excuse the blurry picture.

The seller believes its from the late 1950s, but having done some research, I've seen similar ones (in black) from the late 1940s. I assume that the yellow dial isn't original. I'm also unsure as to whether it should have the Zenith star on its dial or not.

It's priced at £155. The strap isn't of the highest quality but the dial is in immaculate condition. I'm not sure of the condition of its mechanics, but assuming they're sound, is that a reasonable price?

If anyone could clear anything up for me about the watch or give me some tips about what to look out for when buying it, I'd appreciate it.

#2 OFFLINE   James

    Perpetual Calendar

  • Member
  • 6,339 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ON, CA

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hmm, bet its re-dialed. Not all of them had the star though. The reason I say re-dialed is the subdial is still very white if the dial aged the subdial and rest of dial should be same aging. If its done well then no problem. See if the movement still has the plastic cover over it held with two screws, the guy would have to remove the back cover though.

#3 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

View PostJames, on 12 March 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

Hmm, bet its re-dialed. Not all of them had the star though. The reason I say re-dialed is the subdial is still very white if the dial aged the subdial and rest of dial should be same aging. If its done well then no problem. See if the movement still has the plastic cover over it held with two screws, the guy would have to remove the back cover though.

Thanks, I had similar thoughts as it looks in 'too' good a condition. I should imagine that it's fairly common for watches of this age to be redialed though, so I'm not really put off by it as everything appears to line up as it should.

Hopefully the shop keeper will have the tool to remove the back cover...

#4 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone else have any ideas? I may be buying it tomorrow if it looks like a good buy according to you guys.

#5 OFFLINE   mercuryus

    Automatic

  • Member
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 04-February 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Devon
  • Interests:Music, Art, Books, Gym, Swiss Watches

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

£155 for a vintage Zenith is gvfm in my books! But yeah - check that you have as many original features as possible - and that the movement is in gwo.
If you buy it, please post pics!

#6 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Thanks to the persuasion of mercuryus, I bought it today. I got the sales woman to open up the back cover (after a lot of hassle of trying to find a jeweller in the area that had the right tool) and the mechanics looked very, very clean; along with a Zenith stamp being on the underside of the back cover too. Unfortunately it doesn't have the plastic cover. It's a shame but equally understandable given the age. I'm not sure if I can get a replacement or just make do without it - I can't see this watch suffering much abuse in my hands. So far, it seems to be keeping time well.

I managed to haggle the price down from £155 to £135. Baring in mind that I saw a black face version of this watch sell on eBay last week for £205 - with everything considered - I think it was a good price.

If anyone has any thoughts, history or tips about this watch, please feel free to post them.

I'll make sure to get some pictures up later.

#7 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

Here's a few pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 ONLINE   scottswatches

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,448 posts
  • Joined 22-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melton Mowbray
  • Interests:Failed to give up watch collecting

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Very nice. Zenith watches are seriously undervalued at the moment. I have an original respirator that you could pick up for under £200, whereas the new rereleased ones would be £3,000+ in steel

Worth the difference?
Posted Image
Posted Image

There is a gold one on watchfinder that will give you change out of £7,500. Just!

#9 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

That is an amazing bargain there.

#10 OFFLINE   Deptfordboy

    Manual Wind

  • Member
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 27-October 06
  • Location:SE London

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

View Postscottswatches, on 15 March 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

Very nice. Zenith watches are seriously undervalued at the moment. I have an original respirator that you could pick up for under £200, whereas the new rereleased ones would be £3,000+ in steel

Worth the difference?
Posted Image
Posted Image

There is a gold one on watchfinder that will give you change out of £7,500. Just!

Loving that respirator, and agree about Zenith watches - seriously underrated!

#11 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

This was stolen from me a couple of nights ago, so if anyone on the off-chance sees it for sale anywhere, then please get in contact with me.

#12 ONLINE   scottswatches

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,448 posts
  • Joined 22-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melton Mowbray
  • Interests:Failed to give up watch collecting

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

View Postnickf1, on 16 July 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

This was stolen from me a couple of nights ago, so if anyone on the off-chance sees it for sale anywhere, then please get in contact with me.

sorry to hear that. with the watch being so distinctive it would be worth telling local second hand jewellers or general shops, and obviously eBay is a possibility

Do you have new for old insurance policy?

#13 OFFLINE   nickf1

  • New Member
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-March 11

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

View Postscottswatches, on 17 July 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

sorry to hear that. with the watch being so distinctive it would be worth telling local second hand jewellers or general shops, and obviously eBay is a possibility

Do you have new for old insurance policy?

Thanks, that's a very good idea.

I don't have any insurance on the watch. I'll have to see if our home insurance covers it, but I'm doubtful.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users