Ingersoll Triumph Value?

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MattG

Automatic

• 300 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi guys, this is on behalf of a friend of mine who wanted to know what his watch was worth. Thought I'd do him a favour and see if you guys could make anything of it.

So I've spent the last week or so on and off trying to value this watch by finding the same one and seeing what it sold for. I found it in storage and it's my late Grandads old pocket watch, so it has some amount of sentimental value. I'm a realist though so if I can get more than £50 for it I'll happily sell it.

On the face it says

Ingersoll LTD
London
Triumph

I've looked around and Ingersoll seem to be the Casio of later times, but they can still go for a fair bit. Triumph from what I can gather was made to be the "dollar watch", but adjusting for inflation and collectors and what not I'm sure it's worth a bit more now.

On removal of the rear plate it says

Made is Great Britain

From reading around I gather the 62 is the date it was made, so it's just shy of 50 if I'm correct. So not going to be worth millions.

Here's a pic off my phone if for referance.

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   besspeg

Automatic

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10
  • Interests:Watches more Watches and yes theres Watches also Mercedes cars

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

View PostMattG, on 09 August 2010 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hi guys, this is on behalf of a friend of mine who wanted to know what his watch was worth. Thought I'd do him a favour and see if you guys could make anything of it.

So I've spent the last week or so on and off trying to value this watch by finding the same one and seeing what it sold for. I found it in storage and it's my late Grandads old pocket watch, so it has some amount of sentimental value. I'm a realist though so if I can get more than £50 for it I'll happily sell it.

On the face it says

Ingersoll LTD
London
Triumph

I've looked around and Ingersoll seem to be the Casio of later times, but they can still go for a fair bit. Triumph from what I can gather was made to be the "dollar watch", but adjusting for inflation and collectors and what not I'm sure it's worth a bit more now.

On removal of the rear plate it says

Made is Great Britain

From reading around I gather the 62 is the date it was made, so it's just shy of 50 if I'm correct. So not going to be worth millions.

Here's a pic off my phone if for referance.

Posted Image

i buy them all day long between £5.00 and £10.00 in boot sales best you can hope for on ebay is about £20.00 to £25.00 thats if its mint and working perfect otherwise around £10.00 !

#3 OFFLINE   JWL940

Moon Phase

• 500 posts
  • Joined 11-June 10

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Matt

I agree with Bess, I'm holding one similar to the one in your photo that was bought off the bay as a non-runner. A couple of drops of oil got it working and it continues to work. Cost less than £5:00. Sorry to say you'll not get anything close to £50 for it.

John

#4 OFFLINE   MattG

Automatic

• 300 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll let him know.

#5 OFFLINE   mel

Perpetual Calendar

• Member*
  • 8,504 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

I'd agree with everyone else Matt - but he could always look around for a watch chain (even just a chrome one) and wear it with a waistcoat, or in a top jacket pocket, or in a jeans watch pocket - that's the wee pocket in jeans that you wonder why it's there :lol:

I have two or three Pocket Watches and do wear them across the (pot) belly, it's a fashion statement thing :partytime:

#6 OFFLINE   knirirr

Automatic

• 166 posts
  • Joined 05-May 08
  • Interests:Science, computing, martial arts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

Funnily enough I just bought a similar watch for around £10 in working order. Here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was wondering how old it is, which would appear to be a mere 36 years from what has been mentioned in this thread. Were such watches really being made as late as the 70s?

I discovered after getting it that I'd be better off with one of the same brand but without glowing numerals. It's still a nice watch, though.

#7 OFFLINE   besspeg

Automatic

• Banned
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10
  • Interests:Watches more Watches and yes theres Watches also Mercedes cars

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

View Postknirirr, on 24 August 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

Funnily enough I just bought a similar watch for around £10 in working order. Here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was wondering how old it is, which would appear to be a mere 36 years from what has been mentioned in this thread. Were such watches really being made as late as the 70s?

I discovered after getting it that I'd be better off with one of the same brand but without glowing numerals. It's still a nice watch, though.
yes these were made upto around 1979 i believe your is a 1974 the 74 dnates that earlier ones also had the month they were made in

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users