Jump to content


Seiko Kinetic Sports 200


10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevkojak

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bolton. Greater Manchester
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

Well. I have in my possession a rather nice looking 5M43-0A40 Seiko Kinetic 200m. Cost?....nowt!
Its not running, and my mate had been quoted £95 to get it serviced (in his opinion more than it'd cost to buy a new one!), so it was headed for the bin.
I rescued it for parts really as the bracelet, sapphlex glass, case and bezel are all in really great condition (apart from the bezel missing its luminous dot at 12 o'clock). But now, as I look at it, its too nice to pull apart.
Again, I have to apologise profusely for the lack of pictures, but generally speaking, is this watch worth saving? If not it will end up on the sales page as a spare or repair/donor watch.
I dont have an objection to using Seiko's service centre, but near £100 sounds a lot, even for a kinetic diver.
Advice gentlemen please! Cheers.

#2 OFFLINE   Griff

    Tourbillon

  • Member
  • 11,992 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester.....as of City. Tory free zone
  • Interests:Books, maps, RSPB, clay pigeon shooter, karate, driving, walking, touring, travel.

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

Just get a new rechargeable cell put in

#3 OFFLINE   kevkojak

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bolton. Greater Manchester
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

View PostGriff, on 15 April 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

Just get a new rechargeable cell put in
What would that entail and how much to fit?
Is that a better option than simply having the kinetic 5M movement serviced?

#4 OFFLINE   LuvWatch

    Moon Phase

  • Member
  • 788 posts
  • Joined 14-May 04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Here is a previous post relating to your model and problem

Seiko Kinetic Sports 200 Type 5m43 - 0a40

Also a step by step guide here

How to change the Capacitor of a SEIKO 5M42* Kinetic

Good luck
Derek

#5 OFFLINE   minkle

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 4,236 posts
  • Joined 17-March 08
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:West Oxon

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

View Postkevkojak, on 15 April 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

View PostGriff, on 15 April 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

Just get a new rechargeable cell put in
What would that entail and how much to fit?
Is that a better option than simply having the kinetic 5M movement serviced?


If you can change a battery then you can change the cell in one of these, there is only a tiny bit more to do, the kits are on ebay :good:

#6 OFFLINE   kevkojak

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bolton. Greater Manchester
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Would that by-pass the service? Is it essentially a module exchange, or just another component to conserve charge?
When I rotate the watch I can hear the rotor whirring inside, but the second hand doesn't want to know. Wont budge an inch.
So from that, I'd assume a service is essential?

#7 OFFLINE   minkle

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 4,236 posts
  • Joined 17-March 08
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:West Oxon

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

View Postkevkojak, on 15 April 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Would that by-pass the service? Is it essentially a module exchange, or just another component to conserve charge?
When I rotate the watch I can hear the rotor whirring inside, but the second hand doesn't want to know. Wont budge an inch.
So from that, I'd assume a service is essential?

Theyre a robust movement, its more than likely to be the capacitor, the older ones fail. Its just a rechargable battery.

#8 OFFLINE   kevkojak

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bolton. Greater Manchester
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

View Postminkle, on 15 April 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postkevkojak, on 15 April 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Would that by-pass the service? Is it essentially a module exchange, or just another component to conserve charge?
When I rotate the watch I can hear the rotor whirring inside, but the second hand doesn't want to know. Wont budge an inch.
So from that, I'd assume a service is essential?

Theyre a robust movement, its more than likely to be the capacitor, the older ones fail. Its just a rechargable battery.
Cool. That seems like some sound advice that could save me a few quid. So if I pick up the rechargable cell they're a doddle to fit? Are they watch specific? I dont wanna end up buying the wrong one!
I hate to sound like a layman but internal workings are still a mystery to me! What sort of money are these kits? Cheers for all the help with it.

#9 OFFLINE   minkle

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 4,236 posts
  • Joined 17-March 08
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:West Oxon

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

View Postkevkojak, on 15 April 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

View Postminkle, on 15 April 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postkevkojak, on 15 April 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Would that by-pass the service? Is it essentially a module exchange, or just another component to conserve charge?
When I rotate the watch I can hear the rotor whirring inside, but the second hand doesn't want to know. Wont budge an inch.
So from that, I'd assume a service is essential?

Theyre a robust movement, its more than likely to be the capacitor, the older ones fail. Its just a rechargable battery.
Cool. That seems like some sound advice that could save me a few quid. So if I pick up the rechargable cell they're a doddle to fit? Are they watch specific? I dont wanna end up buying the wrong one!
I hate to sound like a layman but internal workings are still a mystery to me! What sort of money are these kits? Cheers for all the help with it.


I'll send you a PM shortly..

#10 OFFLINE   Service Engineer

    Moon Phase

  • Member
  • 513 posts
  • Joined 28-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Sussex, UK
  • Interests:F1, Watches, Gardening, Computers, Driving, Travel, Holidays in the Caribbean, Snorkelling, Image manipulation (Photoshop etc), Anything to do with aviation, Radio scanner listening.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi, It's a relatively simple straight forward job to do. I found tha hardest part was getting the case back off. Don't be tempted to try to get it off using the points of pliers or anything like that. Buy a proper three point case back removal tool. They're not expensive. Make sure you get the three point one though. The two point ones can slip out easily if you're not very careful/lucky.

All you need then is a set of decent small screwdrivers. No those plastic handled ones you got in your christmas cracker won't do ! Get a set of screwdrivers and also be prepared to maybe have to sand them down to make them an exact fit in the tiny screws you'll be undoing. I sanded mine down on a sheet of 400 grade paper.

Take it slowly and carefully and you'll be fine. It's fiddly but the satisfaction when you've finished and it's back up and running is great. I didn't try and hold the screws with tweezers when refitting them as they would tend to get shot out of the tweezers never to be seen again. Far easier to put the most minute touch of vaseline or light grease on the tip of the screwdriver, use it to hold the screw and then once the screw is engaged and done up a couple of turns, clean off all traces of the grease with a cotton bud stick.

Take it easy and slowly and you'll be fine. Good luck. Be sure to let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

#11 OFFLINE   kevkojak

    Minute Repeater

  • Member
  • 3,967 posts
  • Joined 14-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bolton. Greater Manchester
  • Interests:Watches, Poker, classic cars. General messing about, gotta keep busy haven't you...

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

View PostService Engineer, on 16 April 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

Hi, It's a relatively simple straight forward job to do. I found tha hardest part was getting the case back off. Don't be tempted to try to get it off using the points of pliers or anything like that. Buy a proper three point case back removal tool. They're not expensive. Make sure you get the three point one though. The two point ones can slip out easily if you're not very careful/lucky.

All you need then is a set of decent small screwdrivers. No those plastic handled ones you got in your christmas cracker won't do ! Get a set of screwdrivers and also be prepared to maybe have to sand them down to make them an exact fit in the tiny screws you'll be undoing. I sanded mine down on a sheet of 400 grade paper.

Take it slowly and carefully and you'll be fine. It's fiddly but the satisfaction when you've finished and it's back up and running is great. I didn't try and hold the screws with tweezers when refitting them as they would tend to get shot out of the tweezers never to be seen again. Far easier to put the most minute touch of vaseline or light grease on the tip of the screwdriver, use it to hold the screw and then once the screw is engaged and done up a couple of turns, clean off all traces of the grease with a cotton bud stick.

Take it easy and slowly and you'll be fine. Good luck. Be sure to let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Mike (minkle) has pointed me in the right direction. I'm gonna buy the parts and have a go at swapping the capacitor myself.
My concern was that it was more of a job than swapping the cell.
Thanks for the advice.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users