Rlt 13First Impressions

51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ESL

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 3,509 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:58 PM

Well, it's arrived. Perhaps one of the most unusual watches to be discussed and then finally made, by RLT Watch Company, England.

The "One Handed Watch"

Or, RLT 13, in the RLT series of exceptional timepieces. This is also my my first "true" RLT wristwatch, although I have purchased from Roy before. So I am very pleased to own it, and share the experience that many others have had on this forum, of owning an RLT Original.

This is an "out of the box" experience, - as it arrived today, and on the wrist now - so only first impressions for now.

CASE
This is the same case as the RLT 12 which is Stainless Steel, a nice 40mm dia (43 over the crown) and 20mm lug width. the sides and tops of the lugs are nicely brushed and the crystal retaining ring is brightly polished. I had not appreciated how nice this case is from the photos I had seen before, but it it really is well done. Its very "Omega-esque" in that the lugs have a similar curved finish where they turn to meet the case. The insides of these "bevels" remains highly polished so they contrast nicely with the brushed tops of the lugs.

STRAP
One of the oiled leather variety, in this case brown. It looks almost antique and really suits this watch, I can't see me changing it. The oiled leather straps are very comfortable and terrific value for the money. Fitted with a heavy SS buckle, what more can you say.

THE ONE HANDED WATCH

You have waited long enough - Here it is:

user posted image

As can be seen, this is immediately striking and altogether different than many will be used to. Indeed, you may already be thinking "How on earth do you tell the time on that?" It's actually very simple after you get used to it, and getting used to it took me about 5 minutes.

"The One Hand" is a normal 12 hour hand. Midway between each hour mark is the 30 minute mark, and midway between these, are the 15 minute marks. Finally, there are two smaller marks between each of these, representing 5 minute intervals. In the example above, it is very nearly 1:15. For the vast majority of us, this will be enough. How many times have you asked someone the time and heard the reply "Nearly quarter past 1." Now you can say this with confidence. After all: how many times do we really need to know that it is 1:14 and 32 seconds? Not very many! This is a watch that works the same way most of us do anyway.

Now when you are asked to be somewhere for about quarter-past 1, you can do - WITH STYLE!

The hand is blued steel: almost black straight on, but pleasingly deep metallic blue in the right light. I have tried to capture this is the photos.

MOVEMENT
Pretty standard automatic workhorse, but swiss reliability is guaranteed with a 25 Jewel Automatic Wind ETA 2824-2 with quick set date fitted. Nicely visible via mineral glass view case-back, with a rotor engraved in olde English script "RLT" A nice touch.

DIAL
One of the nicest things for me though, is the dial. Described as "white" it is actually not a full on white (even though that's how it looks in the photos), but more of a vellum or high quality parchment colour, and it has the same sort of matt texture to it, VERY nice indeed. Markings are black and very crisp, ensuring that the fine pointed "Leaf" hand can accurately indicate the correct time index - very important on this watch.

And finally. the wording. Very small, very discreet, but speaking volumes.

RLT Watch Co,
ENGLAND

What better thing to see on a wristwatch? I Hope you enjoyed reading this.

user posted image

#2 OFFLINE   Roy

Administrator

• Admin
  • 14,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

Glad you like it George. wink.gif

Great review by the way, thank you.

#3 OFFLINE   Mal52

Chronograph

• 1,226 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Watches/Photography

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:50 PM

George

Great review..great pics of a beautiful looking watch. heart.gif

Roy

Superb work as usual. punk.gif

Cheers Mal

#4 OFFLINE   Roy

Administrator

• Admin
  • 14,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

Thank You Mal. smile.gif

#5 OFFLINE   namaste

Chronograph

• 1,007 posts
  • Joined 08-May 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

Great pictures and good review George. No boiled eggs I guess huh? laugh.gif

Congrats to the father of the watch too Roy! Love the case.

#6 OFFLINE   JasonG

• 6 posts
  • Joined 08-August 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

ARGGHH!

This is another style of watch I really like!

OK then Roy, how do I get one of these? blink.gif

Also, will you consider a 24hr, one-hand watch? wink2.gif

ttfn

JasonG

#7 OFFLINE   Roy

Administrator

• Admin
  • 14,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (JasonG @ Sep 7 2004, 07:44 PM)
OK then Roy, how do I get one of these?  blink.gif

Hello Jason,

here's how you do it.

1 : Tell me to make you one.
2 : Wait a few days
3 : Show me the money laugh.gif

The price is £125 + postage.

There are no plans to make a 24 hour one at this time.

Cheers

#8 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,773 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:54 PM

Goerge,

Brilliant review and darned good pictutes. It looks abosolutely stunning in the flesh.

Roy,

Another great idea, well executed. wink.gif

#9 OFFLINE   pg tips

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 18,651 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03
  • Interests:mainly milf really

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (ESL @ Sep 7 2004, 02:58 PM)
The hand is blued steel: almost black straight on, but pleasingly deep metallic blue in the right light. I have tried to capture this is the photos.

You certainly did, fantastic review and pictures. I never though I'd want one but I do now!

#10 OFFLINE   ESL

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 3,509 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I must admit PG, I was not really sure myself, until I saw it in the flesh. The case is outstanding, you could easily make a very good Omega Railmaster homage using it. (Not that I'm hinting of course ph34r.gif ) and that dial! Whenever I glance at it, as you do (often) with a new watch, I am reminded more often than not of some sort of measuring display: like it's a steam -guage or something.

As for boiled eggs: 5 minute eggs are a doddle laugh.gif and if you stopped cooking just before a five minute marker, you could get a passable 3-4 minute egg. wink.gif

#11 OFFLINE   ron

Automatic

• 494 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
  • Interests:Watches and Conspiracy Theories

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

I really like that smile.gif

Great review and pics George wink.gif

Interesting it can tell time down to the nearest 5 mins - I didn't think it would be that precise, but I agree with the point you make about "how many times do we really need to know that it is 1:14 and 32 seconds?". This is true.

Nice one Roy

Edited by ron, 08 September 2004 - 11:23 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Gordon

Manual Wind

• 62 posts
  • Joined 08-August 03
  • Interests:Bikes, Watches.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:49 PM

biggrin.gif Can't resist! After reading the above excellent review and seeing the "Moon blued steel hand" I'm smitten heart.gif . Just placed my order.

Great looking watch Roy!

#13 OFFLINE   Roy

Administrator

• Admin
  • 14,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Gordon @ Oct 3 2004, 06:49 PM)
biggrin.gif Can't resist! After reading the above excellent review and seeing the "Moon blued steel hand" I'm smitten heart.gif . Just placed my order.

Great looking watch Roy!

Very good choice Gordon, I like the moon hand too.

Just so you know how rare it will be , I have only made three pieces of this watch with a moon hand.

#14 OFFLINE   Gordon

Manual Wind

• 62 posts
  • Joined 08-August 03
  • Interests:Bikes, Watches.

Posted 05 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

biggrin.gif Rlt13 waiting for me when I got home from work biggrin.gif

Cheers Roy! I like it!!! biggrin.gif

#15 OFFLINE   Roy

Administrator

• Admin
  • 14,118 posts