Best Built Compass Watch

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BathTone_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Whats the best built watch with a compass built in (and at reasonable value)? I find the Casio's are generally too big. Got my eye on the Suunto range. Is the Tissot T Touch worth paying more for? Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   tall_tim

Minute Repeater

• 3,863 posts
  • Joined 29-July 09
  • Interests:Rugby, river/sea kayaking, East Africa, mountaineering and running.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

View PostBathTone, on 22 December 2009 - 09:06 PM, said:

Whats the best built watch with a compass built in (and at reasonable value)? I find the Casio's are generally too big. Got my eye on the Suunto range. Is the Tissot T Touch worth paying more for? Thanks
I have had all 3 and all had good and bad points. I suppose it depends on what you intend to use it for. If it is for hiking etc, then the suunto would be the way to go as they are designed for use in the wilds. If it is more as a gadget then I would go down the tissot line, though I have heard horror stories with the touch crystal. Will be under warranty though so should be covered. Don't discount the casio, as they are getting more lightweight now.

#3 Guest_BathTone_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanking you Tim

#4 OFFLINE   Flibb

Manual Wind

• 65 posts
  • Joined 02-November 09
  • Interests:Photography, shooting, astronomy.

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

I had a casio that survived years of abuse, and after one particularly heavy rock encounter repalced it with a sunto vector, out of the two the casio is the tougher, but the sunto is better for navigation.

#5 OFFLINE   Flibb

Manual Wind

• 65 posts
  • Joined 02-November 09

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

Just another thought, the observer looks to be heavier built than the vector. Havent had a proper play with one though.

#6 Guest_BathTone_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

I've seen a watch strap with a mini compass built but I'm not sure I'd stake my life on trusting it! (But then would I with any watch compass??

#7 OFFLINE   tall_tim

Minute Repeater

• 3,863 posts
  • Joined 29-July 09
  • Interests:Rugby, river/sea kayaking, East Africa, mountaineering and running.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

View PostBathTone, on 27 December 2009 - 05:35 PM, said:

I've seen a watch strap with a mini compass built but I'm not sure I'd stake my life on trusting it! (But then would I with any watch compass??
If my life depended on it, which frequently it does when I'm in the mountains- I would take those built in strap compass over a watches compess every time.

The built in to the strap compass is a simple magnetised needle in a liquid filled bubble- not much can go wrong provided normal compass rules are adhered to (use near metal or iron rich rocks for example), the tissot, casio etc rely on batteries and electronics for it to power on and then on you calibrating it and then normal compass rules on top of that!

For that reason, that's why for navigation when the weather closes in, I only use a silva 'normal' compass and use gps and a gadget watch when conditions are favourable and any mistake only costs me time.

#8 OFFLINE   Defender

Chronograph

• 1,185 posts
  • Joined 27-January 09
  • Interests:Most things mechanical really, Bikes, Cycles, Cars, Trains, Trucks, Planes, 4x4's - especially Land Rovers! Industrial Architecture.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

I have two, a Casio Pro Trek and a Timex Expedition.
The Casio is digital and works OK, have only used it as a rough direction finder/indicator.
The Timex is analog with a needle type indicator, also find as a general direction finder/indicator.
As others have said if I want to make an exact bearing then I'd use an instrument specifically designed for the job such as the Sylva TD Ranger compass I've had since I was a Scout!

Best regards,

Defender :astro:.

#9 OFFLINE   JonW

Perpetual Calendar

• 9,217 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

IWC and Breitling (and some others) did a watch where the top half slid off to reveal a 'real' compass underneath, maybe look for one of those?

#10 Guest_BathTone_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

I also use a normal Silva compass when up the hills. Sometimes along with GPS Garmin 76C, mobile phone, maps, swiss army knife, whistle..........I can't move any more, no wonder I get tired halfway up!! Sorry off topic now.

#11 OFFLINE   Flibb

Manual Wind

• 65 posts
  • Joined 02-November 09

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

View PostBathTone, on 30 December 2009 - 11:41 AM, said:

I also use a normal Silva compass when up the hills. Sometimes along with GPS Garmin 76C, mobile phone, maps, swiss army knife, whistle..........I can't move any more, no wonder I get tired halfway up!! Sorry off topic now.

One plus point with some Sunto is that the battery is user changeable, using only a coin to open the compartment. Their main business appears to be making diving kit, so they are used to making stuff that people depend on. Weight wise the Vector is about the same as my g-shock. But I do carry a silva baseplate compass secured to my walking jacket.

Edited by Flibb, 03 January 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Griff

Tourbillon

• 11,992 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03
  • Interests:Books, maps, RSPB, clay pigeon shooter, karate, driving, walking, touring, travel.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'd prefer just to use a separate compass, but think the Casio's are good

#13 OFFLINE   Griff

Tourbillon

• 11,992 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03
  • Interests:Books, maps, RSPB, clay pigeon shooter, karate, driving, walking, touring, travel.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Used to have one of these and compass feature was good
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   broken guzzi

Manual Wind

• 68 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10
  • Interests:motorbikes, running, shooting, watches

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

I have had a suunto X-lander for a few years now and the compass is good but as other folks have said its best left as a back up to a proper compass, the rest of the watch is great and i recommend it, though its a bit on the large side if that bothers you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users