Best Value Watches (Scandal Part 2)

36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kc104

Moon Phase

• 866 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09
  • Interests:Auto watches, Watch winders and gold.

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

To continue on from my post about how some watch companies are taking the mickey out of some customers (depending on the model in question) I would like to continue with this :

I call all experts and watch enthusiasts (basically the entire forum) to place their opinions on the best VALUE watches.

This does not mean you need to mention the 9.99 lidl stainless steel watches one can get, and call it good value because you have purchased a watch for less than a tenner, this is a serious debate. I shall begin by giving my suggestions :

(1) Orient reserve (80 - 150 pounds)
(reason) You get an automatic watch with reasonable build quality, and not a bad automatic movement.

(2) Brietlings of the cheaper kind (superocean, cockpit)
(reason1) Large high quality casing and bracelets.cosc.
(reason2) they look dam good on the wrist.
(reason3) resale value is not bad.
(disadvantage1) eta - although I am not knowledgeable enough to know if this is a disadvantage, that is, over the possibility of them making their own movement 100 percent.

(3) Rolex (multiple models)
This is a strange one, is it not so hear me out.
(disadvantage) rolex have increased prices by at least 20 percent in the last 5 years, therefore buying one now on average is going to cost you an extra 1000 pounds, and you are getting !!! Nothing for that.
(advantage) the exact counter to the disadvantage. My friend has a just date with 2tone jubelee that he paid 3000 for 6 years ago. Becasue the same watch is now 5800 he could probebly sell his and make a small loss or even break even.
(Reason2)In house movement, smack bang in your face (and a dam good movement at that).

(4)Dreffas+co, affordable hand made swiss movements. 350 or lower for most models (ones with gold obviously more). What I don't know, as I have never had one is, quality of casing and bracelets on such watches.

Of course, feel free to disagree with me on any point, there are just my feelings and opinions on the matter, as for the facts, if I got anything wrong above, pls correct me.

Oh, I know this is in swiss section but open to all. If that means subject has to be moved, no probs.

#2 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,773 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Sounds like you're on a crusade against the Swiss to me Andy.:wink1:

#3 OFFLINE   kc104

Moon Phase

• 866 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

no, no. It's 2 things really. I have come to quite like this forum and the people in it. I ask a lot of questions directly to do with me and what I am interested in directly. After reading some post about a guy trying to sell his rolex on here (still trying to sell it) one of the comments was that he does not contribute to the forum, so I wanted to give something back (i am also interested in this issue) and start topics that others may find useful too.

I am a complete novice to the watch world but have learned a lot just reading the posts here. I was totally prepared to part with my cash for exactly what tomshep said - blind belief that because I thought I was buying into the brand / logo, that that would automatically accompany quality. To find out this is not so for some models hah. I am upset, firstly because I quite liked the look of that tag indy 500, but now look at it in a totally different way.

#4 OFFLINE   Johnny_E

Automatic

• 233 posts
  • Joined 16-November 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

I'm in the same boat. I'm reading with interest because I want to buy a 'luxury' brand next year but I don't want the #%^* ripped out of me by profiteering marketeers. What I'd like to see at the end of this is a list of makers that the members here hold in high regard. Not just as a 'brand' but as a maker of fine and high quality watches.

Of course, budget effects the possibilty of owning one, but who makes real quality these days? Maybe vintage is the way to go.

#5 OFFLINE   pugster

Minute Repeater

• 3,437 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

brand names are always more expensive, the bigger the brand the bigger the profit margin and the more you pay :) , easiest way is just buy what you like and we all have our own views.

(reason) You get an automatic watch with reasonable build quality, and not a bad automatic movement.

buy a seiko instead, better build quality and proven movements

(2) Brietlings of the cheaper kind (superocean, cockpit)

cheap breitling=quartz ,personally i like an engnine in my car when i buy it, not just the battery :P ,looking good is a personal view, personally i think most look bloody awful, eta make arounf 95% of watch movement-nowt wrong with them at all

(3) Rolex (multiple models)

good resale value tho not much development/design over the years imo,

(4)Dreffas+co,

never heard of them and a net search gave no hits, tho at £350 for an in house movement quality will be chinese style (nothing wrong with chinese watches tho £350 would be a bit steep for one imo)

#6 OFFLINE   mach 0.0013137

Atomic Clock

• 28,840 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

View Postpugster, on 21 December 2009 - 11:40 AM, said:

buy a seiko instead, better build quality and proven movements

Sorry but I can`t agree with you there, I`ve owned quite a few Orients & Seikos over the years & while I`ll except that some older Orients weren`t as good as Seikos, IMO the modern ones are just as good :wink2:

#7 OFFLINE   Livius de Balzac

Chronograph

• 1,078 posts
  • Joined 06-October 06

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

View Postpugster, on 21 December 2009 - 11:40 AM, said:

(4)Dreffas+co,

never heard of them and a net search gave no hits, tho at £350 for an in house movement quality will be chinese style (nothing wrong with chinese watches tho £350 would be a bit steep for one imo)

Dreyfuss & Co is a “make believe” luxury brand. Chinese cases, dials and hands, assembled in Switzerland with Swiss made ETA movements.

#8 OFFLINE   josep

Manual Wind

• 66 posts
  • Joined 23-December 08

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

Id say that JLC are good VFM in the luxury watch segment.

A fraction of the cost of PP but not too far off the quality and in some cases use a very similar movement.

#9 OFFLINE   kc104

Moon Phase

• 866 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

lol, first I would like to apologize for my spelling.

Ernest Jones sell many of their models. And this, not surprising me but yet another let down is LDB's statement. Pugster, This is a debate that can be taken from many angles. My orient cost 80 pounds, so can you get a high quality seiko auto for that price new. Maybe. Cost is a factor.

Oh, when I said cheap brietling, I meant of the 2000 - 3000 range, i.e. super ocean, avenger and so on. Not the quartz versions, and of course you are right, it is my opinion that they look nice.

Would you honor us and give us your suggestions on what you think is good value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy what you like. That for me has a different, more complex meaning (in relation to watches) than it once did. If you are talking about 1 - 300 pounds, then yeah, impulse buy / it looked nice / you liked the feel / what ever. But start adding another 0, and i guess all I am saying I want something that is a bit special in all ways, not only special to me, special in its movement and how it is built.

#10 OFFLINE   kc104

Moon Phase

• 866 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Ah yes, I was waiting for Jaeger-Le-Coultre to come up.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but, these guys build and construct their own movements. However, this is reflected in the price. If you want new you got to have at least 4000 pounds. So we now get into rolex kind of price territory.

I have not heard mentioned IWC yet.

I tell you, I like their spitfire watches. A local watch store owner told me that they only build around 100,000 pieces a year. Do they make their own movements, or do they use ETA.

(5) IWC spitfire - 3000 pounds ish.
(disadvantage) Pilots watch, not meant for water at all (i think)

#11 OFFLINE   Parabola

Chronograph

• 2,251 posts
  • Joined 01-August 07
  • Location:Manchester though work insists I adopt a nomadic lifestyle
  • Interests:Militant capitalism

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Best value watches...

Second hand just about anything

#12 OFFLINE   Benzowner

Automatic

• 463 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

View PostParabola, on 21 December 2009 - 12:54 PM, said:

Best value watches...

Second hand just about anything
An excellent suggestion, only problem is that you have to buy what is available, not possibly excatly what you want. However, there are some excellent dealers out there who trade in second hand watches and have some interesting stuff on offer.

#13 OFFLINE   kc104

Moon Phase

• 866 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

hmm, could I say this -

Second hand is a whole other debate in itself, so quite rightly I will start a new topic for that.

#14 OFFLINE   Paulus

Automatic

• 123 posts
  • Joined 12-November 09

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

Disregarding brand image and snob factor but focusing on functionality, quality and design for the money then Casio

If you follow the "must be mechanical" line then Seiko/Orient/Citizen & anything well finished with a seagull movement (Alpha, Parnis, etc.), RLT, Precista, etc.

Personally I have an inverse snobbery thing going and even if I had piles of cash would struggle to buy a watch where such a huge percentage of the asking price is going on marketing and mark up.

#15 OFFLINE   mel

Perpetual Calendar

• Member*
  • 8,715 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

It's all relative - VFM watches can be the LIDL SS you didn't want mentioned if you're on a strictly limited budget - or it can be a Timex Ironman if you don't want (or can't afford) a G-Shock - it's all relative! :yes:

You need to balance your budget with what is available to you at the time - if you have a monthly budget, can you be STRONG enough to let it build up for (say) six months till you get enough cash together to go for that exclusive purchase you really, really want? :to_become_senile:

So I've got a budget of £50 per month, in six months I could buy a nice £300 watch (an RLT?) - but Commander Bond might have a budget of £400 per month (he just doesn't let Big M know) and he can buy himself another Rolex in six months time - it's still relative to the disposable income that's available. :aggressive:

As to whether the Commander's Rolex is eight times better than the RLT watch I might buy at the six months mark - well that's an entirely different debate, and for different reasons.

My 2c worth! :yes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users